3DCoat Forums

Truck Tires

philnolan3d

I don't know anything about trucks or their tires, but I thought it might be fun to make one in 3DC. So I looked around and found some that look cool. These are Dick Cepek Crusher tires.

dickcepekcrusher.th.jpg

So far I have one strip of tread and need to array it around with either Wrap or Axial.

cepekcrushers01.jpg

• Advanced Member
Rut roh... Slight problem, duplicating this with axial 21 times creates 110 million triangles. Normally my computer starts to choke at around 25 mil.

Yeah, I ran into that issue too. With axial symmetry or the warp-tool one can easily create files which can not get exported by any means

(at least on my Laptop). Saving raw mesh doesn't work and also Quadrangulation runs out of memory.

I'm thinking maybe I can do an array of 3, then gradually duplicate and rotate it 7 times, making 21, and maybe it will be easier to gradually work my way into it. It might not turn out as precise, but it should be good enough.

For the profile pieces you have now this could work, but what will happen when you ad the baseshape of the tyre to them?

Will you get the full voxel count which should be 120 to 130 mil?

I hope you are succsessful.

• Advanced Member

What about re-topoing the one section, baking a displacement map (or a normal map for that matter) and then using that all the way round

Yeah , very good idea.

Make the tire without the detailled section; make one section to bake it on the tire.

Or use less detailled sections ? for more simple tires.

Depends on your goal : presentation or game.

For game players won't take too much attention to tires ,specially when the car is running !