3DCoat Forums

Elder Elf

3d_sculptress

• Advanced Member

I would look at some anatomy books for reference. The cheek bones, ears and nose are overly large. The face needs more formed shapes with fewer details. Currently the face is way too detailed. Fix the underlying anatomy and then worry about details last. I think this guy has a lot of potential though. :)

• Advanced Member

One suggestion - when blocking out a mesh/WIP avoid going to high a res too soon - its loads easier working/editing out lumps and bumps in the sculpt at lower resolution (This applies to most 3D sculpting packages - 3DCoat Zbrush and mudbox included).

• Contributor

One suggestion - when blocking out a mesh/WIP avoid going to high a res too soon - its loads easier working/editing out lumps and bumps in the sculpt at lower resolution (This applies to most 3D sculpting packages - 3DCoat Zbrush and mudbox included).

ooops.unsure.gif .already raised the res (2X) ...is it too late to lower it ? n if it isn't then how do I lower it ? (don't see the option anywhere for lowering res)

• Contributor

ok..I was kinda going for a cartoonish style, (that's why I wasn't that worried bout his anatomy being real correct) but even so, apparently I over-exaggerated those facial features, I guess...but after reading my feedback, while I was re-working him, I realized what I did..even with a nose that big, the poor little guy still couldn't even breathe, lol cause I had his nose too close to his eyes...but I down-sized his nose, and then moved it down lower considerably...also down-sized his ears and cheeks...if anyone thinks any of the mentioned facial parts need down-sizing more, plse lmk...but here's what I've done so far...

post-1992-12549823194671_thumb.jpg

post-1992-12549823585648_thumb.jpg

'edit'..nea.gif ..probably need to lower his nose quite a bit more.....(just seemed like I was lowering it alot cause I was tryin to keep from tearing his face apart sad.gif ) .will work on that.

• Contributor

Whether the nose is too high may be easier to decide if you take the Move tool (in Voxel mode) and drag the dish shape out of the center of his face. A more normal profile will make decisions about performance easier.

• Contributor

Whether the nose is too high may be easier to decide if you take the Move tool (in Voxel mode) and drag the dish shape out of the center of his face. A more normal profile will make decisions about performance easier.

hi, Tony..not sure what you mean, but I used the move tool to lower his nose...so i guess you're saying that the nose area needs to be pulled out further from his face area (instead of just being lowered)...so I'll try that, too.

• Contributor

hi, Tony..not sure what you mean, but I used the move tool to lower his nose...so i guess you're saying that the nose area needs to be pulled out further from his face area (instead of just being lowered)...so I'll try that, too.

Sorry for the confusion (what did I mean abour "performance"?), but yes, I meant to pull the middle of the face out to a less dish-faced profile.