3DCoat Forums

Voxel units question

jlert

Hi all,

When I create an object in lightwave and import it as voxels I always have to blow it up to an enormous size. The first time I tried importing an object I thought there was something wrong with 3d-coat until I realized that my object was so small that it was hidden inside the cube at the center of the transform gizmo. Is there a setting in 3d-coat to set the scale of objects so that they can be a meter or so across instead of hundreds of meters?

Thanks,

-Joe Lertola

Hey there.

I'm not aware of any setting to do this - I'm a LW user too - I always just scale my objects accordingly. I also notice that when using LW, even if your model is created with real world scale, it is really small or really large. Not sure what determines how it is decided what scale it should be when using the merge tool for voxels.

Anyway, I'll talk to Andrew on the matter. Maybe he has some idea. I'll report back when I hear back.

• Reputable Contributor

Scaling is for increasing your voxel resolution but at the merge screen just click on the yes button in the dialog box. That will keep your original scale of you lightwave object upon export after you complete your work. At least that is what I think it is for. Any other objects you import in a different layer, 3DCoat will not ask you again but I believe it keeps the same setting for the session...

post-518-1269042675935_thumb.jpg

In my experience the issue is with Lightwave. In Lightwave, if you want to export your object to real-world scale, you need to scale in up by 100,000%! Whenever I've had anything printed from 3d, this was the scale I needed to use. Lightwave has it's own internal measurement system and does not use the same "units" as other 3d programs.

Paul

In my experience the issue is with Lightwave. In Lightwave, if you want to export your object to real-world scale, you need to scale in up by 100,000%! Whenever I've had anything printed from 3d, this was the scale I needed to use. Lightwave has it's own internal measurement system and does not use the same "units" as other 3d programs

This depends, For example if I set max to use real-world scale, then objects imported from LightWave are correct. Same goes for Unity 3D. The problem is that some other programs use some strange "units" system instead of real measurements.

In my experience the issue is with Lightwave. In Lightwave, if you want to export your object to real-world scale, you need to scale in up by 100,000%! Whenever I've had anything printed from 3d, this was the scale I needed to use. Lightwave has it's own internal measurement system and does not use the same "units" as other 3d programs.

Paul

See below

This depends, For example if I set max to use real-world scale, then objects imported from LightWave are correct. Same goes for Unity 3D. The problem is that some other programs use some strange "units" system instead of real measurements.

Right! This is correct.

LW is the program using the CORRECT measurement system, as in - Real world measurements. The other applications are using BS arbitrary measurements. It's a long debated topic, unfortunately. The only conclusion I can reach: LW = Real. Others = Arbitrary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I also get this issue when importing OBJ's exported from Blender, I have to upsize like 1000% just to see it

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

When working with 3dcoat voxel units in meters, does anyone experience that objects exported from 3dc become very big in 3d appz like 3dmax or lightwava?

I exported a simple cube in meters and it was 100 times bigger in 3dmax and lightwave.

• Advanced Member

Yeah! It is the same for SoftImage. They seem to be 15 to 20 times bigger. Personally I don't find it a problem with SI., but in blender parts of the model don't show, though they are still there.