3DCoat Forums

Does 3dcoat have this problem when sculpting?

artistmitch

Question

So i dont currently have 3dcoat at the moment, ive been using nomad sculpt on the ipad and i ran into an issue that i was wondering if its an issue with all sculpting programs and specifically if 3dcoat has it. 

So i like to have an already posed singular base mesh to a similar style to zspheres. And basically using it as a skeleton to then build up the main body shapes. 

But when the meshes used for limbs like arms are close to other parts of the body like the torso. It becomes hard to sculpt without affecting both unintentionally, like with dragging parts and building up It will distort the areas that are too close.

So im just wondering if 3dcoat has that problem and how to solve it if i wanted to sculpt for a specific pose that has body parts close together but without touching?

7 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

2 hours ago, artistmitch said:

So i dont currently have 3dcoat at the moment, ive been using nomad sculpt on the ipad and i ran into an issue that i was wondering if its an issue with all sculpting programs and specifically if 3dcoat has it. 

So i like to have an already posed singular base mesh to a similar style to zspheres. And basically using it as a skeleton to then build up the main body shapes. 

But when the meshes used for limbs like arms are close to other parts of the body like the torso. It becomes hard to sculpt without affecting both unintentionally, like with dragging parts and building up It will distort the areas that are too close.

So im just wondering if 3dcoat has that problem and how to solve it if i wanted to sculpt for a specific pose that has body parts close together but without touching?

What you would probably want to do in such a situation, is to keep the individual limbs on their own layer, so that the torso or hips are not affected when you are sculpting your forms. Later, when you have completed your early block out/rough forms stage and maybe even the intermediate form stage, then you could merge the limbs with the torso and head. 3DCoat has a Mannequin available to use for this very purpose. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, artistmitch said:

I have never heard of such a problem. You can download the demo and try sculpting. If you have any questions, we are always here to help you.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, artistmitch said:

could always hide the frozen area

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

What you would probably want to do in such a situation, is to keep the individual limbs on their own layer, so that the torso or hips are not affected when you are sculpting your forms. Later, when you have completed your early block out/rough forms stage and maybe even the intermediate form stage, then you could merge the limbs with the torso and head. 3DCoat has a Mannequin available to use for this very purpose. 

Wow thanks for the video tutorial it helps alot. i will take what you suggested but i think i’ll work on pieces separately and once its detailed and complete, then ill merge just to be safe. I also wasnt aware of 3Dcoat having an actual mannequin so thank you for showing that. 

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, artistmitch said:

Wow thanks for the video tutorial it helps alot. i will take what you suggested but i think i’ll work on pieces separately and once its detailed and complete, then ill merge just to be safe. I also wasnt aware of 3Dcoat having an actual mannequin so thank you for showing that. 

You are very welcome. I hope it is a good solution for you.