3DCoat Forums

Cute as a button, except it's not buttoning.

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to add the button models to an outfit I'm making but it doesn't seem to be working.

The button isn't aligned with the gizmo and the gizmo will not move at all. Everything is locked in place and when I hit apply nothing gets applied. Any idea what's going wrong?

[edit] I deleted the layer and tried again. Now the gizmo and button are moving but when I try to add it I get the boolean error message. I'm not sure why I'm getting such random problems when I've been able to add models without any problems before.

[edit 2] Ah! I think I'm beginning to understand. Are the models only able to be added as non-voxels?

[edit 3] Nope.... added 2 buttons and get the boolean error again when I try to add the 3rd.

Edited by Ghastly

• Reputable Contributor

Trying to tell what's going on without some visual aid is like asking the class instructor or one of his assistants to come help....blindfolded. There are a host of things it could be, and it makes my brain hurt trying to guess what the issue is, with so little info to go on. Not trying to be crass or anything. Only trying to illustrate how frustrating it is one our end, trying to help without at least a screen grab (ALT + SHIFT + S) or screen recording (best).

• Reputable Contributor

Again, without being able to see exactly what is going on in the scene...with the layers, what tool is being used, and what the settings are for those tools..it's hard to tell. But if you have the "button" stored in the models pallet, then you can choose the Primitives tool > click the button and move it into place like this:

• Advanced Member

The boolean error thing seems to be a bug and once it starts up the only thing that gets rid of it is closing the program and restarting it again. Geometries I know have no problem and the included model geometries will occaisionally give the boolean error message and once that starts I can no longer add or modify anything in the program until I restart.

• Reputable Contributor

The boolean error thing seems to be a bug and once it starts up the only thing that gets rid of it is closing the program and restarting it again. Geometries I know have no problem and the included model geometries will occaisionally give the boolean error message and once that starts I can no longer add or modify anything in the program until I restart.

Yeah...I hate doing booleans in surface mode. It's always a hit and miss prospect. Originally, Surface mode was strictly to boost sculpting speed and didn't have any cutting or boolean operations. Andrew added that capability later, but I personally hate using it. It's the one area where Voxels rule. You can make ensure you have enough resolution (by clicking the Increase Res icon at the bottom of the VoxTree layer panel) before committing the object to a layer. Once you have your new voxel object, you can always switch it to Surface mode afterward and Resample the resolution. I always like to toggle wireframe to get an idea how dense it is...that way I know whether I should step up, step down, or leave it.

I always learn something new watching your videos. I was unaware of the easy placement and have been using the old method, Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Thanks, Tony. I know I used to get frustrated with all the new features tossed out (in each build) like candy or beads at Mardis Gras...but there was almost never any visual aid or attempt to show how to use them. One had to just figure it out for themselves.

Edited by AbnRanger