3DCoat Forums

FBX Export.

stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

Ok , I have searched high and low about this...well the internet....But not getting very much info.

When I click on "Export Model and Textures" from the paint room, I get an option to export as FBX and some others.

Does anyone know what this exports?  I tried it with Carrara and all I seemed to get was the object, I was sought of expecting the textures,but also hoping for the Normal map. But carrara is not going to get any upgrades any time soon, so I guess that does not work.

My current method of working is to export to carrara as OBJ then apply the textures and Normal maps by hand.( very easy to do in Carrara)  Recently I have been having another look at Blender and its Cycles renderer.(Not installed it yet because all that node stuff , I no likey!) But I noticed recent updates Have included a FBX importer/exporter. I think FBX includes mocap stuff,bones etc. So why would 3dCoat need FBX?

My holy grail at this point would be to export my painted model with normal maps into Blender and have it appear " all noded up" so to speak,so I can just worry about the render part and not so much applying textures.

" Why dont you just have a go and see" I hear you shout.  Well if some one says this is possible I will have a go and invest a few days looking into it. Just dont want to start doing node tutorials at the moment.( I struggled a bit with Normal maps and nodes a couple of years ago when I last had Blender installed.

• Contributor

FBX is one of the basic file formats like OBJ.

But as you know, it could store more informations.

Sure 3d coat dont need fbx directly but if you work always with fbx, like me. for Unity,

it is nice to have an fbx export, too.

Anyway, Blender cant do that.

You have always to import and connect your terxtures by hand.

What you could do is to create a basic cycles material, that you could import/append to all you projects.

With that you get rid of that Node stuff and have only to assign your textures.

Edited by Malo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hee hee,   I was going to ask that.....but I would be still non the wiser... I need to look at my old posts here , because I am sure someone tried to help me out last time . There may be a picture of a normal map node set up somewhere on here, I may have it on my computer but I spring clean the drive regularly.so prob not.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is the PBR shader I use in Blender, very easy setup and works well. There are I think more advance shaders but this one works with no fuss...

Uploaded the Blender file in zip format.

Picture shows setup

Use the  Roughness---Metalness workflow in 3DC

Under the view menu select the GGX shader (3DC)

Export panel options under the file menu (3DC) select Roughness---Metalness 

The pbr shader is not mine, can not remember now who made it... 

"Important" The normal map node has to be set to NON-Color otherwise it will not work...

The node system is great once you understand the flow...

This will save you some hair pulling... Delete the cube, Yikes the PBR shader disappears... No problem import your model and in the Add tab in the node editor go up to group and it will be listed there, select it Now delete the diffuse BSDF shader and attach the PBR shader node to the material output node.

Blender 2.76 has been released as well..

post-518-0-71906700-1445717977_thumb.png

pbr_final.zip

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A quick default 3DC PBR material in Blender... Pretty much what you see in 3DC, you see in Blender with the PBR shader. 

Left side of image is 3DC... 

I forgot to add earlier, You need to choose the "Normal Map Software Preset" for Blender in the Preferences panel of 3DC. This will reflect in the Retopo room when you bake for normal maps and also be used by 3DC for exporting your normal map from the paint room.

post-518-0-20694500-1445746703_thumb.png

post-518-0-31893500-1445747833_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Malo was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

@Digman

Nice, i use Simple PBR, too.

But looks like i have a little different Version.

One From me.

PBR is not created by me.

There are two Materials in there.

One for the Old texture maps and one for the new PBR.

I use it for games so i export as DX normalmaps,

Blender works with OpenGL normalmaps. IF you want to use the OGL normalmaps delete the RGB curve and connect it new.

3dCoatCyclesMaterial.7z

Edited by Malo
  • Thanks 1