3DCoat Forums

How to model this shape?

Calabi

Personally things like that are wasted time to sculpt. Very pointless and time consuming compared to modeling it. It makes much more sense to simply model it with polys.

That's right. Don't mistake sculpt software for modeling software. The most technical parts should be created with traditional modeling techniques. Instead use the advantages of the software types, use sculting software to give clean models structure and charakter.

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys. I guess I cant get rid of the those pesky polys yet. I only asked because I dont like the uniform clinical shape you get with sub ds. I'm going to have to sculpt it to get it looking more organic anyway so I figured I'd try in voxels but couldnt figure an accurate way. Otherwise its polgyons, to voxels then back to polygons again, no matter.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks guys. I guess I cant get rid of the those pesky polys yet. I only asked because I dont like the uniform clinical shape you get with sub ds. I'm going to have to sculpt it to get it looking more organic anyway so I figured I'd try in voxels but couldnt figure an accurate way. Otherwise its polgyons, to voxels then back to polygons again, no matter.

I agree...there are somethings that you KNOW you can do easily in a regular modeling application, and then it's ok to experiment in Voxels to see what you can come up with, but I wouldn't dare chance getting bogged down (with a deadline involved) for an hour or longer trying to fiddle with something like that, in voxels, when you could do it in less than a few minutes elsewhere.

If I were to try, though...I might rough out one pedal and then apply the Wrap tool, to make cylindrical copies.