3DCoat Forums

3DCoat Applink Update for Blender 4.0 Installation

Carlosan

• 1 month later...

I tried to get the Applink to work but I can only get it to "Send" from Blender to 3DCoat.  I cannot get it back into Blender.  I have tried just a simple cube with no unwrapping and no udims.  I get it into 3DCoat.  I put a couple of colors on it in 3DCoat.  I save it as a 3b file.  Then I go to Export To>Blender and save it as an fbx.  And then I set my Export Presets as in the first attached picture.  I set it to go to the Blender App-Link. Because in the simple  cube I sent, I did not unwrap to UDIMS in Blender (I want to export and import a file with UDIMS but felt I should simply try to do the least complicated setup).  I unchecked "Export UV Sets as Tiles."

The result was  a lot of error messages when I hit "GetBack" in Blender.  I cannot take a screengrab of the error message as it stays only as long as the cursor remains over the message.  And to write it out would take a couple hundred words.  So that method did not work.

"Open in Original App" had the same error message.

Trying to use Export Objects and Textures also left me baffled with no results.

I apologize for asking to be hand-held through getting this to work.  3D Coat has, by far the best tools for hand painting 3D objects.  So I am frustrated that I cannot get the two programs to connect.  A few years ago I had no problem as the Applink worked seamlessly.

I do not understand why there are so few tutorials on this process of getting a model from Blender into 3D Coat and back again.  I have been a traditional illustrator for over 55 years and that is why I want to hand-paint my model.

I upgraded 3D Coat to version 2023.40 (and upgraded the Applink as it prompted me to) and am using Blender 4.02

I appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks

Screenshot 2024-01-21 170154.png

Edited by michaelws

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

Maybe this video will help. I have not installed Blender 4 yet so I can not give a method except to direct you to the video. 

Edit: I did not see Carlosan had given the same link. Opps