3DCoat Forums

which version of 3dCoat

jimiclay

I'm running on XP Pro 64, with an Nvid 8800GT Card, 8 Gigs of Ram and Dual 2 Quad Intel Core2 Q8200 processors @ 2.33GHz. My question is, which version of 3D Coat should I install for best performance? When I first installed the 3.5 update, the options were open GL and Direct X, (which is supposed to be faster). I'm pretty sure my computer is too old for the CUDA version, but I'm just asking anyway.

• Contributor

I'm running on XP Pro 64, with an Nvid 8800GT Card, 8 Gigs of Ram and Dual 2 Quad Intel Core2 Q8200 processors @ 2.33GHz. My question is, which version of 3D Coat should I install for best performance? When I first installed the 3.5 update, the options were open GL and Direct X, (which is supposed to be faster). I'm pretty sure my computer is too old for the CUDA version, but I'm just asking anyway.

We have same cpu. :)

I have very old system too.

Your card support Cuda.Just install latest drivers if you havent already.

And Xp64 is better os than Vista/Win7 IMO.

So install 3DC Cuda64 builds and run DX version it should be a little faster but try GL too,you will maybe have a surprise.

ok,

So I got a warning message that says, "(Cuda drivers)has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with this version of Windows. Continuing to install this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system, yada yada yada, we strongly recommend that you stop this install now, and so forth.

Whats up with this?

• Contributor

Thanks, Will do! I'm a bit surprised to hear that Windows 7 isn't really better than XP 64. May I ask why you say this? Would really like to know before I run out and buy Windows 7. thanks

WinXp 64 is the best windows os IMO.

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/windows-xp-vs-vista-vs-7/

Its faster and and less problematic in my experience.

I have vista now and cant revert for many reasons,but when I had Xp 3DCoat felt very strong on it.

• Contributor

ok,

So I got a warning message that says, "(Cuda drivers)has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with this version of Windows. Continuing to install this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system, yada yada yada, we strongly recommend that you stop this install now, and so forth.

Whats up with this?

Try this one.

(but keep old one as backup,of course)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64-258.96-whql-driver.html

Windows 7 is fine, you won't have problems with it when you use 3D Coat or do 3D in general, but xp64 is indeed faster.

I had to do the switch because of Adobe CS5 which refuses to install on xp :(

Good to know. And I can appreciate your situation with XPPro. I couldn't use my install of Vegas when I moved to XP 64, so I got CS4 Suite instead. I preferred Vegas, but I'm not prepared to give up on XP yet. So here I sit.

Windows 7 is fine, you won't have problems with it when you use 3D Coat or do 3D in general, but xp64 is indeed faster.

I had to do the switch because of Adobe CS5 which refuses to install on xp :(

Good to know. And I can appreciate your situation with XPPro. I couldn't use my install of Vegas when I moved to XP 64, so I got CS4 Suite instead. I preferred Vegas, but I'm not prepared to give up on XP yet. So here I sit.

A wise decision! XP is still the strongest, best and fastest Win OS there is. Win7 is alright, but still has it's issues. I hope their next Win OS is rock solid like XP was, or better (which it really better be!).

OK, so now they're asking me where do I want to install the files from the dx9c install. First off, I don't know what these files are, and 2nd, I don't have a clue as to where they should be installed. I'm looking n the manual now, but I don't see anything on this yet.