3DCoat Forums

Lagoa Multiphysics

"XSI" is dead, long lives Softimage... ;)

Serious: Yes Lagoa is a toolset for Softimage, and can be used up from Version 7.01. You need ICE for it. Lagoa is based on the open source SPH compound set for Softimage, where fluids can be simulated.

I have already used them in some projects. To work with it feels like a playground. :)

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

"XSI" is dead, long lives Softimage... ;)

Serious: Yes Lagoa is a toolset for Softimage, and can be used up from Version 7.01. You need ICE for it. Lagoa is based on the open source SPH compound set for Softimage, where fluids can be simulated.

I have already used them in some projects. To work with it feels like a playground. :)

Best wishes

Chris

Can you show samples of your work using it? This could be a houdini killer.

Didn't realize it was a softimage thing, thought it was a stand alone product. Oh well.

No problem. It looks cool, and this is the most important. :)

PS: Thank you for softimage advertisement. ;)

• Advanced Member

Ah thanks. I just wanted to see what other people are capable of doing with it in actual production. Many times I see great feature but it takes long to do and not really practical in production. Lw,3dmax,etc showcase lots of tech demo that when users actually try to use them in production, they just suck and get into a lot of headache.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah its all over the net. I saw it at newtek first being core is doing an ice copycat. Hehe.

Wish more studios would use xsi. Its still a 3dmax and maya world.

Hey, looks like they aren't the only ones. Max is heading that direction too, with the multi-stage/release XBR project. Now that Softimage is under the same roof, I would think there will be a good deal of "Cross-Pollination" between the applications (Maya, Max, Softimage). I have been extremely impressed with Softimage ever since they introduced ICE, and then they add Face Robot with the latest version. This is another whopper. :D

Getting back to CORE, though. I do recall Pooby mentioning that in his discussions with the folks at Newtek a good while ago, they were working on this type of nodal structure before ICE was ever released. Houdini was likely the primary reference, I suppose...and if they are going to start from scratch, why try to re-invent the wheel? For what it's worth, you can already get similar functionality in Max, if you don't want to wait for it to be introduced natively:

http://www.ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/max/zookeeper/

Ah thanks. I just wanted to see what other people are capable of doing with it in actual production. Many times I see great feature but it takes long to do and not really practical in production. Lw,3dmax,etc showcase lots of tech demo that when users actually try to use them in production, they just suck and get into a lot of headache.

Under the following link you can see another example for using softimage ICE and the SPH fluids. All 3D parts ware made in softimage. If you like to see the fluids, that are really cool, then just forward the video to 4:00 min., then the fluid stuff begins. There is a making of blog of this project too, that describes some things in detail: http://digitalschweinshaxe.net/blog/jaegermeister_makingof/

Best wishes

Chris