3DCoat Forums

[Feature] No more interactive dead Zones

NinjaTaco

• Advanced Member

No more interactive dead Zones

I make a cube. I bevel an edge. Lets see how each application handles clicking away from bevel.

What does each application do when clicking away from the bevel area?

Maya - deselects or selects and terminates the bevel operation.

Modo - toggles the bevel tool.

Nvil - selects selects or deselects. Nvil has no icon

Zbrush - *it rotates the view

Blender - terminates the bevel operation

3DCoat - Nothing.. It does nothing when you click anywhere else. It doesn’t even turn off the bevel tool!

No more interactive dead Zones

There are no dead zones or non interactive zones on an interface. EVER! There is only dead interaction that the developer chose to make.

I activate extrude or bevel, something should happen when I click outside of the icon tool handle. Right now, nothing happens.

Look at the interface as buttons. The lack of an icon in a visual space does not designate a dead zone.

3dc modeler needs to default to a “selection mode” or something else. Not a “nothing action”

Repeat after me….

“There are no interactive dead zones on an interface.”

“I solemnly swear to never make another interactive dead zone on an interface.”

I don't care if you have to negate the bevel handles existence. No more interactive dead zones.

I shouldn't have to make these videos. These types of problems are painfully self evident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

you make a serious point here .. 

ive always said each room should have specific hotkeys .. i never use modelling room in 3dcoat , its just too slow and hurts my workflow ... 

but 3dcoat is also super quick in other areas ... 

so maybe for modelling room we could maybe get a blender script or something ? that hotkeys used and apply instantly rather than using one tool to select then another tool to bevel and then accepting that size and applying ... 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 3:20 AM, Elemeno said:

you make a serious point here .. 

ive always said each room should have specific hotkeys .. i never use modelling room in 3dcoat , its just too slow and hurts my workflow ... 

but 3dcoat is also super quick in other areas ... 

so maybe for modelling room we could maybe get a blender script or something ? that hotkeys used and apply instantly rather than using one tool to select then another tool to bevel and then accepting that size and applying ... 

Yes each room needs to have its own hotkeys.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Camera > Customize Navigation

- Turn off LMB Navigation Is In Nav Zone.

image.jpeg

- At the very bottom uncheck Display Nav Zone and change Navi Zone Width to 0.

image.jpeg

This is not useful as it doesn't fix the core of the problem with the design philosophy. There are dozens of tools with this same exact problem. This doesn't even come close to fixing the problem otherwise the devs might as well make a headless version of 3dcoat and let the user solve the problems with the UI. Simply put no one has any interest in managing config files or setting custom hotkeys. Some devs figure this out and build the tools in a "ready to go" state.
Part of the reason the majority of users don't want to deal with custom configs is because they are likely using multiple tools already and they don't want to manage custom configs for those either.

Tools that are designed in a "ready to go" are the ones that get used. Tools that require tweaking and nuance tend to have a dying user base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] No more interactive dead Zones