3DCoat Forums

polygon modelling room

geo_n

• Advanced Member

I'm thinking I would like to have polygon workflow in 3dc since I think that's the only thing missing for me to leave lw modeller completely. I was thinking of modo but its just not mainstream enough here to warrant a purchase. I either create assets in max or lw but prefer lw for its focused polymod workflow in lw modeller and I dont have to deal with heavy resources unlike max.

Maybe a 3dcoat 4 feature request after all sculpting, retopo, uv,etc tools have been completed and bug free. Aren't the tools already here to have a polymod room? Since modo and blender are slowly heading for good sculpting workflow I think 3dc can go the other way around.

I was thinking about this yesterday and it doesn't seem that hard to get it roughly set up, then add to it. For example if you took the retopo room, made the polys opaque and not stick to a surface, you've got a pretty good starting point right there. Something else to add to that could be numerical input / display. Of course I think a good amount of time should be spent on current bugs before getting into this.

• Contributor

Of course I think a good amount of time should be spent on current bugs before getting into this.

I strongly concur. 3DC as a voxel modeler and surface painter has a niche virtually to itself. Making it into something of all things to all users would involve Andrew in an endless hassle. I think reference modelling is easier in polymodel because you can't rotate the scene, but I don't see this as something that can't be implemented in voxel room.

I undertook to model using references and realized I would actually have to get some experience at it to be successful (I miss the plodding certitude of polymodeling!). Anyone hankering after polymodeling would be better advised to acquire the skill necessary for voxels.

• Advanced Member

Well retopology is already some sort of hard surface modeling tool :)

It would just need a checkbox : "Don't stick to surface"

A room like this would have benefits and allow to :

- Draw Hard surface models : Cars, House

- A quick simple workflow : Bring details by painting on normal texture after modeling

- model lot of hard edges assets for a character quickly without using retopology : Sword, shield, plates of armor, military weapons

- modeling complete scenes : Houses and characters

Well it would be a all in one modeling application :

no more need to go switch to another modeler to do specific hard edges things and come back to 3D Coat after.

Because of retopology tools already doing the job , perhaps it could be easy to port theses tools to a Hard Edges modeling room ?

(Only need to not stick to any surface and only space camera plan) !

Well only Andrew could answer us !

I think all sculpting tools will do some approcha like voxels (Zbrush brought Z Spehre2) !

And they will also go to Hard Surface domain i think !

Blender is going that way improving sculpting, Zbrush or MudBox will surely go in the other path to bring hard surface tools !

• Advanced Member

I also think that adding polygon-editing tools was a waste of Andrews energy.

There's fabulous (even free)options to do this kind of work and 3DC plays very

nicely with them.

Not really a waste I think since all models will eventually end up as polys in a production for tv,film,games unless the major appz can animate and edit voxels. I still use polys more than anything for commercial and film work. If ever modo, blender catches up with their sculpting tool then I think not having a poly workflow in 3dc would be a pita. Unfortunately in japan free means useless that's why its free. Just look at how Apple markets everything and people buy it even if its crap as long as it has a price tag expensive at that :P

• Advanced Member

Well it would be a all in one modeling application :

no more need to go switch to another modeler to do specific hard edges things and come back to 3D Coat after.

Yes I think that would be good for 3dc. No need for animation, for physics/water simulation, etc. I'm not asking for those irrelevant features. Just asset creation which is where it all starts and a program like modo comes close only needs robust sculpting and is even used in Pixar to create assets.

• Advanced Member

Just asset creation which is where it all starts

Yeah , just that area complete from modeling hard surfaces, sculpting, painting would make the complete tool.

Animation is a too big area and already well done by other apps like Blender.

For lot of people Animation is the last step once all modeling , texturing is finished on a model, so no worry to switch to another sofwtare for animaetd characters.

And hard surface objects don't need animation : Assets, armors, weapons, vehicles, houses etc ... :)

• Advanced Member

Not really a waste I think since all models will eventually end up as polys in a production for tv,film,games unless the major appz can animate and edit voxels. I still use polys more than anything for commercial and film work. If ever modo, blender catches up with their sculpting tool then I think not having a poly workflow in 3dc would be a pita. Unfortunately in japan free means useless that's why its free. Just look at how Apple markets everything and people buy it even if its crap as long as it has a price tag expensive at that :P

Hmm,

I fail to discover any proper argument here...