3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 3DCoat hanging on 2M poly import...

andre3000

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, andre3000 said:

It's been loading for 3 minutes now, safe to say it's dead.

what's the poly count limit for 3dcoat?

Where are you importing it? If it's the Paint Room, directly, then I can see why. It's not designed to handle dense models. The SCULPT workspace is.

• Reputable Contributor

I have imported up to 4 million polygon models into the paint room for Per Pixel painting. The tool tip says 1 million polys but you can do more. 

Do these models have a uv set already... auto uvs takes even longer to calculate on high polygon models... 

It really depends upon your Computer system, ram ,video card and the texture resolution you chose. It does take longer to load. Maybe with a really beefy system you can do more than 4 million but that will have to wait till I upgrade my system.

I import scanned models. 

Older 770 gtx video card (4 gig) plus 16 gig of system ram.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Anything beyond a million polygons is pushing the boundary of the Paint Room for Per Pixel Painting.  My 3 million polygon models at 8k map size, generally takes a few minutes to load but they have a uv set. The calculation for auto-map is the main part of your loading time, though an hour seems extreme.  I will test a model with no uv map but not today.

Smart Materials can be complex or simple. Also depends upon what the source resolution of the textures that are used in the Smart Material.

Plus also depends upon your texture resolution.

Yes, they at higher resolution are a little slow but nothing I would say that keeps a workflow from progressing.

If you attach smart materials to layers, you can work at a lower resolution but before exporting you can increase the texture resolution under the textures menu. 3DC will recalculate the textures to the higher quality.

You must though attach a smart material to a layer for it to work.

• Reputable Contributor

Textures menu--- Mesh and Textures Resolution.

This will help the filling of a material but not the time to select a Smart Material. 

The time it takes to select a Smart Material for me is not a major concern for me. I expect them to be longer as they are a complex PBR material shader, not just a stencil.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Smart Materials can contain many textures and conditions. To expect a instantaneous load is not excepted

If I load a 1k  image in Photoshop and a 8k image, the 8k image takes longer, filters take longer to apply. I do not fault Photoshop but know that it will take longer because of the resolution size. 

My comments on Per Pixel Painting as stated is you can push the limits of the polygon count but nothing past 1 million polygons is guaranteed by 3DC.. I have addressed your workflow questions. 

I have a specific use in importing of scanned meshes beyond a million polygons with uvs for Per Pixel Painting which is not described here.

Normal workflow is import the high polygon model into the sculpt room.

Create a low-polygon mesh in the retopo room. Several ways to do that.

Create uvs and bake to the paint room for the normal map that captures all the details of the high polygon model.

million.PNG

Edited by digman

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] 3DCoat hanging on 2M poly import...