3DCoat Forums

the best bump

jimiclay

OK guys, u gotta bear with me, cause I'm the dullest knife in the store, no question about it. I thought I could use a displacement map as a bump map, so that I could get the effect I'm looking for. Turns out, it didn't work at all. At least not for me. So I did this bump map in LWave, and as you can see, there's a world of diff between the two dresses. The darker one was done entirely in 3DCoat, and it leaves much to be desired. I did the other one with a simple bump map made in Photoshop.So here's the question, how can I use a displacement map as a bump map in LWave? Or is it even preferable? I just want to get some depth to my models. thanks

post-607-12948976198876_thumb.jpg

Well it's more of a LightWave question, better suited for the NT forum, but first bring your model into Layout then selected it and hit P for Properties. Under the Deform tab you'll find the displacement settings. hit the T button and you can add it the same way as editing a surface in LW. Remember that displacement will need a decent number of polygons or else if your model is subpatched you can increase the Render Subpatch amount in the Geometry tab of that same panel.

Thanks Phil, but I think I may have misled you in my question. I know how to do a displacement map. Thats not what I'm after. What I'm wondering about is, if I can use it as a grayscale map to do bump in the bump channel, just like I would if I made a bump map in photoshop? Isn't a displacement map basically a gray scale image too?

Thanks Phil, but I think I may have misled you in my question. I know how to do a displacement map. Thats not what I'm after. What I'm wondering about is, if I can use it as a grayscale map to do bump in the bump channel, just like I would if I made a bump map in photoshop? Isn't a displacement map basically a gray scale image too?

For Lightwave, I've been using normal maps generated from 3D coat. They work well as a bump map type shading

• Reputable Contributor

You add me laughing there jimiclay, dullest knife in the store. :D

Got a few questions for you.

How are merging from the retopo room? using PPP or MV or Ptex?

Are you just importing your lightwave model into the paint room and what method do you use...

How are you exporting your displacement map, there are a few ways in 3DCoat to do it.

I use displacement maps from 3DCoat sometimes in just the "bump channel" in Carrara and have no problems.

I do have version 8 of lightwave so if I know your method, maybe I can reproduce it and then we can see were the problem lies.

Hey guys,

Sorry its taken me so long to respond to your replies. I had to do a thing at the hospital with my oldest son. Anyway,

Digman, I'm really new to normal maps and lightwave. That's pitiful since I've been a waver for years now, but I just never bothered to get my feet wet. I'll redo a model, and track my steps as I go, so I can tell you what I did. And btw, I have a question. Doesn't 3DC have a brush that is similar to the lazy brush in ZBrush? I know I've seen it used in some video, but when I read the manual, I don't see it, or anything like it.

The normal maps in LightWave are very simple to apply, just open the node editor in Surfaces, in the drop down box pick Add Node > 2D Texture > Normal Map. Double click the node and add the normal map like any normal texture, then connect the blue dot to the Normal dot on the output node and you're done. Just make sure the Nodes checkbox is checked on the Surface Editor.

As for the lazy brush you may find it in the manual under Soft Stroke. For some reason it was renamed to "Interpolate" a few versions back. It's along the top of the program towards the left side.

The normal maps in LightWave are very simple to apply, just open the node editor in Surfaces, in the drop down box pick Add Node > 2D Texture > Normal Map. Double click the node and add the normal map like any normal texture, then connect the blue dot to the Normal dot on the output node and you're done. Just make sure the Nodes checkbox is checked on the Surface Editor.

As for the lazy brush you may find it in the manual under Soft Stroke. For some reason it was renamed to "Interpolate" a few versions back. It's along the top of the program towards the left side.

Thanks Phil, I see it and I've tried it, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. My brush strokes are the same as before. Does it do what the lazy brush does, or is it somehow different?

Well, the race goes not to the swift, but to the steady. Here is what I've been trying to do for the last week. I think this is ok, it could use some more work, but its a low poly model that won't be too close to the camera. I can live with this till times get better. I really wanna thank all you guys for your generosity and graciousness, it is truly appreciated.

post-607-12950474564178_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

nice reading

any advice workflow to make a good bump map for Blender ?

Export a displacement map is enough or i need to do some tweaks ?

basically i need to add wrinkles and details of woven fabric, over a T-Shirt model made outside 3DC

ty in advance :)

• Reputable Contributor

I could not tell you if this is the best bump but is one way:

Import the T-shirt as PPP.

Add your wrinkles and fabric.

Now even though you are in PPP mode you can export those surface details as a displacement map which can be used as a bump map...

The quality of your displacement surface details could be higher since you are in PPP mode vs MV mode.

It's worth a test...

• 4 months later...

TY digman

I have a HPoly mesh with sculpted details

And a LPoly where to bake the details

I dont need normal or displacement map but bump map showing the HP sculpted details over the LP.

bake with nm give me good result

bake with mv is a mess

in an external app...

must i use the NM like bump map

or any otherwalkthrough is needed ?

ty in advance :)