3DCoat Forums

Football Player

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

Looking good but for the huge Hobbit hands and feet. ;)

I modified a base model that I had sculpted...and re-purpose is the name of the game when you're pressed for time. I can't imagine a single house not having an emphasis on re-using assets/base models when they can. The focus here is really the uniform...it's good practice using the freeform primitives and the curves tool. The big Hobbit hands will get some gloves. ;)

Most of the work will be in the detailing, and texture painting.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks guys...I got the jersey blocked out and messed with the proportions a bit...as well as a little piddling around the upper arm area. I'm working on the helmet now, and that should be a challenge to see if I can get it correct in 3DC. I would normally do this with Power Nurbs or splines patches in 3ds Max, but I really wanted to keep the whole thing in 3DC. Again, I'm trying to resist the urge to add detail as I go. I'll start that once the helmet is done.

• Contributor

Don, that's coming along really well. Did you do the helmet all in 3d Coat?

To me there's something a little funky with the shirt at this point, but I realize it's a work in progress!

Keep posting!

Greg

• Reputable Contributor

Don, that's coming along really well. Did you do the helmet all in 3d Coat?

To me there's something a little funky with the shirt at this point, but I realize it's a work in progress!

Keep posting!

Greg

Thanks guys. Yes, everything was done in Voxels. Using a reference image to block out the overall proportions of the jersey, it does look rough, until you start adding detail.

• Reputable Contributor

You set a high standard, there, buddy! Do you plan to animate your character? Do you remove the hidden structures (like shoulder pads) after they serve the purpose for 'cloth'? :clapping:

I don't have any plans to animate him, just turntable render. And as for the shoulder pads underneath...I was going to retopo the jersey and bring it in to use cloth tool.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is a little update...didn't get as far as I wanted to (trying to juggle a handful of other things), but the helmet is done until I get to the paint room for the texturing. I spent a decent amount of time going over it with a fine-toothed comb, so to speak, to make sure it would hold up under scrutiny. I really wanted to add to some of the great works already in the gallery to showcase what 3DC could do with hard-surface modeling.

I also tweaked the guy's anatomy some more, and the jersey as well...now onto the the real detail work.