3DCoat Forums

Concept for Owning Our Own 'Makerbot' Jewlry Maker via 3DCoat

• Contributor

here's my concept for making it possible and affordable for any interested individuals to own their own 'makerbot'...

you may want to go to these links and check out the Makerbot 3D Printing Kit before reading further...

info ;

http://georgedearing...produces-itself

to buy the kits ;

http://reprap.org/bi...n/PartsSupplies

http://www.makerbot.com/

first, we'd need to get with Andrew and see if he would even be interested in this concept, of course,,,and if he is, then ,,,we all send donations to Andrew,,,he buys the makerbot kit (around $750.00) ....the makerbot 'reproduces itself', so Andrew would be able to create an unlimited number of makerbots...he could sell the reproduced markerbots to us at a cost of between $150.00 to $300.00..., to cover the material expenses, and shipping costs and physical labor and time involved....in this way we could afford to buy our own makerbot and create our own jewlry, at material cost only (once the initial markerbot is paid for) ...and Andrew could make a small profit in the process via selling the makerbot kits to us,,and also thru creating real 3D objects, jewelry, etc. for those that don't want to invest in their own markerbot ....

as for determining how much each individual would need to donate towards the initial makerbot purchase, we would maybe need to take a poll to see how many 3DCoat forum members would be interested in purchasing a makerbot kit from Andrew, (again, if Andrew is interested in this concept) then divide that number up to define the allotted amount per member that would be necassary...... ..

well, that's it...just thought I'd mention this in case any of you might be interested.

• Advanced Member

I have an article from cgworld japan that compares 3dprinters. One of them was a cheap DIY made of acrylic and it can even print out chocolate. I was thinking of buying it since it was around 1500US only. This reprap wasn't listed but it is interesting and cheaper.

Also people are using shapeways to print out but I don't know if they ship to japan and how much that added cost it would have.

• Contributor

I have an article from cgworld japan that compares 3dprinters. One of them was a cheap DIY made of acrylic and it can even print out chocolate. I was thinking of buying it since it was around 1500US only. This reprap wasn't listed but it is interesting and cheaper.

Also people are using shapeways to print out but I don't know if they ship to japan and how much that added cost it would have.

''Also people are using shapeways to print out''...

but what would be great is if Andrew were to be interested in this concept, then along with the sales of the markerbots, he could also create a 3DCoat 3D PrintShop for us,,then he would be able to sink a portion of the profits back into 3DCoat, thus benefittng 3DCoat and it's userbase that anticipate it's advancement., so our investments would just keep recycling. as for shipping, 'flat-rate' is generally the cheapest route, as far as I know.

This seems like a nice idea, but a little far fetched. I think Andrew is more interested in being a programmer than selling physical products of any sort. of course I can't actually speak for Andrew, that's just the impression that I get. I'm also very skeptical of these printers. I've seen a kit to build one yourself before and the objects it printed looked pretty awful to be honest. Plus I don't think I would feel like building this thing myself if I bought it. If I were to have a home printer I think I'd want one that looked a little more professional.

Really what might be a better idea for the future would be to have local retail places that had larger scale printers where you could go and print your model and take it home. They already have this for books in some places where you go to a machine and find the book you want in the computer, then the machine prints and binds the book for you. Here's a

on it if you get YouTube, or the companies website.

• Contributor

This seems like a nice idea, but a little far fetched. I think Andrew is more interested in being a programmer than selling physical products of any sort. of course I can't actually speak for Andrew, that's just the impression that I get. I'm also very skeptical of these printers. I've seen a kit to build one yourself before and the objects it printed looked pretty awful to be honest. Plus I don't think I would feel like building this thing myself if I bought it. If I were to have a home printer I think I'd want one that looked a little more professional.

Really what might be a better idea for the future would be to have local retail places that had larger scale printers where you could go and print your model and take it home. They already have this for books in some places where you go to a machine and find the book you want in the computer, then the machine prints and binds the book for you. Here's a

on it if you get YouTube, or the companies website.

hi, Phil...their printed objects vary,as for quality,, but I've inserted a few sample pics and here's the link to their gallery on the site where they make objects with the makerbot....... http://www.thingiverse.com/ .personally I would be very satisfied with the quality based on what I've seen so far...and it's open source...so you can tweak it, reprogram it, etc, and others are working towards advancing the project as well,.....I'm sure I'll wind up buying a makerbot kit, asap (personally, I like tinkering with projects like this, and I think it'll be fun putting the kit together) and as for how the printer looks, no one's gonna be seein it except for me, anyway, lol, so it won't matter long as I can print my own objects....... I guess I was just 'thinkin out loud', when i posted this thread, n I figured that there may be others who may want to check the makerbot out even if they weren't interested in my concept,,...but thanks for your feedback.smile.gif

(this is a quote from their site concerning tweaking ; )

You don't have do tweak your MakerBot in a vacuum. The community is there to help. There's a google group for those that have bought MakerBots and the Forums are lively and full of good advice. If those don't work, you can always send us a note and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction

Design Glut Designed Salt and Pepper Shakers for the MakerBot!

http://video.aol.com...bot/29027427001

Better Living With MakerBot Episode 1: Kitchen Lamp

The results from this machine are simpely unusable.

Layerthickness is ways to much to reproduce any finer detail.

There are a lot of RP companys out there doing this printing jobs for everybody sending them STL-files. Materials are available from cornstarch and gypsum powder - which can even be printed in color - right up to stainless steel and titanium.

For those who want their jobs to be casted you can print in ceramic material (to get the mould) for pewter and aluminium - or shellsand for everything up to steel.

If the sices of this machines (box sice approx 350 mm x 350mm x 500mm) is to small, you can get it printed in furan resin bound sand with boxsices up to 1300 mm x 1600 mm x 800 mm single box.

For jewlery you can get small CNC controlled milling machines (also working with the STL-files as base) costing about the same 750$ or slightly higher.

Here you mill a wax pattern for the lost-wax-process.

Regards

Hans

hi, Phil...their printed objects vary,as for quality,, but I've inserted a few sample pics and here's the link to their gallery on the site where they make objects with the makerbot....... http://www.thingiverse.com/ .personally I would be very satisfied with the quality based on what I've seen so far...and it's open source...so you can tweak it, reprogram it, etc, and others are working towards advancing the project as well,.....I'm sure I'll wind up buying a makerbot kit, asap (personally, I like tinkering with projects like this, and I think it'll be fun putting the kit together) and as for how the printer looks, no one's gonna be seein it except for me, anyway, lol, so it won't matter long as I can print my own objects....... I guess I was just 'thinkin out loud', when i posted this thread, n I figured that there may be others who may want to check the makerbot out even if they weren't interested in my concept,,...but thanks for your feedback.smile.gif

Sorry to destroy the dream, but none of the objects you are showing was made on this makerbot.

From top respectively from left to right you have here:

1) Lasercut from verneer and plywood

2) Render of a CAD file which can be used for printing

3) CNC milled wax-pattern

4) 3d Print, but not makerbot

5) SLS-Part (Selectiv-Laser-Sintering)

6) Objet 3D Printer

Really sorry for that

Hans

• Contributor

Sorry to destroy the dream, but none of the objects you are showing was made on this makerbot.

From top respectively from left to right you have here:

1) Lasercut from verneer and plywood

2) Render of a CAD file which can be used for printing

3) CNC milled wax-pattern

4) 3d Print, but not makerbot

5) SLS-Part (Selectiv-Laser-Sintering)

6) Objet 3D Printer

Really sorry for that

Hans

hi Hans....no...plse don't apologize ...I'm glad that you noticed that...I wouldn't want to mislead anyone intentionally....so really, thanks for checking that out...apparently I must have misunderstood one of their vids, as for thinking those were all objects made by makerbot...(but I've removed the pics samples).....I just would like to be able to create my own jewelry and figurines,etc...and the makerbot was the only DIY that I found so far, that was even close to affordable.......you said CNC mills ran around $750.00. could you leave a link to some ?,,the only ones I've found so far are around $5,000.00.......

hi Hans....no...plse don't apologize ...I'm glad that you noticed that...I wouldn't want to mislead anyone intentionally....so really, thanks for checking that out...apparently I must have misunderstood one of their vids, as for thinking those were all objects made by makerbot...(but I've removed the pics samples).....I just would like to be able to create my own jewelry and figurines,etc...and the makerbot was the only DIY that I found so far, that was even close to affordable.......you said CNC mills ran around $750.00. could you leave a link to some ?,,the only ones I've found so far are around $5,000.00.......

Hi,

I felt sorry because i know very well how discouraging it can be if one is just entusiastic about a technic and somebody starts pointing out the drawbacks.

For the machines you might want to check this for DIY: www.rockcliffmachine.com

Simple, but well working at a bargain. The only thing you must be aware of: this machines are not ment for metal work other then aluminium, but great for any soft material like wax, wood of any type (fine grain preferable), MDF and polyurethane which is a great material for making patterns and you can get waste pieces from patternshops normally at no cost.

If you prefere a ready made machine, search on Ebay for cnc routers.

If you need any further help just ask.

Good luck

Hans