3DCoat Forums

Retopo Layer - Concept

Taros

Taros retopo concent  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is Taros "retopo tree" concept feasible?

• Yes I like it, and can't await to see it implemented.
    • Not bad idea, but needs a lot adaption.
    • No, I don't like this idea. 3D Coat is perfect like it is.

Hi,

in the last time the wishes for retopo layers begin to raise. So I've decided to write this thread, where the developers can find ideas and concepts especially for the retopo layers. My opinion is: this is important enough to frame such a thread.

Ok here is my concept ideas for a retopo layer window:

1. The window contains layers with one or more retopo-objects and is called "retopo tree". Retopo objects can be called clusters, too.

2. Layers can be created, deleted, renamed, extracted, hidden and exported as obj file.

2 a) If you create a new layer, it gets a default name.

2 b ) If you delete a layer, and the layer is not empty the system warns you: "Layer contains objects. Really delete?". You can switch this kind of messages off, in the preferences.

2 c) You can delete all layers, but one, the "base layer", this one cannot be deleted, just renamed. I don't know, if this is important for the developers.

2 d) You can rename all layers by double click on them or choose "rename" in the right mouse button menue. New: If you select more than one layer and choose "rename", after typing in the new name all layers gets the same name, but are numbered.

Example: I choose three layers and rename them to "finger", the renamed results are named by "finger1", finger2" and "finger3" automatically. This function could be used on every layer system of 3DC.

2 e) You can choose a retopo cluster(connected polygon isle) and extract the cluster into a new layer. Example: I select a cluster, click the right mouse button and select "extract selected cluster to new layer". A new layer will be created and the extracted object will be moved there automatically. The new created layer stays in the hierarchy and became a child of the parent layer automatically.

3 f) Of course you can extract all polygon clusters automatically to seperate new layers. In this case you choose "extract all clusters to new layer".

Info: Layers, with more than one retopo cluster inside, will be handled as one object in the exported obj-file. See chapter 5 "exporting".

4 a) You have the possibillity to import the voxel layer hierarchy into the retopo layer window. After switching from voxel tab, the system checks if there is more than one layer in the vox tree and asks you for importing the vox tree layer hierarchy into the "retopo tree".

Example: I move to the retopo tab, and see the following example message "You have more then one vox tree layer. Do you like to import the layer hierarchy?" Yes or No. After confirming I see the exact hierarchy copy of my vox tree in the retopo tree, the layer names are the same too. I can begin with retopo.

The very important point here is: If I hide a retopo layer, that was created by importing the vox tree hierarchy, the associated vox object will be automatically hidden too. This is handy and important for the retopo flow.

4 b ) If you didn't imported the vox tree, the system don't know which vox object depends to which retopo layer. Here you have the possibility to "connect" a retopo layer seperately to a voxel object. In this case you click with the right mouse button on a retopo layer, there you choose: "Connect to voxel layer." Now a window with the vox tree appears. Here you choose the vox layer, which have to be connected with the selected retopo layer and click "connect" or "cancel" if you want cancel this operation for any reason.

4 c) A small chain-icon gives feedback, if a retopo tree layer is connected to a vox tree layer.

4 d) If there is no vox layer connection to a active retopo layer, the whole vox tree content is connected to this layer, by default.

5. Exporting retopo clusters:

5 a) You can export all layers, single layers, layer hierarchy and seperate selected layer groups.

5 b ) Before exporting, the system asks you for the object handling. This is important if you export more then one layer or a hierarchy. This means: a window appears and contains a text like this: "Do you like to merge the layers into one object before exporting?" You can choose between "export as single object" or "export as object hierarchy". The obj file will contain one single mesh or several meshes, depenting what you choosed.

This is very important and make further work easier in third party applications.

All the hierarchy organisation of the retopo tree should work like in the vox tree, I mean the "drag and drop" functionality to manage the layer hierarchy.

Ok. That's all for now. I needed some time to write all this. Maybe I forgot something. But it is now up to you, to write your ideas here.

Important: It would make the development and overall understanding much easier if you could write down, how your idea should work in 3DC and not only as a wish. This is not mandatory but would be nice. ;)

Hope you like it. Some of my retopo tree ideas may fit to other layer trees too, like the vox tree. Be free to use it.

Best regards

Chris

PS: If you like my idea, please poll. Thanx.