3DCoat Forums

Image specifications: Positive and negative depth

poeboi

Question

• Contributor

Hello, I am a bit stumped about how to create proper images to use as alphas, which respect positive and negative depth values simultaneously

to be clear what I want to achieve is that in surface mode in sculpt room, the depth when painting with the alpha or image does not only contribute positive depth

From build 2023.07 notes:

- The important changes for ALPHAS: now alphas imported from images (including exr) may be mixed positive and negative, it allows making more realistic skin details. Negative alphas work for draw/extrude-like brushes in sculpt room. Additional option - Alphas may be imported as rounds with accurate falloff, it simplifies making alphas from the raw textures a lot. This option available in alphas palette or using drag&drop.

image.thumb.png.9a379aa4d37b7304b96c18aa673041f5.png

I greatly appreciate any and all information regarding
- what the image format needs to be
- what contributes positive and what contributes negative, values color? channels?

I wonder also if this will work for layers in smart materials or image texture projection painting as well

Thank you for your time!

2 answers to this question

PNG 16bit

If the image is B&W/no Alpha = grey degree is used as depth and color/specular (2 & 3)
image.png

- If the image is B&W/with Alpha = alpha is used as depth and specular, grey gradient for color (1)
image.jpeg

- Point 4 is self explanatory

BW_NA.png

BW_WA.png