3DCoat Forums

3DC/Bodypaint

shokan

I have not used 3DC or Bodypaint. Is 3DC like Bodypaint but with sculpting added? In your opinion, what is 3DC's standout quality or feature not found in other software?

I ask this because I really want to know but also because I am about to do a little unasked-for marketing critique here:

About the new name '3D-Coat': works for me because it is different and unexpected... it sparks a potential user's curiosity, prompting a closer look at what the software does. For sure, from a marketing standpoint, if I saw an ad for it at CGSociety with that rich and illustrative logo and unusual/industrial-sounding name, I would go and check it out. And, having done so, I would then discover it even has powerful sculpting ability. Delightful surprise! So, the new name is good.

I present what follows in the spirit of "just one person's observations", but from one that has advertising/design background. I am also old. That should count for something, eh? :lol:

My need to ask the first question at the beginning of this post indicates I (as a 3D beginner) was not clear about what makes this software unique in a growing field of heavy-weight players, and also what the main strength of the software is that sets it apart. I could navigate away because of, well, confusion, unconvinced that this is something I need. The fact that it is stated on the site that it is for detailing stuff from other software didn't hook me strongly enough >> perhaps because I thought I might get the same functionality in a more famous mainstream software that has that already as a subset of it's larger feature-set... perhaps because of the following points below:

There is a problem with the sometimes awkward English on the site. Please excuse me for that remark, but it could be off-putting for some (not me) people in the West, thereby limiting sales.

The low price also could indicate to someome new and not willing to go into the forums that it is not a bargain but, rather, not a professional-level tool. On the other hand, I might jump at what I may preceive as a ground level start-up software genuine bargain, and buy it, IF if I was held to the site by the following:

One or two hi-profile short spectacular quotes (plucked from testimonials or reviews) in all ads and at the home page, prominently displayed, would help really a lot ----> Maybe in big display fonts that fade in, float a bit, then fade out (SWFlash graphic?). Short prominently displayed videos with hardly any download time, even well-made gif's, on the main page showing the up-front in-your-face unique functionality of the software. This would hold the viewer to the site for some more minutes without leaving and forgetting.

What should happen at this point for the visitor is to be somehow funneled straight into a knock-out gallery. The small present one does not indicate a big user-base, perhaps implying it isn't a good software.

There is a lack of in-depth reviews on the web. This last should change though because, when you dig around, you find great things being said about the software, but not all in one place and in a prominent venue.

I hope the critique is taken in the spirit in which it was offered. Now, I gotta go buy the software! :)

• Advanced Member

Hi shokan,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Alot of good points you make. In my personal opinion, what a discerning buyer should really be

focusing on is the fact that there is as demo available (and basically concurrent in features with the

the purchasable version) for them to try out. If a buyer is truly serious about spending money for

a product that *should* fulfill some need of theirs they ought to take the time to try it and see how

it fits for them. Marketing is well and good, but if you've got any reasonable experience with a variety

of software, you know marketing is not always 'as it seems' in terms of the product's true usability (I'm

thinking of Zbrush 2.5's early promo videos and it's current iteration vis-a-vis some of the realities of

working around some of its 'quirks'....only just now seeing Transpose master and Subtool master addons

after almost a year on the market. This is not to say Zbrush is junk, as I use it as well, but I'm thinking

just in terms of marketing, and how massive the amount of posts there are in the 'Questions and Troubleshooting'

section.)

I think 3dC is only around 5 months on the market (I could be off by a few), so it's relatively young. After

trying it out in November and seeing how active Andrew is in it's developement and within the community

itself (and knowing how important that is with other software such as UVLayout and Silo) it didn't take much

for me to part with the (late-December) price of $85.

To answer your specific question about unique features, here's a few I find very compelling:

- Fill tool (cubic mapping for defaults, but UV-space option for custom...with a good deal of user-controlled options as well)

- Draw with Spline tool...lots of power here, since Andrew has made some recent additions

- Copy/Paste whole areas (including depth/color/spec) plus ability to create new 'pen' from copied area

- Pen user controls over jitter, rotation, depth...great for mottled skin and a variety of organic 'grunge' textures

- Ability to set depth to additive or not

- Grid and Snap to options...good for inorganic linework, pattern creation, etc.

- Eraser tool (can erase based on layers)

- Layers and their integration into the package

- Soft Stroke...not quite as user-controllable as Zbrush's LazyMouse, but usefull just the same

- Tight Photoshop interoperability

- Ambient Occlusion calculation (with ability to smooth it or not and still retain 'seamlessness')

- All of the different Draw with options for 'Draw with Pen'

- Cavity Painting (or the inverse)

- Strips for laying down, well, alpha strips

- Specular painting (either by itself, or in combination with depth and/or color)

- Overall Material projecting and Mask projecting

There are other items I have not even utilized yet (freeze tool, make faces invisible tool) and there are

a few requests for various other enhancements (I'm looking forward to the ability to load multiple objects

at once, and also the ability to swap lowpoly objects with a new same-order vertex object that has different

UVs) that will more than likely be soon integrated into the product.

If a consumer needs a high-dollar amount to make them feel better I say 'more power to them', but what 3dC

currently has now should be almost a no-brainer for somebody who's tried it out. I say this as a Zbrush-Silo-XSI

(Essentials) owner who's becoming more and more 'attached' to some of the ease/power of 3dC. ;)

cheers.

wailingmonkey

Excellent.

-Is there a snap to surface with quad draw capabilty for doing retopo of the imported object?

-Good point about "what the discerning buyer should really be focusing on..." ie the demo. Is there a tutorial that comes with it? I notice Modo offers a demo with good-sized tutorial, Modo-in-Focus, for 25 bucks.

Thanks for remarks!

Of cause we want to make many tutorials, very rich gallery... But not all at once. Out most power is in quick and stable upgrading. Presentation quality is far not so rich... Maybe it is because I can't concentrate on development and presentation in equal degree. Also, the price is low because the new software can't cost much if there was not spent much money for advertising. We are working from zero (no initial money), so big price + many advertising is not our way. Our way is low, but growing price+high responsibility and "live" advertising. 3 months ago gallery was almost empty, now it has some good images.

About retopo - it is on the way, we have it in plans.

Also, we plan to do 2.08 with trial period (not long). Tutorials are also in process.

• Reputable Contributor

In life,you can't always have what you want, but you get what you need,(Rolling Stones song). Andrew as a smaller developer has to choose what is his priorities are. Yes, I'm sure he would like to have a major ad campagin plus a web site with all the bells and whistles but money and time only go so far. As a business person myself he has choosen a good course for his product.He keeps his program meeting the needs of 3D artist with ease of use, power and stability (Thank you).He is also smart in NOT trying to go head to head with the heavy hitters. The old business adage of "don't reinvent the wheel" applies well here. 3DC's strength is adding detail and painting not trying to be a ZBrush clone. Also, Andrew researches and contacts websites that promote the 3D community for AD placements. I have Zbrush plus others gee, I think I tried them all LOL. 3DC will continue to be a valuable addition for my creative work.

Thanks very much for the input. I am convinced and am downloading the trial. I need to say again, my second look at the website shows me that nearly point for point everything I originally mentioned is there. Great website.

So far the program is developing well. Andrew is very quick to respond and helpful. Many features are being refined into a more logical menu system. The only problems I have with the software is the unlocking password system is too restrictive.

1. I have the software installed on my desktop and cannot use it on my laptop which ( I spend much of my day working with away from home) requires another license. Not so of Carrara from Daz

2. If i change computers or mother boards I have to rely on getting a new unlock password from 3DC even if I choose not to upgrade in the future to the latest version.

These are serious considerations for hobby/semi-professional use.

Just my 2 cents

So far the program is developing well. Andrew is very quick to respond and helpful. Many features are being refined into a more logical menu system. The only problems I have with the software is the unlocking password system is too restrictive.

1. I have the software installed on my desktop and cannot use it on my laptop which ( I spend much of my day working with away from home) requires another license. Not so of Carrara from Daz

2. If i change computers or mother boards I have to rely on getting a new unlock password from 3DC even if I choose not to upgrade in the future to the latest version.

These are serious considerations for hobby/semi-professional use.

Just my 2 cents

Till now we have not found better solution. Maybe in future we will lock the program to some dongle.

But now usually I answer very quickly on any request for additional serial. So, please ask me for the new serial and I will give it to you very quickly.

• Advanced Member

Actualy, imo dongle locking is worse then hw locking, considering than Andrew provides users with second serial for laptop\new PC etc. as needed. Also, hw locking used by many professional 3d programs, its 100% normal solution i think.

• Advanced Member
Actualy, imo dongle locking is worse then hw locking, considering than Andrew provides users with second serial for laptop\new PC etc. as needed. Also, hw locking used by many professional 3d programs, its 100% normal solution i think.

i agree. As a person who bought a copy of 3D Coat, i would have to say NO DONGLE PLEASE. I like the way Luxology does their licensing, the software is license to the user and that user can install it on as many computers they own, given that they only have one active copy running at all times.

DONGLE = BAD (and doesn't stop piracy), and they can be expensive since you have to ship them out to users across the globe.

• Advanced Member
Well I just emailed support for a new serial for my new machine and less than a minute passed I got my serial form Andrew. Talk about quick support. Agree we should clone Andrew to make software.

Me too, unfortunately i had to reinstall XP Pro again..and 3D brush generates new hardware code! :( So i can't used the serial # he sent me. I just sent him a new email with new HW code.

EDIT: wow Andrew sent me a new serial like in a minute after i wrote the email :D, thanks Andrew! keep up the great work! IF i have time later i'll make a video tutorial for 3D Coat , and it'll be free.

• Advanced Member

i love my dongle licenses, very eays to work and travel with.

I wonder Andrew did you get my email regarding a serial for my xp install?

i got no reply and my spam filter dosnt have anything other than vulgar adverts in it ;)