3DCoat Forums

Greg's WIP

Greg

• Contributor

Thanks Garaparape - I didn't really notice that. This morning I tried different shader on the 'stone' and like this one better.

The concept came while looking at the sculpt. I'm trying to leave it to the viewer to decide if he's in pleasure or sad with pain because of a promise made.

That's probably as deep as I get, so I'd better stop there. :D

Thanks for looking. :)

Greg

post-2799-12898342120655_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Cool Doodle, Its funny cos the change in shader really changed the mood. In the Gold shader he seemed to be laughing but with the change he now appears quite angry. so it def' works the way you intended.

Thanks Leigh - I think I like the gold better, maybe because like you say he looks happier. :)

I'm trying to learn to let projects go - I tend to work on them till I dislike them. Trying to get better about that and just saying "that's good enough for what it is".

Starting on a cartoon style rat now. I modeled one in super sculpey years ago and thought he'd be fun. :)

Greg

• Advanced Member

Hi Greg,

Excellent work with the Herman Munster sculpt!well done.

You definately caught the likeness,and I like the paint job you've given him.

I know what you mean about 'letting go' of a piece,especially when you're learning new software like this.

If I start to get bored or frustrated,I move on to a fresh new piece.

It's all part of the learning process - I feel I don't know 3D coat well enough yet to 'finish' any pieces just yet,

I'm sure once I'm more comfortable with all the tools,I'll start seeing them through.

And you can always come back to it at a later date when you've learnt more ,and finish it off.

• Contributor

Hi Greg,

Excellent work with the Herman Munster sculpt!well done.

You definately caught the likeness,and I like the paint job you've given him.

I know what you mean about 'letting go' of a piece,especially when you're learning new software like this.

If I start to get bored or frustrated,I move on to a fresh new piece.

It's all part of the learning process - I feel I don't know 3D coat well enough yet to 'finish' any pieces just yet,

I'm sure once I'm more comfortable with all the tools,I'll start seeing them through.

And you can always come back to it at a later date when you've learnt more ,and finish it off.

Thanks for looking Sandro! I really am trying to say 'enough' and move on! I know if I quit on a piece I may never pick it back up again. :(

But, these last few have been fun, and finished enough for me. :) That's the nice part about doing work for yourself, but also the bad part.

Having to work on some flash today, so maybe back to my rat sculpt later this week. Here he is so far anyhow.

post-2799-1290035623302_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Contributor

Been practicing 2d painting lately. Here's my latest - Don Knotts. You can tell what era I grew up in based on the characters I work on (Herman Munster, Don Knotts) lol. I really want to model him in 3D Coat one day - maybe as Barney Fife with his deputy hat on. I used to paint & airbrush portraits but am pretty inexperienced painting them in Photoshop. Definite learning curve but I'm enjoying it.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share. :)

Greg

post-2799-0-92627100-1302996208_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Nice work, reminds me of traditional acrylic lavish technic :) Only much easier in photoshop (not trying to reduce your talent as this technic shows through your photoshop use ).

(I got a lot of sql error, didn't notice the multiple posting as it only showed the error)

• Contributor

Good likeness, Greg! You might be doing caricatures for the New Yorker. :good:

Thanks Tony. :) My ambition went out the window long ago. I'm happy if my wife likes my drawings though. :D

It's funny - she doesn't draw, but has a great eye for what's wrong with a drawing. That's very helpful when I'm stuck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

I'll get back to posting 3D work here next, but thought someone might get a smile out of my latest Photoshop painting - a crazy horse. :) Twitter followers have already seen this one. :D

post-2799-0-45174500-1303825134_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...
  • Contributor

Here's a rat I created in voxels, retopo & UV map in 3D Coat to give me a character to help learn Messiah and get some more 3D Coat practice. I painted it in ZBrush mainly cause it's easier for me. I sculpted the head months ago but just finally got around to finishing the body. :) I created the cheese in 3D Coat & used autotopo on it.

First animation tests:

Anyhow hope you like it! C&C appreciated.

post-2799-0-64005100-1310235495_thumb.jp

post-2799-0-43501200-1310235567_thumb.jp

post-2799-0-46499100-1310235581_thumb.jp

post-2799-0-13776700-1310236216_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Great start, Greg! I see frustration ahead when he tries to get it through the door. Maybe a partner with a misery-whip (two man saw) will show up. :drinks:

Thanks Tony! The end is a surprise but you may not be far from wrong. :D

• Contributor

I like your horse head. Great expression.

Can't wait to see next mouse video.

Thanks Garagarape! I'm working on tweaking his 'pushing the cheese' video today. I always see something else I don't like. :)

• Contributor

The horse and your other 2D paintings are great, nice work...

I hope to put some time into Messiah myself soon, a good start on the animation...

Thanks Digman! It's been fun learning it so far. Still tweaking, and tweaking. Good practice. :)

• Contributor

Rat's couch. Don't know if he'll sit on it in the animation I'm working on but it's built to scale just in case. Tried to get the fabric about the right weave size for size of the couch (small, rat size). :D Model/UV/Retopo in 3D Coat.

The background is just a stand-in for now but it's not far off the look I'm wanting. :)

Thanks for looking!

post-2799-0-50309500-1310752559_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Reworked the fabric in 3D Coat. I still have some areas I'm not too happy with but wanted to show progress. Thanks for looking. :)

P.S. can anyone tell me how to make my own Strips? Wanted to make a different stitch pattern.

post-2799-0-12254100-1310812633_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Nice work.

Fabrics and especially geometrical patterns with lines etc, are the most difficult. Probably another approach is needed. For instance these fabrics have visible seams in reality.

I use blender UV editor for cases like this. Because I can align vertices on a patterned texture. To do it by hand in 3dc UV editor won't work. After this you can always import it in 3dc and paint dirt layers etc. Strips, probably in Ps.

Hi Greg, a funny little guy you got there :).

Also like your Herman you have captured his likeness so great.

For the strips, maybe something that could work.

Take a 3dapp wich is able to rendering Depthmaps.

Model the stich pattern with geometry, setup a front camera projection, and render a 16bit depthmap out.

This could be used further as an alpha brush in 3dc.

regards

Markus