3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member

I seem to have an issue with 2021.05 that I never had with old V49

When I expand 3D Coat 2021.05 so it fits two of my monitors if I reopen the program it doesn't remember the size I re-scaled it to. This is rather annoying having to re-scale all the contents each time I relaunch the program. Saving/Load a theme doesn't help retain the window scale.

Also is there no direct X option anymore, its just 3DCoatGL64.exe?

• Advanced Member

Believe this is a bug. Any changes I make to say, the color in any added lights in the render room are not remembered if I switch to the sculpt room and back to render room. My most recent changes are forgotten. I believe it has something to do with the RenderTool.xml not updating in my .../Documents/3DCoat-2021/UserPrefs/ToolsSettings once changes are made. Workaround is to make a change to any of the lights and save my project. I then have to delete my RenderTool.xml file and quit 3D coat. Once I reopen 3D coat my most recent edits to the lights are now present with the saved file. I also think the render settings are stored globally and not locally for each project. The render changes I made in one projcect file carry over into another completely different project.

ON LINUX.

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member

2021.05 seems to be missing the same import object option V49 had as well. When I go to File > Import Model for Per Pixel Painting in 2021.05 it asks if I want to save scene before it opens a new one instead of allowing me to import multiple objects into an already existing scene. The only way I am to import multiple objects at once is if I choose all the models at once but it seems I cannot choose the import option later to add any additional models to the scene afterwards.

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, Mystical said:

2021.05 seems to be missing the same import object option V49 had as well. When I go to File > Import Model for Per Pixel Painting in 2021.05 it asks if I want to save scene before it opens a new one instead of allowing me to import multiple objects into an already existing scene. The only way I am to import multiple objects at once is if I choose all the models at once but it seems I cannot choose the import option later to add any additional models to the scene afterwards.

I hope this is changed to allow subsequent import from file menu too.

In the meantime here is a workaround that should do (not tested in 2021) :
import your new model in the retopo room, then do Bake menu > "Retopo>Per pixel (no baking)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Test: Using v05 i am importing .obj without any trouble.

The issue is attempting to import an additional obj or fbx into the same scene, it won't let you. It wants you to close currently open scene and start a new one for the next imported model. In v4.9 I'd be able to import multiple objects in the same scene later.

Edited by Mystical
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Hdharris said:

would it be possible to create an updater/upgrader process that would install a new version of 3dc and uninstall or replace the old one? so you aren't constantly uninstalling manually?

Might be worth considering, to have a lightweight launcher client window one day, something like "3DCoat launcher", "Pilgway launcher" 
It could have features e.g., 
• View all available apps, 3DCoad, 3DCoat Textura, whether installed or not, with option to perform clean install or first time install
• Connected with account, manage user account, stores serials/licenses
• Automatically retrieve most recent build of 3DCoat, with option to install or update/overwrite present local installation
• Manage content libraries and install things like, packages for 3DCoat with textures from the new PBRLibrary
• Manage floating license, license servers

• Like 1

• Contributor

Some examples of this would be Jetbrains Toolbox, where Jetbrains IDE users can manage and update all their IDE softwares. Or Maxon (cinema 4d guys) Maxon App. Clip Studio, the paint program, has a launcher app where you can see all projects and update, see news, etc.
Talking about this
jetbrains-toolbox_7qrbC1BHSy.thumb.jpg.26f60d5ffbc1757fca73cc49f95ce02b.jpg

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Is it scene dependent? If so, please send example of sense to andrewshpagin@gmail.com. Are there any other conditions?

It can happened on any project. Just if I don't noticing auto save countdown and don't making the pause in brush movement while it saving.

• Advanced Member

@SERGYI Cloth tool in new scene with a simple sphere freezes 3D Coat. Create a new scene from start menu selecting voxel sculpting -->large sphere. Select cloth tool. Move cloth shape above sphere. Select start simulation. Nothing happens. 3D coat freezes. After force quitting 3d coat it still has a running process eating up 98% of cpu. Have to kill it from sysmonitor.

Edited by ebitz

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic