3DCoat Forums

In need of URGENT HELP with wacom drivers

• Advanced Member

Hi;

Andrew pointed out in a thread that I started about not getting any pen pressure sensitivity in 3DC that I need to use a specific wacom driver that works well with 3DC under vista (here's the link) I downloaded and installed it. It was working just fine until I shutdown the PC and restarted it; everything went haywire, right click was gone daddy gone in windows and in 3DC and all other graphic apps I have on my PC the tablet could only recognize a minimal portion of the screen on the top left side of the monitor screen. I deleted all my wacom prefs from the tablet prefs file utility and reset everything, sadly to no avail. I had to resort to formatting my PC and install the wacom driver Andrew suggested, this time from scratch (previously I had pro605-7_int that worked just fine under both XP and vista except that it had pressure sensitivity issues)

This time I didn't run into any problems with my applications, except that I lost the right click context menu in windows Grrrr... So I had to turn on the "Use the pen button as a right click equivalent" option under the dreaded Vista Pen and input devices catastrophe. I usually turn off everything regarding those settings cuz they really interfere with wacom's tablet operations. And now whenever I right click in any session, I get a danged animated circle before a context menu pops up. But in 3DC it's a huge problem, especially when tweaking retopo meshes with the rmb while still in the Add/Split tool. There is a nerve racking lag before each rmb click and that's literally driving me crazy!!

What should I do? I paid s**t loads of money for this danged Vista Ultimate, so I wanna be able to use it, meaning I don't wanna have to install XP just over a driver issue(Not that I don't like it, just the contrary...) So anyone who is using Vista x64, I need help and advice. All input will be wildly appreciated.

Thanx in advance;

AJ

• Contributor

My pen started goofing off when I updated to the latest Wacom driver for Intuos 3. Now the pen works better than the tablet mouse. This happened before with an update but somehow corrected itself in time (don't ask how). Windows 7 is on it's way (the Pro version as I don't need Ultimate language support). 8)

• Advanced Member

Try this :)

Select the Run function from Windows Sratup menu and type Msconfig and press enter.

In Services tab uncheck "Tablet Pc Input Service".

Reboot.

You might need to reinstall Wacom driver after this.

Artman, this is the second time you helped me out!! Thanx a million man :) You know, I've been looking around the net for solutions to this thing, and in Wacom's so-called knowledge data base, which can't be slimmer btw, there isn't a single reference let alone a remedy to this issue. Eternally grateful dear sir, thank you again...

Cheers

AJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: For anyone on windows 7 x64, DON'T use the latest Wacom drivers, use the version recommended here by Andrew. The latets Wacom drivers have a terrible bug that gets any 3D application to crash after ALT+TAB'ing to and from Photoshop CS3. I informed Wacom about the issue, they said they'll investigate (sheeshh) :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: For anyone on windows 7 x64, DON'T use the latest Wacom drivers, use the version recommended here by Andrew. The latets Wacom drivers have a terrible bug that gets any 3D application to crash after ALT+TAB'ing to and from Photoshop CS3. I informed Wacom about the issue, they said they'll investigate (sheeshh) smile.gif

Actually... perhaps the wacom driver issue should be a sticky thread with driver links at the top.

In XP x64, there are issues as well - must use specific driver for best functionality.

there was also (and I don't remember how I fixed it) but with the pen input you have to disable something to prevent the press-and-hold = right click annoying functionality that renders ALL pressure sensitive software (photoshop, sketchbook pro, 3dc) nearly un-useable... hehe... so.. this pen driver issues, to me, seems worthy of a sticky.

EDIT: PS> What is it about PS and 3D Apps... PS seems to mess up Maya badly... in fact I can't run the two at the same time without experiencing graphics glitches. I'll have to look into the Wacom thing... but see I'm on SP x64... and my experience with wacom / photoshop / and 3D apps sounds similar... which makes me wonder if it's Win 7, or just Wacom or Adobe... ya know?

• Contributor

Actually... perhaps the wacom driver issue should be a sticky thread with driver links at the top.

In XP x64, there are issues as well - must use specific driver for best functionality.

there was also (and I don't remember how I fixed it) but with the pen input you have to disable something to prevent the press-and-hold = right click annoying functionality that renders ALL pressure sensitive software (photoshop, sketchbook pro, 3dc) nearly un-useable... hehe... so.. this pen driver issues, to me, seems worthy of a sticky.

My new W 7 blue sceened twice in Photoshop with a video card (Nvidea w/latest drivers) failure in an apparent conflict with Jing. While in PS, Jing shut down with a popup about video failure followed by the bluescreen of death. It must have sorted itself out as I have had no further incidents.

I had one BSOD when I had photoshop open and I was using 3DC. Another BSOD when I was using photoshop with 3DC and camtasia studio in the background.

Also I've had my wacom not work at all roughly 6 times now, unlpugging it and plugging it back in and then installing the driver again seems to work... But then rinse and repeat the prior comments. It's really annoying, so thanks for the heads up on the drivers there.

Anyway, I like Win7 alot... I hope they can work out these issues and I'll be a very happy camper.

• Advanced Member

OK, so I have been discussing this with some folks, and I thought it might be a good idea to share this with others to see if everyone has seen the correct behavior and what to expect with the sphere tool, when using pressure sensitivity and wacom tablet.

If you do not get thick-to-thin strokes using the sphere tool - something is probably off with the driver or etc.

In fact, I didn't even realize my pressure sensitivity wasn't working at first, because I wasn't familiar with the tools when I was first learning (how would I know what was, or wasn't, correct behavior)

This is what I have, and how it's working for me.

post-2065-1257777919556_thumb.jpg

However, I also have Intuos 3, and have pressure levels set to 1024, and Pen sensitivity set to 1.0,

and in the Wacom control panel I have the pressure mapping set to linear (no bulge or bow in the mapping curve)

if I use any other settings, the thick-to-thin behvior is WAY too quick to go from thin to thick, either at the end of the pressure sensitivity or the beginning.

I also just noticed another (?) quirk with the latest wacom drivers, the very latest beta (3.1.17 x64) and Windows 7 x64:

If I open a new scene, select the default sphere for per pixel painting and set the texture resolution to the default 1024x1024 everything is fine. But as soon as I up the texture resolution to 4096x4096 or 8192x8192, the pen acts weirdly. For example I can no longer adjust the ambient or primary light in fine steps. The pen then behaves like it was in some sort of "mouse mode" and the values just change in large steps at the slightes pen movement.

Setting the texture resolution back to 1024 or 2048 doesn't help then any more.

The same happens when you open a new scene for per pixel painting and directly set the texture to something above 2048.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour? Should I open another thread for this?

Thanks

debris