3DCoat Forums

Re-calculate curvature (auto) map

wilson66

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

When using the new PBR materials in the paint room for the first time after importing objects, an automatic curvature map is generated which is then used for the "more on concave", "more on top" settings ect.

Sometimes I have to import additional objects though that were not used in the initial baking process (File -> Import Object).

When I import those objects into the paint room, the curvature map is not generated for those objects, meaning the "more in concave" settings in the PBR Material Editor have no effect on those new objects.

What would be the best/ correct workflow so the curvature map is re-generated for those imported objects?

• Reputable Contributor

I do not think there is a direct way but hide the color layers and AO only leaving the curvature layer. Make the layer visible.

Under the Textures menu, export the curvature map out as a diffuse color map.

We need an export option added to the Texture menu for the curvature map. We can import an external one but no setting to export one natively.

I would be happy if someone came in here and said OH, but you can do it! I would not mine knowing that myself. LOL.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Edit > Edit all layers in external editor

unhidde layer: cavity mask (auto)

helps ?

Yes, true and I thought of that but still need a direct export from the textures menu without hiding and un-hiding in 3DC or an external editor...

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, even in the very first PBR builds you could (re)generate curvature maps. You had to select the curvature map layer, and delete it. It wont be deleted, instead it generates it. This still works in current builds.