3DCoat Forums

My first sculpture

jimiclay

Well I thought I was well on my way, but I see that I have alot of work to do. Here is my first sculpture, and the finished dress rendered in LWave. I thought the sculpture turned out OK, but

as you can see, my final dress leaves alot to be desired. What happened? Why does my final dress look so flat and lifeless? Any crits and comments

would be more than welcomed.

post-607-12937806534887_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Well I thought I was well on my way, but I see that I have alot of work to do. Here is my first sculpture, and the finished dress rendered in LWave. I thought the sculpture turned out OK, but

as you can see, my final dress leaves alot to be desired. What happened? Why does my final dress look so flat and lifeless? Any crits and comments

would be more than welcomed.

It looks like you don't have your normal map applied correctly or have the setting so low in your material settings that you don't see the relief. The only thing I can see is the AO map (baked into the texture map on export).Hard to say without some sort video screen capture (Jing is free and will upload the video to their site...screencast.com)

A dress would be a skirt and a blouse were he to separate them. ;)

This is one of those times where I would suggest putting a simple rig in your character and deform the shapes to something more noticeable for your purpose. That is to say, put the lady in the dress in a pose.

My wife has T-posed for me a few times but it's not that often an occurrence. ;)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=90301

Not mine but since it was in another tab... a great example of posing for purpose.

A dress would be a skirt and a blouse were he to separate them. ;)

This is one of those times where I would suggest putting a simple rig in your character and deform the shapes to something more noticeable for your purpose. That is to say, put the lady in the dress in a pose.

My wife has T-posed for me a few times but it's not that often an occurrence. ;)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=90301

Not mine but since it was in another tab... a great example of posing for purpose.

Thanks everyone. From what I can see, the lighting is consistent in all of the Bushidou models. It seems to be straight on. I want to get more depth in my models like he has. I can do it with modeling the geometry in LWave, but that just makes for a really dense mesh that uses up too much memory. Especially if there are dozens of people in a scene. What I'd like to do is get more bump in the textures. Also, the model is posed this way because I'll be using cloth fx on it, or at least part of it. Unfortunately, cloth in LWave doesn't deform well with low poly objects, so if you want folds and creases, you have to do it with an image map. This picture shows an older scene I did with some of the Egyptian characters in it. The whole scene needs work, but the clothing is especially boring.

post-607-12938018867335_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, more information on your workflow helps.

Things like, I exported a tangent base normal map or I'm using a displacement map as a bump map.

Without more specific information or video like AbnRanger saids, Its really hard to say what is going on with your Lightwave model...