3DCoat Forums

Paint past uv islands

orlando

Hi,

Sorry if this a new question or if I have missed something here, but is it not possible to paint past uv islands/borders?

The furthest spot I can go with the brush is the outer border of an uv island. This is ridicules especially for low-poly object. :/

post-37807-0-29025100-1431879909_thumb.p

Edited by orlando

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Is this possible by now? It seems like it has been fixed in Mantis, but in a different way. 

I still can't paint if the middlepoint of the cursor is outside an UV island but that would be necessary for e. g. smoothly chipping away at an alpha border with a big brush.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:18 PM, digman said:

In your case you need to change the "Real Time Padding" mode to Naive Padding in the Preferences menu... Padding equals UV island bleed. 

3DC has 3 ways of creating Padding for the type of models that we are working on. One padding might work better than another depending upon the model. Just remember to change the setting when needed for another model type.

You can use the regular fill tool to fill in areas or use the Surface Material method explain earlier which ever one works for your workflow.

Wireframe shown on purpose. Read the tool tip for each padding type. Also 3DC default padding width is 256 pixels in the preferences menu. I set mine to 6 to 8 to 10 pixels depending upon the texture resolution. If I need a little more pixels for the bleed then of course I can set it for more pixels.

My preferences setting is set at "alway make padding". 

clean.PNG

prep.JPG

Sorry delay, i was adding another reply about real Padding Modes found in preferences.

• Reputable Contributor

Curious ,would this be a workaround for now?

Ctrl P to invoke Photoshop or your selected external editor while in 3DC. Paint past the uv islands in Photoshop / or your editor then save and return to 3DC to update the color information. Of course none of the color information in 3DC past the uv islands will be retained except for the bleed method that is selected and pixel width that is setup in preferences.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Paint past the uv islands can not be good if you overlap textures in your external app after export. Paint with padding limits is very useful to avoid future headaches.

I was thinking about the same. I think the users are asking for a disable feature, to turn off padding and create their own padding. Generally useful for very low polygon models.

You can turn off padding but that is not what the users are asking for. 

3DC would need a new feature. User created hand painted padding (past the uv island edges) and user created painted padding exported. More or less going back to the old days of hand painted bleed. 

Also I seen a few cases on very low low polygon models that at times a few spots just will not cover on some parts of a uv island edge. Generally you would have to correct this in Photoshop.

@ Carlosan, not for you but for others so there is no misunderstanding, I was talking about while you are using 3DC and invoking Photoshop though OLE (object linking and embedding) and not after exporting. This though is not what the users are really asking for...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1