3DCoat Forums

a batskull timelapse

Spiraloid

Hi! Nice doodling. Are you from Weta?

Btw.

no FFD primitive transform

I should be able to double-click on a ffd control point and get the manipulator to move the whole object around the way I can with a curve.

FFD primitives don't respect symmetry.

You have both of them. "Transform as a whole" and "X" "Y" "Z" symmetry on primitives property panel.

There are 2 symmetries in primitives - local and global ("S"). Local is what you seeking.

these are fantastic! really showing off the power of voxels in 3D-coat. i think with some strong focus on refining the sculpting tools in the sculpt and voxel rooms to get them to work as slick and smoothly as the ones in zbrush then you'll start seeing TONS of very high-level work coming from more of the top professionals.

• Advanced Member

Hi! Nice doodling. Are you from Weta?

Btw.

You have both of them. "Transform as a whole" and "X" "Y" "Z" symmetry on primitives property panel.

There are 2 symmetries in primitives - local and global ("S"). Local is what you seeking.

Hey Andrew, yep. I'm one and the same. Although that wikipedia page looks a little out of date.

Re:symmetry: excellent. I think I just got confused because the default behavior was different than with the other brushes.

Love using your tool.

-bay

• Advanced Member

Oh man,

You're doing so many things in this vid that have escaped me with 3dcoat. Does your screen snap to ortho views somehow? How are you doing the wholesale "move" changes ala Zbrush? That's been one of my biggest holdups with 3DC is not being able to pull things around similarly to the move tool in Zbrush, it always seems to grab a too finite amount of material regardless of the tip shape.

• Advanced Member

Does your screen snap to ortho views somehow?

no, I just have to use the numpad 4 (left view) then numpad 5 (ortho toggle) I wish the axis aligned views all auto snapped to ortho automatically like wings, mirai, nendo etc. but I'm biased. ;)

How are you doing the wholesale "move" changes ala Zbrush? That's been one of my biggest holdups with 3DC is not being able to pull things around similarly to the move tool in Zbrush, it always seems to grab a too finite amount of material regardless of the tip shape.

the transform tool to move the vox layer, then "to global space" to bake it back.

for just a part I'm using the cut&clone tool with different marguee selections set using the "e" hotkey. I then fill in the gaps with the sphere tool and smooth.

to deform things like the horns in the batskull timelapse I'm just using the pose tool.

to smush things around I use the move tool.

just hover over the tools and read the help. :)

cheers.

-bay

• Advanced Member

Very very cool- I think that these timelapses are very useful for everyone. Completely agree that tools should default to the symmetry plane, or center of the model when in ortho view- especially if you are starting out your stroke outside the model..