3DCoat Forums

Time for 3DC to take a page from...

AbnRanger

IMO, no need to talk.

In ZBrush videos they don't talk very mush or don't talk at all. :D

Another company which has great marketing is Luxology they are great and used several videos to promote Modo

with a sort of weekly reveal

www.luxology.com

http://www.luxology.com/modo/tour/

http://www.luxology.com/training/

about gallery: i do agree

it should be often updated with best works from users. Maybe a system directly connected with forum would work well.

• 1 month later...

I think going head to head with Zbrush and Mudbox would be a big mistake. Mudbox has the backing of Autodesk and Zbrush of Gnomon and they both have more resourses. You won't compete with them and will either end up playing catchup for ever or forcibly bought out. Best bet would be to go down a complimentary line. Promote the use of 3DCoat WITH zbrush or Mudbox, not instead of. Most importantly get the backing of the zbrush community instead of alienating them and making them feel that their investment in zbrush is wasted. I use 3DCoat for the things I can't do as quickly in zbrush because of the core nature of zbrush but then I still use zbrush for the things its better at than 3DCoat.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I think going head to head with Zbrush and Mudbox would be a big mistake. Mudbox has the backing of Autodesk and Zbrush of Gnomon and they both have more resourses. You won't compete with them and will either end up playing catchup for ever or forcibly bought out. Best bet would be to go down a complimentary line. Promote the use of 3DCoat WITH zbrush or Mudbox, not instead of. Most importantly get the backing of the zbrush community instead of alienating them and making them feel that their investment in zbrush is wasted. I use 3DCoat for the things I can't do as quickly in zbrush because of the core nature of zbrush but then I still use zbrush for the things its better at than 3DCoat.

That's fine, but obviously ZBrush revenue stream is from NEW users...many of which likely compare it with other competing products. Nobody likes having to learn a totally new piece of software if you don't HAVE to. Thus, a good video marketing effort on Andrew's part is a must to appeal to this market...newcomers to sculpting/painting. And as in any good marketing campaign, if your product has some unique features/qualities, then you want to accentuate those.

I'm not saying Andrew needs to but heads with ZBrush directly on the merits of it's sculpting tools alone...but provide a marketing video or two that points out...in a nut shell...the unique aspects of the program, as well as the capabilities of it's sculpting toolset. I don't intend to try and learn multiple sculpting applications. I chose 3DC because of it's 3D texture painting abilities (I think it's the best in the business now...and for that alone, it's worth the price of admission), and the fact that it provides very capable sculpting/detailing tools and works with my SpacePilot, it's a no brainer for me.

So, the point of using the same type of marketing tools (video highlights with thick gooey layers of marketing speak and jazzy background music) is in order here. Word of mouth is great, but let's face it marketing is an industry unto itself, and for 3DC to grow as the program merits, then it needs some serious marketing help. Plenty of folks in the industry have no clue as to what 3DC is or does. Some crafty marketing videos will help get the word out. That's all.

• Contributor

That's fine, but obviously ZBrush revenue stream is from NEW users...many of which likely compare it with other competing products. Nobody likes having to learn a totally new piece of software if you don't HAVE to. Thus, a good video marketing effort on Andrew's part is a must to appeal to this market...newcomers to sculpting/painting. And as in any good marketing campaign, if your product has some unique features/qualities, then you want to accentuate those.

I'm not saying Andrew needs to but heads with ZBrush directly on the merits of it's sculpting tools alone...but provide a marketing video or two that points out...in a nut shell...the unique aspects of the program, as well as the capabilities of it's sculpting toolset. I don't intend to try and learn multiple sculpting applications. I chose 3DC because of it's 3D texture painting abilities (I think it's the best in the business now...and for that alone, it's worth the price of admission), and the fact that it provides very capable sculpting/detailing tools and works with my SpacePilot, it's a no brainer for me.

So, the point of using the same type of marketing tools (video highlights with thick gooey layers of marketing speak and jazzy background music) is in order here. Word of mouth is great, but let's face it marketing is an industry unto itself, and for 3DC to grow as the program merits, then it needs some serious marketing help. Plenty of folks in the industry have no clue as to what 3DC is or does. Some crafty marketing videos will help get the word out. That's all.

3D World mag. did a small piece on it, but that was before 3.0. I suggested they do a bigger article on it after 3.0 came out and they said they were looking into doing that. I can't afford to pick up every issue so I don't know if they did or not. I'm assuming I would've heard about it if they did.

• Contributor

3D World mag. did a small piece on it, but that was before 3.0. I suggested they do a bigger article on it after 3.0 came out and they said they were looking into doing that. I can't afford to pick up every issue so I don't know if they did or not. I'm assuming I would've heard about it if they did.

I have a subsription and will holler if anything shows.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm brand new to 3dc, but use ZBrush all the time. I'm diggin' it so far! It's not up to speed with ZBrush in many ways, but I didn't buy it to do the same things I do in ZBrush. I added it to the toolset because of what makes it different. (at an awesome price point, btw)

Voxel sketching at low-med res leads to a lot of spontaneous creativity. The retopology tools are also fantastic. I'm sure as I study it, many more benefits will surface. For me, it's looking to be a great compliment to ZBrush and modo because of what makes it unique.

I only share this because it's kind of a double edge sword for when you do get into marketing. Even guys like me who already have a sculpting app they love will still find the interesting tools in 3dc appealing and useful. :good:

I think a lot of ZB / MB users would not understand the 3DC workflow because they are used to putting all of the detail into the mesh. While you can technically do this if your PC is powerful enough, it's not the best method. You should sculpt the medium level details with voxels, retopologize, then move to the painting room where you can continue to sculpt the finer details much easier and of course paint your color and spec maps as well. I think any advertising should really emphasize this different workflow.

I agree that the complete workflow should be put in bright lights, as I didn't realize that until you told me on ZBrushCentral. That should be described right in the voxel intro window. Most ZBrush and Mudbox users understand difference maps, so it will come natural after that.

For marketing purposes, I think they should exaggerate the freedom of voxels. Some kind of time lapse where a crazy sculpt is derived from a small sphere would get a lot of poly modeler's attention. Then show how freakin' easy it is to retopo!

Just today, I found out how easy it is to get the voxels transferred to a good mesh. I was previously using quadrangulate.

I like how you can subdivide a bunch after a low poly retopo and it vacuums to the voxels pulling out detail. This will allow me to refine the volume in mid res voxel space where it's still speedy. Then I'll be able to export a fairly dense base mesh that retains the sculpt. At the time, I still prefer detailing with ZBrush and modo, and work with multi thousand poly base meshes, so that's key for me. It puts voxels right in the heart and soul of the workflow. To me, the major forms of sculpture are far more important than details.

Crazy ain't it! I just retopo'd a head bust, subdivided it a bunch, and was using the brush to even out the small polys using shift to smooth a bit. Then I found an area that could use a bit more wrinkle detail.

So I jumped over to the voxel tab, added the wrinkles, jumped back to the retopo tab, brushed a couple times with smooth and BAM, wrinkles transferred. I'm tellin' ya, 3dc is going to be a key player in my work.