3DCoat Forums

Areas on a mesh that I can't paint.

Grimmy

• Advanced Member

I have a retopo mesh on which I have UV unwrapped and sent to the paint room for texturing. Inside the paint room there are black shadows on parts of the object that I cant seem to paint over. I have tried hiding the normal map layer but this effect seems to be on layer 0 I think. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Pic attached.

Thanks

post-37556-0-52445700-1389011772_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

I have a retopo mesh on which I have UV unwrapped and sent to the paint room for texturing. Inside the paint room there are black shadows on parts of the object that I cant seem to paint over. I have tried hiding the normal map layer but this effect seems to be on layer 0 I think. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Pic attached.

Thanks

Turn of the Occlusion layer, maybe? You usually get black sports like that when your inner or outer baking cage isn't adjusted properly. So, blank spots tend to get filled in with black, from the Occlusion Baking.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

In this case I tried just ' importing a model for per pixel painting' from scratch..

1.You can see here that the UV maps look fine...but the actual mesh to paint is all messed up...

2.this is the result I get after I've painted a single new layer of green over the mesh in the paint room.

Not too good I think you will agree.

post-37556-0-37982900-1389020842_thumb.p

post-37556-0-34248900-1389020949_thumb.p

Edited by Grimmy

• Advanced Member

Did you get it working?  Normally, if you're seeing black spots you can't paint over, it's because the occlusion layer didn't bake well, which can be caused by a problem with the edge flow of the retopo mesh, how well it's mapped to the surface of the high-rez sculpt/model, and/or bake settings.  Shaders you've chosen in the Voxel Room (assuming you've been in there, prior to doing all of this) can also affect this.

• Advanced Member

I was finding after doing retopo on a voxel model I made (I did this via the AUTOPO per pixel, with edge loops unticked as it was a simple floor tile model I was hoping to bring into Unity to use) after finishing the AUTOPO wizard when my model was brought into the paint room I had a lot of weird colours on it and sometimes it would be vertical and my original voxel layer would be flat and horizontal. After retopo usually my model would be all black aswell. Not to sure whether I am doing something wrong in the AUTOPO wizard somewhere.

• Advanced Member

If it's a simple floor tile, it might be best just to do the topology, yourself.  It's a simple box, correct?  How did you send it to the Paint Room?  Would you be able to post a screenshot?

At the moment I am in work till late tonight. I can definitely post a screen shot later as I am most probably going to continue trying to model and learn alittle more. The model is a simple box, I used a cube primitive and flattened it and started to add detail on the top to make it look like a rocky floor. I sent it to the paint room by doing AUTOPO on it first (I unticked edgeloops and picked AUTOPO per pixel). I went through the AUTOPO wizard where it asked me about millions of polygons and I could type in a value there it also asked me about smoothing which I kept to 0 after that it then covered my model with a UV I believe and I had to adjust the outer and inner of the UV once I did that I then went onto the option for baking occlusion and after that it automatically showed my model in the paint room, but it was all black and vertical instead of horizontal and I couldn't see any of the detail I put onto my model. Plus when I exported it as an OBJ file and put it into the Unity engine my model looked all shiny with no detail on it at all and was very big in scale and some of the edges and corners of the model where really disfigured and warped.  

Edited by ScrotieFlapWack