3DCoat Forums

point-to-point welding

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

2 hours ago, s598668603 said:

I can't do point-to-point welding conveniently, I want point-to-point welding to be as convenient as 3Dmax

You can do this with the MOVE tool, the Add/Split Tool, Points to Polygons, and Strokes tool (via RMB click and drag a vertex onto another)

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

10 hours ago, s598668603 said:

It's hard to aim at the target point:dash2:

I think that is because movement is screen based, so you would probably need to move your camera where the view is somewhat perpendicular to the edge the vertex is moving along. So, close to a side view. I know it is a bit frustrating, but this functionality was really created for the RETOPO workspace, which would keep that vertex constrained to the underlying high poly model via the AUTO-SNAP option at the top of the UI. This is one of those situations where the MOVE tool needs to be modified/enhanced to work better in a Poly-Modeling environment.

You can request this at support@pilgway.com. Maybe the developer (Alexander) who works on the Modeling/Retopo room will chime in, here.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Please make a short video on how welding is done in 3DMax.
How to set a point to which to move another when welding?

You can see the author cover this feature (starting) at the 4:13 minute mark in the video. 3ds Max essentially highlights the targeted vertex when the cursor is over it. I guess the closest vertex (to the camera) within the brush radius, should be highlighted when using the MOVE tool and other tools with vertex-welding functionality using the RMB drag option?

Perhaps you can enable a hotkey like CTRL, when pressed down, to constrain the movement of the original vertex along the edge (rather than just screen space)?

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

You can see the author cover this feature (starting) at the 4:13 minute mark in the video. 3ds Max essentially highlights the targeted vertex when the cursor is over it. I guess the closest vertex (to the camera) within the brush radius, should be highlighted when using the MOVE tool and other tools with vertex-welding functionality using the RMB drag option?

Perhaps you can enable a hotkey like CTRL, when pressed down, to constrain the movement of the original vertex along the edge (rather than just screen space)?

you can weld verts using points to polygon...

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Elemeno said:

i was using the modelling workspace...

Yes, I understand that there are Retopo tools in the modeling workspace, but they were never designed to be poly-modeling tools, where you build geometry in empty 3D space, rather than on top of existing models. They were designed to work while constrained to the surface of a high poly sculpt object. Therefore they are challenging to use without an underlying model. The MOVE tool is a good example. It wasn't designed to be manipulated in empty 3D space, but move while snapped/constrained to the surface of a sculpt object. With that in mind, I presumed the OP was poly modeling in the Modeling workspace and wanted to weld vertices together like he could in 3ds Max. I presumed that because he mentioned having difficulty making it snap weld to the target vertex. If there was a model beneath that it was being snapped to, he would not have this difficulty.