3DCoat Forums

Ready to purchase...just a couple of questions...

michaelws

I have been using the demo trial for 4.5.40.  I initially used this program for it's wonderful hand-painting capabilities on models I made in Blender.  I will buy it if only for that. But I have one question that I should have asked before I purchased other software.

How soon before the next upgrade that all users will have to pay for?  I have purchased other packages and then within a week or two a major upgrade came out, for the same initial purchase price, but where previous version users had to pay for...sometimes equaling half the retail value of the product.  As I am semi-retired and on a pretty modest fixed income and every dollar counts I would hate to buy now and then see that if I waited a month or two I could spend the same amount on the newer version.  I think you know what I mean.

And secondly, and this is not of great importance, are there any good tutorials on hard surface modeling within 3D Coat?  I know I have Blender and could use that and I also have been a long time ZBrush owner and they have polygonal modeling quite a bit improved, but it would be nice to stay within a single program to do most of what I want.

Thanks for any help with these two topics.

Well I just couldn't wait.  I made the plunge.  Just purchased full version.  I hope I get at least 6 months before a paid upgrade happens.  But all that aside...i am pretty excited.  I have known about this software for years but never looked at it.  It was only when I needed a software package to hand paint my blender model that I tried 3D Coat.  I already owned Substance Designer and Painter but they were mostly for shader texturing...so I tried Mari and Quixol.  But none were as easy to use straight up as was 3D Coat...nor as intuitive and none of them was stable on my Wacom Cintiq Companion.

So now I just have to find the time to explore and learn the rest of this program.

So this is one happy customer...if only for the hand-painting aspect of 3D Coat.

• Reputable Contributor

If you made a purchase within 3 months or so of a major release, you'd get the upgrade free. Also, the major upgrades are like V3, V4, V5. Everything in between is a point update and free. 4.7 will be released soon, but it is largely the same as build 4.5.40. It just marks a stage in the V4 cycle.

• Contributor
On 16 czerwiec 2016 at 2:14 AM, AbnRanger said:

If you made a purchase within 3 months or so of a major release, you'd get the upgrade free. Also, the major upgrades are like V3, V4, V5. Everything in between is a point update and free. 4.7 will be released soon, but it is largely the same as build 4.5.40. It just marks a stage in the V4 cycle.

Yeah, there's usually some kind of grace period before the major version and if you have bought the program within it, you'll get a free upgrade. Otherwise, the upgrade costs... hmm... last time it cost me $80 or something like that. Not sure how much will it be when upgrading from 4.x to 5.x. :)