3DCoat Forums

My Students' Space Ship models

ekunzendorf

Hello All,

Here are the results of a group project my students completed in their Basic Modeling Class. They were to pick a space ship or vehicle to model using 3D Coat, Maya, or any combination thereof. The Star Wars Speeder group (3 students) chose to do their model in 3D Coat. Team Drill Bomber (4 students) did theirs in Maya and will import and paint in 3D Coat. I merged an obj into 3D coat for purposes of comparison. The Speeder group is retopoing the model as I write.

Let it not be said that hard surface models are difficult to create in 3D Coat! These students did these in 2 weeks. :)

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

users.ju.edu/ekunzen

post-3125-12894107873724_thumb.jpg

post-3125-12894108058614_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I merged an obj into 3D coat for purposes of comparison. The Speeder group is retopoing the model as I write.

Nice model. :clapping:

but I really don't understand the purpose of this test, why to retopo something topo'ed already? To mark seams UVs and paint, I understand. OK its an exercise. I suppose so

• Reputable Contributor

Nice model. :clapping:

but I really don't understand the purpose of this test, why to retopo something topo'ed already? To mark seams UVs and paint, I understand. OK its an exercise. I suppose so

The group that is retopo'ing their model, started in Voxels, obviously, Michalis. The other group started in Maya and are not doing any Retopo work, but UV's and Texture Painting.

Really nice job on the speeder.

• Contributor

Now in paper ;)

Oh My LOL In paper.

Nice Models Students!!. Maybe 2 weeks a little long time But they are students, Part time and the models are looking fine!! For retopo purpose maybe merging things to a single volume will help with Seams and projection on that speeder. Please post results when done. I hope they will texture too.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments! Yes, the students modeled the speeder in Voxels while the other group modeled the drill bomber in Maya. I just merged it into Voxels as a way of comparing the two models. They will UV map the drill bomber in 3D Coat and then each student will paint there own version. I believe the speeder group's plan is to have each student retopo the section they built and UV map that. I am interested to see how they will solve the problem of retopologizing it.

LBJ, yeah, I wondered if I gave them too much time too. 2 weeks seems long, but they are students as you note. I also try to keep in mind a couple of things: first, their instructor-me-just started using the program a couple of months ago, so they suffer from that. :) Also, we learn Maya alongside 3D Coat, and they produce four models and one textured group project over the course of the semester. Learning then doing tends to slow things down. Also, while one might think that a group project should speed things up; in reality, it slows things down on a small scale such as this model.

I mention these issues not as excuses. In fact, I tell them that they should never be satisfiedjust look at the work that is out there; but I can't ignore the fact that they are students just beginning to learn. Comparing their work to professionals spending 40-60 hours a week working on a model seems a bit unfair. But of course, life is unfair; a fact that I tell them...repeatedly! :)

That is a cool paper model Frenchy!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University