3DCoat Forums

How to sculpt the human figure?

Bull1983

• Reputable Contributor

Why there are few tutorials on the human figure in 3D Coat?

I don't think there is any with a focus on human anatomy. There are some good ones, that use ZBrush, though....but that's because there is a much wider userbase, and ZBrush is more than twice as old as 3D Coat. May be a while before there are anatomy workshops in 3D Coat. Perhaps Leigh Bamforth will undertake this?

http://scary-monsters.org/

• Reputable Contributor

Hello, so I have to study the tutorials for ZBrush and adapt for 3D Coat?

There aren't any Human Anatomy tutorials, using 3D Coat, other than Leigh Bamforth's head sculpting tutorials. I don't even know that I could find any for Mudbox, either. Some creature stuff, but no human anatomy material...not that I'm aware of.

• Advanced Member

I would say, if you're concerned about studying anatomy, then do just that. It won't matter which program you're using. If you know anatomy well enough, then it just becomes a matter of knowing how to use the tools to get there. 3DC vs any other similar package doesn't really change anything, when focusing on that kind of subject matter. I agree that more tutorials along those lines would be helpful. I did most of my anatomy studies before 3DC and still practice every day, whether I'm in 3ds Max, Maya, ZBrush, 3DC or another package. I've been doing a hand study, for instance, and have gotten this far:

HandStudy_Back.jpgHandStudy_Front.jpgHandStudy_Foreshortened.jpgHandStudy_Right.jpgHandStudy_Left.jpg

...but I still don't have it anywhere close to where I want it. I'm working on small parts...hard ones, but the ones I'll get the most benefit. Proportions are difficult, but sometimes easily dealt with, if you use references. Otherwise, it's practice, practice, practice, and even then, it's still practice. That being said, I'm not even close to happy with how this hand it turning out and I've done quite a few of them now. I can see the problems in most areas (like proportions), but I'm having a heck of time fixing them in ZBrush or 3DC, as I need to know those tools better. That's where the delineation between knowing anatomy and knowing the tools comes in.

• Reputable Contributor

I would say, if you're concerned about studying anatomy, then do just that. It won't matter which program you're using. If you know anatomy well enough, then it just becomes a matter of knowing how to use the tools to get there. 3DC vs any other similar package doesn't really change anything, when focusing on that kind of subject matter. I agree that more tutorials along those lines would be helpful. I did most of my anatomy studies before 3DC and still practice every day, whether I'm in 3ds Max, Maya, ZBrush, 3DC or another package. I've been doing a hand study, for instance, and have gotten this far:

...but I still don't have it anywhere close to where I want it. I'm working on small parts...hard ones, but the ones I'll get the most benefit. Proportions are difficult, but sometimes easily dealt with, if you use references. Otherwise, it's practice, practice, practice, and even then, it's still practice. That being said, I'm not even close to happy with how this hand it turning out and I've done quite a few of them now. I can see the problems in most areas (like proportions), but I'm having a heck of time fixing them in ZBrush or 3DC, as I need to know those tools better. That's where the delineation between knowing anatomy and knowing the tools comes in.

If there is one tool in Voxel Room I would suggest a new user to try and master, it is the Pose Tool. It is 3D Coat's "Swiss Army Knife," for sculpting modeling operations.

• Advanced Member

I've used a couple of times, but it is very awkward. That said, so was the transpose tool in ZBrush, although I've gotten the hang of that one. This one doesn't seem controlled in the way it chooses to influence the mesh from the point to the arrow.

• Reputable Contributor

I've used a couple of times, but it is very awkward. That said, so was the transpose tool in ZBrush, although I've gotten the hang of that one. This one doesn't seem controlled in the way it chooses to influence the mesh from the point to the arrow.

Not sure if you've already seen this video, but if not, it might help. There is some discussion about multi-res usage in conjunction with using the pose tool, early on, but at about the 8min mark, the actual demonstration starts. A sample for using it in a modeling setting is also done toward the end.