3DCoat Forums

Does my head make my butt look big? ...

wailingmonkey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

thanks Taros and Eric. :)

here's another one (still werking on hands, might do toes or not, and will probably sculpt out the head or merge one in).

this guy started as the sphere, then I added the appendages with curves tool and sculpted ... really like the fact that there's

no real pinching from the 'base'. On the downside, it's quite tough to get into tight areas (especially with smooth, as it tends

to want to connect at a certain distance/threshold). Haven't really explored High Polys yet (this guy is only around 750K)....

:)

post-475-1226549432_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

thanks Taros, yeah...as mentioned, hands need werk and head is just a blob (same with feet). :)

was working on alpha43 a bit today and did this skull and didn't feel like starting a new thread:

skull-spin_th.jpg

still have to work the detail on the teeth and break the jaw from the main head, then I'll retopo and texture to

hopefully end up with a nice little lowpoly wonder as a prop to support another character I'm working on. :)

anyhow, cheers.

• Advanced Member

here's the final skull volumetric sculpt with jaw detached:

final_vol-sculpt_th.jpg

and here's how the lowpoly retopo turned out in 3dc:

lowpoly-n-wires_th.jpg

and here's how it looks in XSI's render region with textures applied (and 2 spot lights, 1 with shadows):

xsi-render-region_th.jpg

and here's with 3 LOD's thanks to XSI's poly reduction :D :

LODs_th.jpg

and that should be just about enough spam from me for one night... :lol:

• Advanced Member

Nice work wailingmonkey!

good work :) what did you use to bake the high to the low?

GED: you can derive your normal map from your voxel mesh right to your retopo mesh in 3dc so long as it has UVs. You can do those right in 3dc as well or in my case I would export the retopo out to UVLayout and back to do the transfer.

• Advanced Member

thanks guys. :)

yeah, GED, what JamesE said...in fact, that's exactly what I did (took the retopo mesh into UVLayout after I'd done a bit of fixing

in Silo). It can get a bit tricky sometimes with having verts on edges (on import they will reproject onto areas sometimes opposite

where you want them), but I usually just delete the fly-away polys and re-do before final 'merge' into 3dc scene.

• Advanced Member
thanks guys. :)

yeah, GED, what JamesE said...in fact, that's exactly what I did (took the retopo mesh into UVLayout after I'd done a bit of fixing

in Silo). It can get a bit tricky sometimes with having verts on edges (on import they will reproject onto areas sometimes opposite

where you want them), but I usually just delete the fly-away polys and re-do before final 'merge' into 3dc scene.

Would be nice if you could disable that on import, since the mesh is already matched up to the high rez - no need to have surface snapping/shrinkwrapping when you bring it back in.