3DCoat Forums

Preventing /repairing holes in thin voxel walls v.3.0

Art4med

Perhaps I'm just too tired, but: How can this be avoided or repaired?

When I am making a thin-walled voxel structure, my smoothing or negative carving often goes through, leaving a hole.

(Still looking in the forums and manual.)

I have tried to set 'hide' low enough (from the far-side) to protect the area-- not good enough: everything between the walls is hidden.

When I go to repair said hole, I have found the best result from 2D-planar sculpt on a new layer, then merge, but this is also too painful.

Trying to build or increase the edges of the hole is too inaccurate.

Voxel follow drops off/over as I enter the hole area.

Move doesn't always match, even in screen-tangent view, and its rough when it does....

OSX10.5, Intel core duo iMac, 3G

• Advanced Member

When I am making a thin-walled voxel structure, my smoothing or negative carving often goes through, leaving a hole.

I have tried to set 'hide' low enough (from the far-side) to protect the area-- not good enough: everything between the walls is hidden.

When I go to repair said hole, I have found the best result from 2D-planar sculpt on a new layer, then merge, but this is also too painful.

Trying to build or increase the edges of the hole is too inaccurate.

Voxel follow drops off/over as I enter the hole area.

Move doesn't always match, even in screen-tangent view, and its rough when it does....

OSX10.5, Intel core duo iMac, 3G

Currently there isn't much you can do to avoid these artifacts. You can increase your voxel res primarily which will help prevent them a tad but somehow as you go along subtracting, merging volumes, you will still get them (stalactites, pinching, random dents and pixelized stratification etc) and at higher resolutions it'll be much harder for you to clean them up unfortunately. My advice would be to block out the main shape of your model using a relatively low resolution, and as these artifacts occur it'll be easier to clean them up by adding several overall smoothing passes to the volume surface and/or chopping them off etc. Voxel modeling has just been implemented to 3DC and is at its infancy. It is my belief that it'll get better and better in time.

• Contributor

ZBrush has a function, "Backface automask", whereby a brush won't affect the back of a surface, only the front. I've found that quite invaluable in much ZBrush work -- and we clearly need such a feature in 3DC, to overcome the problem with unwanted holes when smoothing, etc. Hopefully, Andrew will soon code that for us -- in about fifteen minutes, or so! :-)

• Contributor

When working on thin surfaces use surface mode.

-Click on the cube icon beside your voxtree layer.-

Smoothing wont create any holes and there is even ignore backface implemented! :)

• Contributor
When working on thin surfaces use surface mode.

-Click on the cube icon beside your voxtree layer.-

Smoothing wont create any holes and there is even ignore backface implemented! :)

Artman, yes, that's all true -- but then the app goes into that special surface-only mode, which makes us lose 80% of all the functions we're used to having accessible in voxel mode! In ZBrush I lose no functionality. So a full-fledged backface protection function is still needed.

ZBrush has a function, "Backface automask", whereby a brush won't affect the back of a surface, only the front. I've found that quite invaluable in much ZBrush work -- and we clearly need such a feature in 3DC, to overcome the problem with unwanted holes when smoothing, etc. Hopefully, Andrew will soon code that for us -- in about fifteen minutes, or so! :-)

The thing about this is that in ZB you're working with the polygons on the surface of the model. The chocolate outside of the candy bar if you will. While 3DC deals with the creamy nougat center and the chocolate is just there to show you what's happening since the nougat is invisible. Man I'm getting hungry!

• Advanced Member
The thing about this is that in ZB you're working with the polygons on the surface of the model. The chocolate outside of the candy bar if you will. While 3DC deals with the creamy nougat center and the chocolate is just there to show you what's happening since the nougat is invisible. Man I'm getting hungry!

I like that.., nice way of putting it..