3DCoat Forums

Magnum

Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

Getting a bit more comfortable with 3d coat these days, so here's another WIP. Voxel sculpt (currently 100% 3d coat workflow) is as good as done until I find problems. Starting the retopo today, I imagine it might take me a little while.

post-28483-0-76713200-1363542101_thumb.p

I'm crazy impressed with how quick it is to knock stuff out, I think that gun has probably taken a full "work day", and I'm still getting used to it all so things can only speed up!

I still feel like I'm wrestling with some things though, mostly object positions and symmetry. I must be nudging things slightly out of place during my workflow but I can't pin-point any specific sort of "here's where it goes wrong" moment. I was making a very conscious effort to keep things symmetrical in this latest file but I've still ended up with some minor issues.

A big problem for me at the moment is in the little touch ups and tweaks, some of them have proven to be so difficult to fix that I've had to start the object from scratch. Here's a very small example:

post-28483-0-62993400-1363543282_thumb.p

I know it's difficult to see there, but the end result is usually something smudgy. How would you guys go about removing that little blemish while keeping everything consistent?

• Advanced Member

Cheers Tony, that fill tool looks handy for a few situations, I'll have to remember that. Carlosa, that Colt pistol is amazing! I'll have to read through the .pdf, thanks muchly.

Little bit of retopo work tonight, Most of it will just be one single mesh by the end but I'll build it up in stages and merge/weld and give the final optimisations when it's complete.

post-28483-0-36926600-1363559426_thumb.p

Not thinking too much about textures/art style yet but I've left out a few niggly details in the model which I'll get around to finishing off with NDo.

• Contributor

post-28483-0-62993400-1363543282_thumb.p

I know it's difficult to see there, but the end result is usually something smudgy. How would you guys go about removing that little blemish while keeping everything consistent?

1. A good way to fix that would be to use the Copy Tool. Copy a small area right next to the blemish and then move it over with the Transform Tool to cover it. If parts are still sticking out past the copied piece, you can just remove them from the original piece, and since the copied piece is now covering that area, any edits you make to the original will be invisible. Once it looks the way you want, then merge the copied piece to the original.

2. Another way to fix it would be to go into side orthographic view and then use the Cutoff tool with "draw with closed spline" mode in the E panel. Cut off the blemish. The cut will be very smooth with the "draw with closed spline" mode. If the cut results in the loss of a bevelled edge, then you can use the Pose tool to paint a mask over the area, smooth the mask, and then move it slightly outwards. This will bring back the bevel.

3. Lastly, you could switch your model into Surface mode, and use the Artman preset called "Sharp-SUB" to redefine the smudged edge. Then touch up with the Artman "Tweak", and "Polish" presets. This method requires the most skill however because it is not as exact as the other two methods above. With some practice however, it is possible to get some nice hard surface edges with the sculpting tools (especially the Artman presets) in Surface mode.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Cheers for the tips TimmyZDesign, I've not actually touched any tools in surface mode yet, I should probably look more into it on the next asset.

You're probably doing the texture work now.

Nope!

It's actually been a crazy slow weekend (and I don't have time/energy to work on it during the weekdays). I'm really REALLY struggling to unwrap this in the retopo room without messing up my mesh.

When using the UV Tools like "Mark seams", I would not expect to be able to move my edges around with the right click also. So just by using general navigation in the viewport to orbit my object or zoom in/out I constantly keep moving things out of place and it's seriously driving me insane. Even using Alt + Right click moves highlighted edges ever so slightly and THEN it zooms the camera.

I'm assuming this odd functionality does not exist in the UV room, but how do I get my retopo into the UV room, and then back into the retopo room in order to bake the normals and occlusion?

I suppose if I map the zoom and orbit to the middle click I might not ever get this again? It does seem a bit stupid that the same functions to just move around are also the ones to adjust the mesh, it's an accident waiting to happen.

I'll end with a picture though, low poly 99% done, I'm having to fix up little issues here and there as I UV, but it's coming along. She sits at just under 3.5k tri's

post-28483-0-62289800-1364144502_thumb.p

• Contributor

Very good!

I like the color scheme even if it is a bit unusual (or because it is).

Keep on the good work!

Yeah, I agree. It would be cool if more guns had interesting color schemes like this (instead of the standard silver or black colors).