3DCoat Forums

Famous person

philnolan3d

What's funny is that half of what you said was the exact opposite of what some other people have told me to do (which I did). I think I've got his nose pretty much dead on from the side. Here's a screenshot I did yesterday, since then I've worked on it a little more.

bwwip06.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thats strange.

I was going by this view.

http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Bruce_Willis%20-%201%20-%2016_Blocks.jpg

In your side view it looks as if he's angled slightly away from the screen but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2668/3903233154_8b773b9f4a.jpg

http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/bruce-willis/bruce-willis-20040405-36.jpg

I dont know he seems to have a different nose for different occasions.

These two views seem to contradict one another. Perhaps he's had it broken?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/20/article-0-0082C9D600000578-861_468x679.jpg

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/0/4/Bruce_Willis_1.0.0.0x0.610x912.jpeg

From your side view though the nose needs to come in a bit and the forehead the same and softened a bit.

I'm reasonably confident about my other points though.

edit: I did a quick thing which may help show you what I mean with the side view. Its not an exact match, but its close.

brucywitskull.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi Phil,

I tried overlaying the images to see what the issues were and I think the main one is the eyes. Brucie always seems to be squinting a bit!

Check out the gif. I hope this helps you. I am working on a Samuel L Jackson and a Ben Kingsley at the moment and it is so tricky to get the features right.

I am slightly caricaturing mine though as it can make it a bit easier.

I always have a few issues with eyes and sometimes make em too big and although I have been told it works in my paintings it is waaaaay more difficult in 3D with every angle visible and all that...

post-421-12688380529996_thumb.gif

Unfortunately I just got in an argument on another forum about that image. So I don't mean to argue but simply put he's blinking in that image. You can see in this clip of that scene his eyes are open much larger before and after that frame.

http://screencast.com/t/ZmZmMjRiZT

I've tweaked a few other things so it matches that image better, but really I'm trying to find a balance between all of my reference images since his facial expression would be different in each of them of course. Thanks for the lines though I'll see how that compares to the changes I made.

Edit: One last screenshot before I head to bed.

2010-03-17_1122.png

• Advanced Member

You are right, the clip makes it pretty clear that his eyes are a little wider.

Maybe its just a case of bringing his eyes forward a bit and making the outside overhanging skin-flaps a bit lower. (I couldn't think of another way to describe it :D)

He's looking good anyway. A few tweaks and he will be there. I wouldn't res up just yet though...

I think one thing that will help his eyes is actually going up, then the finer wrinkles, crows feet, and sharper corner will be posible. I thionk those are some of the things that make his eyes recognizable.

Thanks.

Uploaded another YouTube video (I think I posted the first one here). I'm going to start retopo work, then do the fine details and texturing in Ptex I think, it should be a good test of the Ptex can do. Then hopefully I'll be able to render and do a little hair in LightWave.

Hi philnolan3d, overall it's a good start!

Before you go to retopo, please take some time and tweak the shape a little.

i think, it's worth it.

I marked some points on your picture where i think they need some improvenment, hope you don't mind.

Keep it up! :)

regards

Markus

post-1448-126919848588_thumb.jpg

Thanks, actually I started retopo last night. Almost finished now. Thanks for the tips though, I have already rotated the ear clockwise, which is basically the same as what you showed. I plan to enlarge the back of the head even further than what you showed actually, see Calabi's post above with the skull image. The voxels are too dense right now so it will be easier to do that after moving to the paint room. I think the other stuff would be OK to do in the paint room or sculpt room as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm trying to do this with all quads so it will be easier for Ptex.

2010-03-21_1542.png

Nice,

yes have seen Calabi's post, he attached some good ref pics.

Doing a Celebrity is almost always a hard thing to do.

Tried it for myself a couple of months ago, but haven't finished it.

yes forgot the sculptroom :), should be working much better, especially with the movetool

I'm curious about it, what's coming next.

Haha thanks. Yes all quads since that should be better for Ptex. Or at least it's supposed to be. Wouldn't you know I saw a couple with 5 points in that screenshot while I was reading your post? Unfortunately making all quads does lead to a few extra edges that wouldn't normally be there. It would be really helpful if 3DC had a counter for visible tri's, and n-gons.

The most helpful shape here is the 4 pointed triangle. :)

Sad news for now. My file isn't working. 3DC crashes every time I try to load it. Same thing with the recent auto-saves. I sent it to Andrew, hopefully he can fix it.

Anyway, here's an update I made before this started.

bwwip12.th.jpg

Edit:

Andrew said the file loaded fine for him, so maybe he fixed something without even realizing it. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next update (which he said is coming soon).

Edit 2:

Awesome the new update fixed my loading problem.

• Advanced Member

Be careful with these wrinkles Phil, my advice is to give them more volume, not just lines. When rendering start, you'll be sorry. I learned this lesson by the hard way. Don't smooth them, just give some volume.

He is more Bruce now. Well done so far. :drinks: Hmmm yes we drink too much in this forum lol. But its my favorite emoticon.

Thanks, I do normally sculpt the wrinkle in, then add some bulk on either side. Maybe it's just not enough, I'll do some more.

I added some beard stubble texture. I'll be using FiberFX in LW to add real stubble later. I also darkened the skin and increased the saturation and contrast a bit, it felt too light to me. Funny thing is that I didn't realize 3DC has Hue / Saturation controls and Brightness / Contrast controls just like Photoshop, I was actually typing a feature request when I found the feature right where it should be in the Texture menu.

bwwip15.th.jpg

Sry, i try to explain it.

the Area i mean, is the right and left side of the skull, it's called temple i think.

On the Referencepictures in you thread, u can see there is a nice curved bonestructure under the skin.

I marked that Areas in the Referencepictures, to specify of wich parts of your Headmodel i was talking about, maybe it helps you a little.

regards

Markus

post-1448-12700580963016_thumb.jpg

post-1448-12700581304016_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Thank you, those images are probably the best advice I've received.

lol Phil this is what i meant with my post about side of the head but Markus made it much clearer. :)

Beside this minor tweak I think Its looking pretty nice now.

Good job .:good:

About texturing:

If I were you i would use "distort mask with brush" feature using hires Bruce pictures.

It would be day and night.

Cant wait to see it finished,its gonna be a cool Ptex showcase.

Do you mean just stamping the photo onto him? That might look OK, but I prefer to hand paint the textures. This is, after all, a learning experience. Personally I've never liked the look of it when people do that anyway it doesn't look real to me.

BTW funny story, I was looking at your profile while you were typing this and saw that you were here. hehe I shared your mech thread on Twitter for #wipwednesday