3DCoat Forums

[BUG] Hotkeys settings not working properly

Go to solution Solved by Lokich,

Hello,

English is not my first language so please excuse me for my grammer errors, I will provide destribtions of the problem I encountered as detailed as I can.

So I'd like to set the toggle symmetry button to "I", set symmetry to bounding box to "O" and pick a custom piont to "P" since I use them a lot.

After I get rid of the defaut binding for "o" and "p" (by hitting redefine) it seems only work as long as I don't close the program. The next time I open the program it will not work, but if I hover my mouse over the tooltip, it clearly shows it is still registered with the correct button. I've tried this on both my personal computer and work computer, seems like a repeatable bug.

And also weiredly enough, the "I" button works fine, does not have any issue at all.

Another strange thing is that after multiple tries, it seems I can't properly delete the hotkey for neither "pick from bounding box" nor "pick 1" when I hit backspace, the tooltip seems to roll back to my previous custom settings(like I don't think it should remember my previous custom settings right? it should just delete the current one) Not only that, if I try the button in the tooltip, it does not actually work.

Hope these informations could help you pinpiont the bug, thank you~

On 12/30/2023 at 12:19 AM, Carlosan said:

Are you using latest version ?

That old bug was fixed on recently versions

Thank you for replying~ Happy New Year!

The version that I'm on was 2023.40, I think it's the latest stable version.

If there is any other informations I can provide to help you, please let me know.

2024-01-02 11-14-21-73.png

On 1/2/2024 at 3:44 PM, Carlosan said:

On win latest versión is 41

Give a try please

Thank you for reply~ I tried the 41 version, and the problem presists, video attached~

As video shown, I tried to register hotkeys for "pick from bounding box" and "pick 1" and it does not work. I can only use mouse key to make it work properly.

2024-01-04 10-30-14.mkv

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 5:57 PM, Oleg_Shapo said:

I have previously escalated this issue to the developer. We hope it will be fixed in version 42.

But unfortunately the problem persists in the 24.01 version:mellow:

I have to add that if I opened 3d coat and set the hokey right now, it will work but only in that session of 3d coat opening. Meaning once the program is closed and I open it again. One of the 2 situation will happen.

1. Sometime it will not remeber the hotkeys I set as it will show nothing on the tooltip, hence I have to set it again.

2. It does remember, but not work when I pressed the keyboard. It will only work if I mouse click it which is very annoying.

Video attached~ Hope it helps.

2024-01-14 11-41-42.mkv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I ran into same problem, this is what worked for me.
Open the hotkey file with a text editor C:\Users\Name\Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\Preferences\Options_Hotkeys.xml
and reassign the buttons manually by filling in the required fields.

Note that if you have reassigned the same buttons several times from app, empty duplicates records of function hotkey will be created , you need to delete duplicates and keep only 1 record (seatch for duplicates by command names).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lokich said:

I ran into same problem, this is what worked for me.
Open the hotkey file with a text editor C:\Users\Name\Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\Preferences\Options_Hotkeys.xml
and reassign the buttons manually by filling in the required fields.

Note that if you have reassigned the same buttons several times from app, empty duplicates records of function hotkey will be created , you need to delete duplicates and keep only 1 record (seatch for duplicates by command names).

I did found multiple records and tried to delete the dupilicates, unfortunately it did not work for me. It will show the tooltip when I mouse over it, but did not reponse when I press the button.

22 hours ago, Hao said:

I did found multiple records and tried to delete the dupilicates, unfortunately it did not work for me. It will show the tooltip when I mouse over it, but did not reponse when I press the button.

I can only assume that during one of the reassignment attempts, you used 'add' instead of 'replace' and the error occurs because of that, so your hotkey is still being used for something else.
Just some theories you can try
1) reset the hotkeys to default, reassign them manually via editing in a text file
2) reset the hotkeys to default, reassign them in the app 1 time with overwrite, check the text file for duplicate empty entry and duplicate of key combinations

just in case I put my hotkeys file in the attachments, I reassigneda lot of the functions, you can see examples or check if changes in this file can work at all or problem somewhere else

Options_Hotkeys.xml

1 hour ago, Lokich said:

I can only assume that during one of the reassignment attempts, you used 'add' instead of 'replace' and the error occurs because of that, so your hotkey is still being used for something else.
Just some theories you can try
1) reset the hotkeys to default, reassign them manually via editing in a text file
2) reset the hotkeys to default, reassign them in the app 1 time with overwrite, check the text file for duplicate empty entry and duplicate of key combinations

just in case I put my hotkeys file in the attachments, I reassigneda lot of the functions, you can see examples or check if changes in this file can work at all or problem somewhere else

Options_Hotkeys.xml 47.33 kB · 1 download

I fresh install the 3dcoat and tried to locate the problem because the old file is a giant pile of mess.

It seems that when I set the hotkeys for SymmetryParam: Pick from bounding box and pick 1, it accidently did not replace the hotkey but write the decrease and increase the opacity with "o" and "P" again without stacking. Here's what I see:     should I change the redundant one to "key_00"?

<OneHotKey>
            <ID>SymmetryParams::PickFromBB</ID>
            <Room>Voxels</Room>
            <Code>O</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
            <AllowStack>false</AllowStack>
            <UserDefined>1</UserDefined>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>SymmetryParams::Pick1</ID>
            <Room>Voxels</Room>
            <Code>P</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>DEC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>O</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>INC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>P</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
    </HotKeys>
</AppOptions>

38 minutes ago, Hao said:

I fresh install the 3dcoat and tried to locate the problem because the old file is a giant pile of mess.

It seems that when I set the hotkeys for SymmetryParam: Pick from bounding box and pick 1, it accidently did not replace the hotkey but write the decrease and increase the opacity with "o" and "P" again without stacking. Here's what I see:     should I change the redundant one to "key_00"?

<OneHotKey>
            <ID>SymmetryParams::PickFromBB</ID>
            <Room>Voxels</Room>
            <Code>O</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>SymmetryParams::Pick1</ID>
            <Room>Voxels</Room>
            <Code>P</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>DEC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>O</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>INC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>P</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
    </HotKeys>
</AppOptions>

I can only speculate, but I think it works like this, whenever you want to get rid of a hotkey, you either reset all its values to false/empty/1 and <Code>key_00</Code>

or you can even fully delete all block  

<OneHotKey>
            <ID>INC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>key_00</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
 </OneHotKey>

so yes , put  <Code>key_00</Code> for INC_OPACITY and DEC_OPACITY
and see if it works.
Don't worry about breaking something, you can always reset Hotkeys file to default and try again.           

20 minutes ago, Lokich said:

I can only speculate, but I think it works like this, whenever you want to get rid of a hotkey, you either reset all its values to false/empty/1 and <Code>key_00</Code>

or you can even fully delete all block  

<OneHotKey>
            <ID>INC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>key_00</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
 </OneHotKey>

so yes , put  <Code>key_00</Code> for INC_OPACITY and DEC_OPACITY
and see if it works.
Don't worry about breaking something, you can always reset Hotkeys file to default and try again.           

Weirdly enough, these two line will be added back everytime I deleted it or changed it. Can you try with exact "O" and "P" key please? My every other hotkeys are working fine without any additional tweaking.

<OneHotKey>
            <ID>DEC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>O</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>INC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>P</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>

• Solution
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Lokich was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

1 hour ago, Hao said:

Weirdly enough, these two line will be added back everytime I deleted it or changed it. Can you try with exact "O" and "P" key please? My every other hotkeys are working fine without any additional tweaking.

<OneHotKey>
            <ID>DEC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>O</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>
        <OneHotKey>
            <ID>INC_OPACITY</ID>
            <Room></Room>
            <Code>P</Code>
            <Ctrl>false</Ctrl>
            <Alt>false</Alt>
            <Shift>false</Shift>
        </OneHotKey>

Great news, I did it :)

You are right, it looks like we can't leave DEC_OPACITY and INC_OPACITY without assigning a key at all, but you can reassign something unused to it, and then P and O can be assigned to what you want.

I assigned  DEC_OPACITY and INC_OPACITY numbers 7 and 8 (<Code>7</Code> ,<Code>8</Code>) and what I assigned to P and  O worked just like you wanted it to.;) 

I know it's a pain in the ass, but I hope it will make your life easier, I liked this program so much more when I was finally able to reconfigure all keys.

Also note that you can lose hotkeys in other rooms  because of reassigning (unless you take care to specify the room correctly in <Room></Room> ), but I don't use anything but sculpt, so I don't care.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lokich said:

Great news, I did it :)

You are right, it looks like we can't leave DEC_OPACITY and INC_OPACITY without assigning a key at all, but you can reassign something unused to it, and then P and O can be assigned to what you want.

I assigned  DEC_OPACITY and INC_OPACITY numbers 7 and 8 (<Code>7</Code> ,<Code>8</Code>) and what I assigned to P and  O worked just like you wanted it to.;) 

I know it's a pain in the ass, but I hope it will make your life easier, I liked this program so much more when I was finally able to reconfigure all keys.

Also note that you can lose hotkeys in other rooms  because of reassigning (unless you take care to specify the room correctly in <Room></Room> ), but I don't use anything but sculpt, so I don't care.

OMG thank you so much! Although the bug is still there but atleast I can get it to work. Thank you~

• Like 1