3DCoat Forums

Simple game level

philnolan3d

I'm trying to learn Unity, just enough to build a simple level for my demo reel, so I made this simple game level. I thought it was a good idea to make just one of the item, then it could be duplicated in Unity. Until I got into texturing. I thought I would hand paint some dirt and grime into the corners. But of course that won't work if the pipes and such are added later. I could position them in LightWave then bring the model back into 3DC to painting this dirt. What do you guys think?

simplelevel.th.jpg

• Contributor

I'm trying to learn Unity, just enough to build a simple level for my demo reel, so I made this simple game level. I thought it was a good idea to make just one of the item, then it could be duplicated in Unity. Until I got into texturing. I thought I would hand paint some dirt and grime into the corners. But of course that won't work if the pipes and such are added later. I could position them in LightWave then bring the model back into 3DC to painting this dirt. What do you guys think?

simplelevel.th.jpg

well i think that looks really nice...and personally I definitely would bring the model into 3dc with those items intact..otherwise you'd be painting in the blind, cause you would need to add dirt,etc., to the pipes, etc., too, wouldn't you ?

• Contributor

Thanks. Yeah if I was going to paint the dirt on I would have to bring them into 3DC. I think that's what I'll do, I won't have my 3DC layers intact, but I can deal I guess.

just curious...if you imported the pic you've posted here into the 3dc view background (as a material?) would that help to give you a guide/reference that you could flip on/off as needed..?

I guess you could. However I understand when you do that it stretches the image to fit your screen resolution, so it's probably not the best idea. I normally open IrfanView and have it set to Always On Top in the Options menu. I think I always have at least one IV windows open 24/7. lol

Ah man I just realized it's not going to work if I position all of the pipes and such in LW now because I'm duplicating parts, so if I start painting dirt on one part it will also paint on all of the duplicates as well. I guess I'll just do it without the dirt and let the lighting in unity handle it. Drat. Maybe it won't be so bad. If it is I can always figures something out after and load in new textures.

• Contributor

Ah man I just realized it's not going to work if I position all of the pipes and such in LW now because I'm duplicating parts, so if I start painting dirt on one part it will also paint on all of the duplicates as well. I guess I'll just do it without the dirt and let the lighting in unity handle it. Drat. Maybe it won't be so bad. If it is I can always figures something out after and load in new textures.

well whichever route you take, plse post a pic of your finished results ?

I will, the whole reason I'm doing this is for my demo reel, so there will be video as well. I can't make any promises, but maybe I might be able to put the "game" online to play via the Unity web player. Meanwhile here's a light fixture I made:

lightfixture.jpg

• Contributor

I will, the whole reason I'm doing this is for my demo reel, so there will be video as well. I can't make any promises, but maybe I might be able to put the "game" online to play via the Unity web player. Meanwhile here's a light fixture I made:

lightfixture.jpg

wow...pipes...now that's creative...(and cool good.gif ) ....that's why I like hangin out with you guys..so much inspiration here.

nice texture.,,guess you could make some streetlamps in the same design. or even an automobile, by using pipes for the stirring wheels, tires, wheels, bumper, door handles., etc..and a body designed from pipes.......yea, a 'piped' automobile..that'd be real cool. if you think you'd wanna try designing one, I can send you a design I have in mind for the body and grill,etc...just lmk.

Thanks, I had an idea for the kind of lights I wanted but didn't know what to call them, so it took quite a few guesses at keywords in Google Image Search before I found this image that I used for reference:

http://www.barnlightelectric.com/wall-sconce-lighting/rustic-wall-sconces/barn-light-atomic-topless-wire-guard-wgu-sconce.html

Thanks, it's not really much of a game. More of a walk-through. The idea was just to have someplace to show off my jedi-starfigher model. My friend at a game studio suggested I put it in a game engine and I could have just dropped it into a blank scene and recorded a video of that. In fact that's the first thing I did with Unity. But it was boring. So I decided to make something a little nicer. I don't really know or like coding so I don't think there will be much more to it than that.

If you'd like to try it, you can run around my level. One problem I'm having is that some of the objects are in the wrong places in-game, but are correct in the editor so you may see some things in odd places. I recommend using the Windowed mode, as there's no real way to exit from the full screen version.

You can find it here:

http://www.wuala.com/philnolan3d/Documents/shared_stuff (about 37MB zipped) (Windows version only)

• Contributor

If you'd like to try it, you can run around my level. One problem I'm having is that some of the objects are in the wrong places in-game, but are correct in the editor so you may see some things in odd places. I recommend using the Windowed mode, as there's no real way to exit from the full screen version.

You can find it here:

http://www.wuala.com...ts/shared_stuff (about 37MB zipped) (Windows version only)

hi Phil...I tried to download but an error box popped up ...may want to try easy-share site instead ?