3DCoat Forums

low res Voxel

Schnupps

Hello everyone,

just started playing with the demo and I really really love the no-worry-about-topo way to model with voxels.

But things get really slow with big brushes on increased resolution models...

You can make a copy with decreased resolution, but is there a way to work on low-voxy res and get these changes back on the high model?

Like in zb or mb? Working in Surface Mode helps a bit but it still gets slow, and if your model is really high res your Brush size is limited.

I´m pretty sure there is now hidden way, but I thought I ask anyway...

I guess it would be much more difficult to implent due the way voxels work?

Schnupps

• Contributor

Hello everyone,

just started playing with the demo and I really really love the no-worry-about-topo way to model with voxels.

But things get really slow with big brushes on increased resolution models...

You can make a copy with decreased resolution, but is there a way to work on low-voxy res and get these changes back on the high model?

Like in zb or mb? Working in Surface Mode helps a bit but it still gets slow, and if your model is really high res your Brush size is limited.

I´m pretty sure there is now hidden way, but I thought I ask anyway...

I guess it would be much more difficult to implent due the way voxels work?

Schnupps

Welcome to the 3dfrustration boards. What you're asking is logical, but I think this won't get heard if not in feature request, and then, maybe... or not. I'm dreaming.

If you want a streamlined unconvoluted experience with precise tools high detail sculpting and performance, you've picked the wrong one (for now), but if you want some almost useless texturing process, unlogical workflow and uncoherent ui, welcome.

I have had no problem with precision or high detail. True you can not go down in resolution, but I haven't found that it's needed. You just need to use a different workflow and specifically, stop trying to do all of the high res details in geometry, there's no reason to.

• Contributor

So the great Philnolan doesn't have the need for something to do zombie Bruces so I should trade my workflow for something unpractical that require tons more work and involve numerous crash because the software is huge memory hog ?

I think i'm starting to get it there, i hear feet licking sounds in the background, I hate feet licking.

Also i'm expecting some sanction here, not because i'm a bit harsh, more because all kind of people got access to moderation, and they're not the most objective (I have another word in mind but i think my comment is hard enough).

Didn´t wanna start any fights here ;)

But I have to say, that after the first hours of being superexcited I quickly realized that this is not a replacement for zb/mb due to performance/stability yet.

On the other hand, as for workflow and ui I must say that I liked most of what I saw so far. I picked up most of the stuff just by playing around.

In zb I have to consult the manual and tutorials even for the simplest things...

But I think voxel sculping is the future, with 3dcoat or another unreleased app.

For now I think 3d coat is great for doing a fairly detailed basemesh, a bit like extended zspheres, and then continuing detailing in mb.

The texturing seems really nice too, but since I´ve got bodypaint, so there´s no real need here...

As for the low res thingy, I think the need for it is not as crucial as in zb/mb, but it would still be a huge benefit in sculping.

But I rather see performance and stabilty improved than any new features. For me that was the major show killer.

• Reputable Contributor

Phil has helped a large number of people on this forum and has been using 3DCoat for quite some time. He is very aware of 3DCoat's strengths and weak areas. When he finds problems he reports them with a method of recreating the problem. That is the only way a developer can fix them faster.

Beatkitano,please lets not turn the forum into flame wars...

• Advanced Member

I think some of these frustrations underline a need for some clarity on the benefits of working with 3DC as well as it's comparative weaknesses.

New users need workflow analogies - scenarios where 3DC saves time for the creative artist as well as honest appraisals

of workflows where 3DC would not be the best choice.

Most of these frustrations are born from users finding these things out themselves.

The what is from the what it isn't needs to be delineated.

ZBrush too suffered from this in it's early inception with many similar irate outbursts.

Perhaps a pinned thread on such matters would be useful to avoid mud slinging - one that is regularly updated and keeps abreast with 3DC's fast development?