3DCoat Forums

[TOPIC SOLVED] Tool UI Menu too big - How can I reduce the size of the bar and icons?

Endrit

Question

[TOPIC SOLVED] Thanks everyone for the answers.

Hello, I switched to the most recent version of 3d-coat but now my toolbar is too big, and I cannot scale it down. How can I make it more like the second picture, where the toolbar only sticks out a little bit and the icons are small? It wont let me select the edge at all to make it stick out less.

Best regards,

nnbsHD1.png

Edited by Endrit

14 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, rosikowski said:

by pressing that "T" icon on top (next to a brush stroke) You can cycle through different sizes and look of that toolbar

I understand that you can switch between the different looks (with text, only icons, etc), but the icons still stay extremely large, and I cannot make the bar less wide.

Edited by Endrit

12 hours ago, Endrit said:

but the icons still stay extremely large, and I cannot make the bar less wide.

that`s weird, they do change size for me, maybe you have made the bar wider by grabbing its edge, try  grabbing the edge and move it left :), 
and  other thing You can do is reset page (or pages) to default, 
image.png.1437874680457419eb838c476a3c75d9.png

Edited by rosikowski

4 hours ago, rosikowski said:

that`s weird, they do change size for me, maybe you have made the bar wider by grabbing its edge, try  grabbing the edge and move it left :), 
and  other thing You can do is reset page (or pages) to default, 
image.png.1437874680457419eb838c476a3c75d9.png

Can I see how your UI looks? I cannot grab the edge, at all, it doesnt allow me to move it to the left. Here is a picture showing what I mean, it literally wont let me grab the edge to make it stick out less. Resetting page does nothing as the standard layout is that big. Thank you for your reply!

nnbsHD1.png

Edited by Endrit

• Reputable Contributor
40 minutes ago, Endrit said:

Can I see how your UI looks? I cannot grab the edge, at all, it doesnt allow me to move it to the left. Here is a picture showing what I mean, it literally wont let me grab the edge to make it stick out less. Resetting page does nothing as the standard layout is that big. Thank you for your reply!

nnbsHD1.png

Try this: 

Go to the EDIT Menu > click PREFERENCES > THEME tab > near the top of the panel, there is a drop list menu for FONT SIZE. Change it from AUTO to Medium or Large > hit the APPLY button at the bottom of the panel and see how that affects the size of the text and tool icons.

49 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Try this: 

Go to the EDIT Menu > click PREFERENCES > THEME tab > near the top of the panel, there is a drop list menu for FONT SIZE. Change it from AUTO to Medium or Large > hit the APPLY button at the bottom of the panel and see how that affects the size of the text and tool icons.

Hmm it works in making it a bit smaller, when chosing smallest font size, but then the rest of the UI is too small. its only the tool bar thats too big.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Endrit said:

Hmm it works in making it a bit smaller, when chosing smallest font size, but then the rest of the UI is too small. its only the tool bar thats too big.

On my system, it makes a pretty big difference, but as another user mentioned, if you click the "T" icon above the Tool panel, it will change the scale of the icons/text or show only one or the other. Keep clicking as it cycles between the different options. Does that help?

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

On my system, it makes a pretty big difference, but as another user mentioned, if you click the "T" icon above the Tool panel, it will change the scale of the icons/text or show only one or the other. Keep clicking as it cycles between the different options. Does that help?

Nah, all modes keep the bar as wide as it is. some modes make the icons smaller but thats only with added text next to them.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Endrit said:

Nah, all modes keep the bar as wide as it is. some modes make the icons smaller but thats only with added text next to them.

The Tool Panel width is relative to the text size, so it will shrink if the text shrinks. Nevertheless, there is no current way to make it more narrow, as doing so would clip some text.

36 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

The Tool Panel width is relative to the text size, so it will shrink if the text shrinks. Nevertheless, there is no current way to make it more narrow, as doing so would clip some text.

Thank you for the video, I hope they will add a option to make it more narrow when in icon only mode without text. I appreciate everyone for your answers and help! Ill mark this topic as solved.

Edited by Endrit
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I assume this is the same problem as I'm experiencing right now. Is there an ETA on when there will be a freely resizable tool bar? Or maybe there's a workaround like editing a text file somewhere.

I'd like for the icons to only be one column that's adjustable in width, just like the alphas next to it. Currently, this is taking up a lot of space.

3dCoat_tool_panel.jpg

• Like 1