3DCoat Forums

Make zooming less sensitive

philnolan3d

As you can see in this little video (or in 3DC yourself) zooming in and out of an object has to be done pretty delicately. If you move the mouse at what you would think is a normal speed the camera zooms in and out way too fast. I find this is even harder to control with a tablet and stylus. With voxels this can be fixed by increasing the object size (decreasing density) a couple of times, but obviously there's no option for that in painting or retopo.

http://screencast.com/t/jq6Yo9b0gjn

• Advanced Member
this will sound like I'm being silly but I'm not, anyway at times the overly sensitive zoom has given me slight motion-sickness!

Agreed Phil.

I actuallly like the Zoom-responsiveness in most cases.

However there are situations where one only wants to move the camera ever so tiny.

Maybe a Slow Zoom/Pan/Rotate mode made sense? One presses an additional button and every motion takes place at a fraction of the normal speed.

For now -decreasing Zoom Speed in Preferences might make sense.

Personally I'd rather not have to press another button while using 3DC. Pressing one at a time is already a pain in the backside.

I came up with a way for this issue, it would be based on the mode you're using to navigate, this would be specific to pick point and custom point (but would work with the others, but wouldn't be as useful). Basically the speed of zooming would be determined by the distance from the camera to the pick point (or custom). The closer you got, the slower it would zoom, the further away, the faster. To control the speed and the falloff of this, would be a slider for each (speed and falloff) in the Edit>Preferences panel.

That would be perfect since you need the slower zooming when you are up close, but far away and slower zooming would get annoying. Another less fancy option would be manual control over the zooming speed. Like hitting the [ and ] bracket keys in LW Layout.

That would be perfect since you need the slower zooming when you are up close, but far away and slower zooming would get annoying. Another less fancy option would be manual control over the zooming speed. Like hitting the [ and ] bracket keys in LW Layout.

Yes that too would be much welcomed for those times when you simply want to control it manually. :)