3DCoat Forums

image.png

3DCoat 2021 was released, but the development never ends. This thread is dedicated to further development, reports, proposes. All stable and beta builds will be posted there. We start there from build 04. It is estimated as relatively clean. It was really hard work to get it with your awesome help. I am very thankful to everyone who spent the time testing and proposing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The temporary license for anyone who wants to test, but has not bought a license:

3DCoat (10).license - valid till 13 August

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The links to download:

Windows, 2021-21

https://pilgway.com/files/3dcoat/2021/3DCoat-2021-21.exe

https://pilgway.com/files/3dcoat/2021/3DCoatTextura-2021-21.exe

macOS Big Sur 11.4 (2021.21)

https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoat-2021/3DCoat-2021.21.dmg

https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoatTextura-2021/3DCoatTextura-2021.21.dmg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linux Ubuntu 20.04 (2021.15)

https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoat-2021/3DCoat-2021.15.tar.bz2

https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoatTextura-2021/3DCoatTextura-2021.15.tar.bz2

Changelog (in comparison to 2021.03):

4.08.21 2021.21

- Finally fixed the problem when the voxel object disappears if the second stroke starts.

- Problem of the "bulky" build tool is fixed, actually Build may work correctly only in Buildup mode, so this option was just removed, and now Build works always in Buildup mode.

- Falloff is taken into account in the voxel brush engine.

- Closing cross in start menu now works correctly.

- If the joints tool is activated from the joints thumbnails panel, the new surface object will be created, because joints may work correctly only in the surface mode.

- Text correcting system (by user) writes timestamp and author to the textual XML for ease of future merging. It is important for translation the text by multiple users, done now mostly because of Japanese user's requests.

3.08.21 2021.20

- Fixed performance problem when Coat was able to freeze up to 30-40 seconds when you draw very quickly with voxel brushes. Now in complex situations, FPS may drop, but Coat will follow stroke and will not freeze. Performance of brushing increased overall.

- Fixed potentially random problem in voxel brush engine. In some cases, it may lead to the permanent disfunction of the tool - slowdown and other bad things. Possibly it was causing a random mesh disappearing problem reported in this thread.

- If you click on the slider and drag to change the value the SHIFT decreased speed 10x, CTRL - 2x, CTRL+SHIFT - 20x.

- UI tweaks to make 4K resolution look correctly for all font sizes.

- 2d paint creates the correct shape in E-modes.

- The offset problem is now fixed in a straight way, that was really tricky. Several last builds had a "hacky solution", the stroke was approximated by comparison of mouse and pen position. So the possible result was the lack of precision. Anyway, need to check if all that works for all configurations.

- Tools SpineTool and SurfaceSweptStrip polished.

2.08.21 2021.19

- Huge and Extra large font sizes included. For the better support of 4K displays. Fonts generation tuned to be able to generate almost unlimited size of fonts.
- UI tweaks to look good in case of high resolution.

- Bake light and reflections for sculpt objects.

- Renamed "TabletPC" into "WindowsInk" by user request.

- Fixed problem of the fill tool - if you pick color in other tool, switching to fill tool substitutes other color instead.

- Fixed problem when UI elements from the paint room appear in sculpt room (connectivity droplist).

-  Fill tool UI tweaked, fill with eraser works with "Layer button" correctly.

1.08.21 2021.18

- Very important changes in brushing, First, if the pen touches the tablet and you paint something exactly all trajectory that was really drawn on the tablet will be drawn in the model. It makes drawing really responsive, solves the problem of "backstroke" mentioned before in TabletPC mode, solves the problem of shorter strokes than actually drawn. This should strongly improve the drawing experience.

- Offset problem principally fixed. But currently (at this build) at a cost that all rendered 1:1 in screen resolution without system scaling, so UI looks smaller. Probably you will need to set Large font for 4K monitors. Or use custom. Generally, I like how it looks on my 4K monitor, much sharper. But FPS is lower because of the huge number of pixels. This solution is still under the consideration.

-  Fixed crash in muscle/pen, toothpaste.

31.07.21 2021.17

- Curve based tools (tube/muscle, toothpaste)respect pressure controls - radius and depth. If the stroke is fast&dirty the whole stroke is divided into chunks to avoid dirty self-intersection.

- Sharp edges over the curve tool are now correct, without self-intersections. Compare:

image.png

- Fixed issues related to Curves->Import image as mesh. Now curve well previewed, cleaned up before inserting into the scene. And work for old curves approach as well if active now.

- bug reports analyzed, several potential instabilities fixed.

30.07.21 2021.16

- Old splines (from 4.9) may be enabled in preferences in the beta section. In this case, both approaches will work - new curves and old splines as different modes in E-panel.

- Fixed erratic artifacts in the toothpaste tool. This started the polishing round over that sort of tools.

- Snake/muscle/toothpaste tools streamlined and polished - more accurate stroke, smoothing, snapping now has sense, huge values of smoothing - as well (if need almost straight line). Muscle was renamed to Tube/muscle and has now two additional profiles - Bar and Alpha.

- Z-up option works correctly with spline-based tools.

- Relaxing algorithm for all similar tools updated.

- Pose tool in object mode sets gizmo into the center mass of selection and directs the axis along the main axis. It allows manipulating disconnected areas easily.

- Fixed lack of relaxation over the curvature map generated in ptex/mv approach. Now smooth degree is actual for mv/ptex curvature calculation. The curvature is calculated now correctly for ptex.

- Fixed problem when you can't duplicate stacked tool (like Build).

- UI problems of voxel brushes solved, better defaults, possibility to "Restore default".

- Brush engine streamlined, settings in the "Brush options" tabs are invisible if they preset in the tool (like spacing, jitter, paint w/ dabs). It is important to avoid confusion - were we to change parameters?

- Fixed loading of Curve nodes. (Previously, they loaded differently each time)

- Fixed problem when the UV-sets count is different in UV and paint rooms. This was happening if the names of UV sets are not unique. Now UV room synchronized with Paint as soon as UV-sets count difference detected.

- Fixed problem that Carve+CTRL now follows the alpha shape, better default Build.

28.07.21 2021.15

- Build tool in voxels replaced with Build based on VoxelBrush engine. It is as accurate and smooth as the original Build but has better control, settings, and speed. Airbrush still remains, but I see no advantage in it, build does the same, but better.

- Fixed the essential problem of the previous build - incorrect brush direction. Now both issues are fixed - incorrect direction and random brush flip (from earlier builds). So it is important to install 15 instead of 14!

- Carve tool was also implemented within the VoxelEngine paradigm. Same functionality, but better control and speed.

- CPU-s without SSE4.1 are supported as well. SSE2 is enough. It was done so that higher CPU-s will not get the performance penalty.

- Voxel/Surface brush engine skips pressure if pressure dependency is turned off with E-panel (or in top panel).

- Fixed problem when you can't change clone type in paint room clone tool.

- Fixed crash in UV room due to repeating UV set name. But repeating UV sets are still problematic...

27.07.21 2021.14

- 2D-Paint remade to use Voxel Brush Engine. It kept all previous functionality but got much much faster stroking, drawing by spots/chunks, accurate edges, painting without "ladder" effect if thickness becomes too small. And of course rich options for stroke and alpha.

- For other brushes fixed the rare random plane rotation when you stroking fast.

- When Coat starts on some PC the width of the tool params window (if undocked) is set up in correspondence with the font size. Otherwise, it looks ugly on bigger fonts size.

26.07.21 2021.13

- Pose/select object centrifies over the object (center mass + to the main axis).

- If "Steady stroke" is turned off it is really turned off. Before that, it was 6.0 even if turned off. So small movements may have sense. If you want to grow a surface with small movements, it is better to set "Paint w/ dabs" in brush settings (and turn off spacing).

- More accurate strokes in voxel brush engine. Especially without buildup. Fixed rare random bumps in 2d paint, other voxel brushes (looked like the pressure was low sometimes).

- A bit sharper fonts when generated. Blurriness distracts.

25.07.21 2021.12

- Fixed ppp+big spacing issue in connective mode.

- Fixed general problem when the voxel volume has modified surface (still not voxelized) but user attempts to do something that acts natively over voxels. For example, invert hide or cutoff.

- Fixed hotkeys assignment problem in the custom navigation dialog.

- Fixed problem when File->Exit does not store the window position. Window position is now stored into the docs/data/temp/WindowState.json

24.07.21 2021.11

- Materials/stencils control panel cleaned up, looks better, more compact, icon-based. I hope you like the new design. Also, stencils keep scale and states when you switch between them. But CTRL-click acts as before - then settings from the previous stencil will migrate to the newly selected. Pay attention to "Uniformness" and "Extract Bump" in extended settings.

- Splines/models/joints included in the activity bar.

- Fixed possible crash during the sculpting.

- Voxel brush engine quality of stroke improved.

- Probably fixed the stroke issue in PPP mode.

- Fixed old voxel brushes - Airbrush/Buildup

23.07.21 2021.10

- Full support of Unicode. Now special characters are supported everywhere - paths, user folders, layers, objects, textures, items folders may contain non-ASCII characters. Even Photoshop interaction supports non-ASCII layer's names.

- File->Import commands are importing in addition to the current scene, does not clear the scene.

- Spline tool fixed - now adding/moving works over the mesh as well.

22.07.21 2021.09

-Fixed possible crashes when you install older extensions.

- Dropping the image to the viewport and using it as a stencil will activate it immediately, so you will be able to paint with the image instantly.

- Voxel brush engine works correctly with stencils, black areas on stencils will not be affected by the brush.

- Brush engine (both - voxels/surface) handles rectangle/lasso selection with masks correctly.

- Correct Exposure for Light Baking Tool.

- The option for people who want to help with translation, see "Edit-> Preferences->Translate directly into the language file".

- Fixed "lumpy plane problem" when sculpting with voxels brush engine creates lumpy areas. It was related to brushes were normal or position Sampling > 100%.

- Autoretopo with the instant mesh restored in the VoxTree RMB menu.

- Edit->Relocate 3DCoat's data works correctly now.

21.07.21 2021.08

- Fixed PPP problem when stamp drawing may leave dirty tale when you paint over UV. This is a very old bug that was present in 4.9 too.

- The sequence Vox Hide something->Invert hidden->Objectify Hidden now functions correctly.

- Uninstaller fixed, now it removes installed item completely from the programs list and from the start menu, has the correct icon.

- Fixed loading of tangent space normal map.

20.07.21 2021.07 [stable]

- Fixed multiple problems and inconsistencies related to direct painting over stencils and materials using PreviewOptions->Paint over image

- Tools works correctly in general, with no random lines and other buggy stuff.

- Correct alpha direction

- All modes in E-panel work correctly in image editing mode (that's big deal). Of course curve tools may be used in this mode as well.

- It works correctly with pressure and snapping.

- Materials navigation panel tweaked a bit - edit button inserted for ease of finding the edit feature.

- Correct materials duplication if the color layer was painted manually.

- Correct the direction of the pen in radial stamp mode in all modes - sculpt, paint, uv paint, paint over stencil/material.

Other fixes:

- Fixed potential crash during startup (as reported in this thread).

- Corrected snake tool

- Bake shader with reflections in Light Bake Tool

- Fixed "long memory" issues when render settings or spline objects are migrating between projects.

14.07.21 2021.05 [stable]

- Splines tool/Splines window correct functioning.

- Joints editor corrected/polished.

14.07.21 2021.04 [stable]

- Import tool with "On brush" got much better performance, more accurate stroke, better preview, no lag during the saving scene (because too many items stored in primitives history).

- Shading modes restored (flat, depth only, etc...)

- Fixed problem "pen offset" in "TabletPC" interface using "High DPI" mode

- Fixed painting in PPP over the tiled plane (from Start menu).

- Fixed bug with Selection of Face by Brush (if Hold Ctrl)

-  Restored the dropping of any model in items tree (retopo, sculpt) to any model's palette. In addition, the thumbnail will be generated using the current view direction. It was a problem for all previous builds since the origin because previews were sometimes not informative at all.

- Fixed problem of disappearing the activity bar is user tries to click the RMB submenu item outside the activity area.

- Cache/Uncache icon restored in SculptTree items.

- Annoying UI messages removed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I seem to have an issue with 2021.05 that I never had with old V49

When I expand 3D Coat 2021.05 so it fits two of my monitors if I reopen the program it doesn't remember the size I re-scaled it to. This is rather annoying having to re-scale all the contents each time I relaunch the program. Saving/Load a theme doesn't help retain the window scale.

Also is there no direct X option anymore, its just 3DCoatGL64.exe?

Issue with crashing on baking is persistent on version .04. Black render is also the same.

Linux version 

Believe this is a bug. Any changes I make to say, the color in any added lights in the render room are not remembered if I switch to the sculpt room and back to render room. My most recent changes are forgotten. I believe it has something to do with the RenderTool.xml not updating in my .../Documents/3DCoat-2021/UserPrefs/ToolsSettings once changes are made. Workaround is to make a change to any of the lights and save my project. I then have to delete my RenderTool.xml file and quit 3D coat. Once I reopen 3D coat my most recent edits to the lights are now present with the saved file. I also think the render settings are stored globally and not locally for each project. The render changes I made in one projcect file carry over into another completely different project.

ON LINUX.

Edited by ebitz

chisel brush work differently on other side of a mirror and work correctly only on opposite  of your current painting side

• Like 1

along with the bugs chisel and flat behavior is very wrong. It lift surface along brosh circle with the identation.   Is there any way to revert it to previos version behavior. this is critical wor a work7puOMCh.png

• Like 1

2021.05 seems to be missing the same import object option V49 had as well. When I go to File > Import Model for Per Pixel Painting in 2021.05 it asks if I want to save scene before it opens a new one instead of allowing me to import multiple objects into an already existing scene. The only way I am to import multiple objects at once is if I choose all the models at once but it seems I cannot choose the import option later to add any additional models to the scene afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Mystical said:

2021.05 seems to be missing the same import object option V49 had as well. When I go to File > Import Model for Per Pixel Painting in 2021.05 it asks if I want to save scene before it opens a new one instead of allowing me to import multiple objects into an already existing scene. The only way I am to import multiple objects at once is if I choose all the models at once but it seems I cannot choose the import option later to add any additional models to the scene afterwards.

I hope this is changed to allow subsequent import from file menu too.

In the meantime here is a workaround that should do (not tested in 2021) :
import your new model in the retopo room, then do Bake menu > "Retopo>Per pixel (no baking)

• Like 1

Test: Using v05 i am importing .obj without any trouble.

4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Test: Using v05 i am importing .obj without any trouble.

The issue is attempting to import an additional obj or fbx into the same scene, it won't let you. It wants you to close currently open scene and start a new one for the next imported model. In v4.9 I'd be able to import multiple objects in the same scene later.

Edited by Mystical
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah ok, Import Object option is miss. Reported.

Import Object.jpg

• Like 1

would it be possible to create an updater/upgrader process that would install a new version of 3dc and uninstall or replace the old one? so you aren't constantly uninstalling manually?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hdharris said:

would it be possible to create an updater/upgrader process that would install a new version of 3dc and uninstall or replace the old one? so you aren't constantly uninstalling manually?

Might be worth considering, to have a lightweight launcher client window one day, something like "3DCoat launcher", "Pilgway launcher" 
It could have features e.g., 
• View all available apps, 3DCoad, 3DCoat Textura, whether installed or not, with option to perform clean install or first time install
• Connected with account, manage user account, stores serials/licenses
• Automatically retrieve most recent build of 3DCoat, with option to install or update/overwrite present local installation
• Manage content libraries and install things like, packages for 3DCoat with textures from the new PBRLibrary
• Manage floating license, license servers

• Like 1

Some examples of this would be Jetbrains Toolbox, where Jetbrains IDE users can manage and update all their IDE softwares. Or Maxon (cinema 4d guys) Maxon App. Clip Studio, the paint program, has a launcher app where you can see all projects and update, see news, etc.
Talking about this
jetbrains-toolbox_7qrbC1BHSy.thumb.jpg.26f60d5ffbc1757fca73cc49f95ce02b.jpg

In retopology, We have the (Tweak) Slide edges tool.  Does it not make sense to have slide Vertex on this also?  This would reduce having to move to a different tool.

Cheers.

3DC 2021.04 Mac version.

Very often hangs while autosaving. Very annoying... the same was on 4.9 version.Possible to fix?

1 hour ago, iRadovsky said:

3DC 2021.04 Mac version.

Very often hangs while autosaving. Very annoying... the same was on 4.9 version.Possible to fix?

Is it scene dependent? If so, please send example of sense to andrewshpagin@gmail.com. Are there any other conditions?

On 7/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, jimhatama said:

along with the bugs chisel and flat behavior is very wrong. It lift surface along brosh circle with the identation.   Is there any way to revert it to previos version behavior. this is critical wor a work7puOMCh.png

Have you tried last version, 06? Does it persist?