3DCoat Forums

Freezing in voxel mode

grayOlorin

• Advanced Member

Agreed this would be pretty nice (don't know if it's possible though), so.... reported to mantis as feature request.

As I understood it - that is not possible strictly by using Voxels. The same is true for Painting.

That said: Freezing is so terribly essential - it really should be possible in all stages of the Sculpting-Process.

That's why I wished that Development changed direction.

I believe Voxel-Room and Surface(Mesh) Room at some Point should get merged back together to just one single Workspace.

Single tools then automatically switched to the most appropriate=powerful Paradigm (with maybe some Expert-Overrides as configurable Presets where they might make sense).

If LiveClay and Voxels formed a perfect synthesis I believe one could not only Freeze at any point in time but even use textures and start Painting onto the HiRes Mesh while still sculpting.

I imagine that some pure Voxel Tools would remain which can't display Textures instead had to display a generic Shader. But would this really matter?

• Contributor

As I understood it - that is not possible strictly by using Voxels. The same is true for Painting.

That said: Freezing is so terribly essential - it really should be possible in all stages of the Sculpting-Process.

That's why I wished that Development changed direction.

I believe Voxel-Room and Surface(Mesh) Room at some Point should get merged back together to just one single Workspace.

Single tools then automatically switched to the most appropriate=powerful Paradigm (with maybe some Expert-Overrides as configurable Presets where they might make sense).

If LiveClay and Voxels formed a perfect synthesis I believe one could not only Freeze at any point in time but even use textures and start Painting onto the HiRes Mesh while still sculpting.

I imagine that some pure Voxel Tools would remain which can't display Textures instead had to display a generic Shader. But would this really matter?

Actually as it works right now, I don't understand why Andrew can't "emulate" a freeze in voxel mode. What could be done is automaticaly switch to surface on tool selection, use surface freeze then as soon as the selection is done save the selected verts, switch to voxel and lock the corresponding voxel cloud points. Of course reselecting the tool would allow unlocking too.

When you're moving parts of voxels the cloud point changes, but only the parts affected by move tools, is it impossible to make that happen with a freeze mask from surface mode ?

Just a thought, and very theoretical thinking here, maybe it's much more complex than that (and certainly is =).

• Advanced Member

Actually as it works right now, I don't understand why Andrew can't "emulate" a freeze in voxel mode. What could be done is automaticaly switch to surface on tool selection, use surface freeze then as soon as the selection is done save the selected verts, switch to voxel and lock the corresponding voxel cloud points. Of course reselecting the tool would allow unlocking too.

When you're moving parts of voxels the cloud point changes, but only the parts affected by move tools, is it impossible to make that happen with a freeze mask from surface mode ?

Just a thought, and very theoretical thinking here, maybe it's much more complex than that (and certainly is =).

Yeah, that goes into the direction I was thinking of. What we as Non-Programmers think of is probably just stupid cheats and hacks, but such might already help greatly for uninterrupted User-Experience.

I also thought if the Voxel Copy-Tool (this one really should get renamed as well!) could get transformed into a Freeze Tool.

• Contributor

I also thought if the Voxel Copy-Tool (this one really should get renamed as well!) could get transformed into a Freeze Tool.

Hey, that may be a waaay better starting point indeed, didn't thought of that one, and yeah could probably be the best route.

• Advanced Member

Hey, that may be a waaay better starting point indeed, didn't thought of that one, and yeah could probably be the best route.

Yeah, the longer I think about this, the more sense it makes to me.

This tool could select everything under the pen and even dig into the Material according to Brush-Depth-Settings.

I figure that this could make workflows possible which are not possible in Mesh-Freezing.

Just imagine that one could use Geometry on Pen (like in Merge) to use this 3D-Freeze-Tool..

Frozen stuff could get rendered exactly as it is the Case in Surface-Freezing.

To be honest, I haven't been too impressed with voxels past initial shapes. It seems much slower than surface mode and I can't get very good details in voxel mode. Hopefully there is something in the works to make voxel mode useful for details. Additionally, why in the world do I lose massive amounts of detail when I switch back to voxels from surface. It seems to be a one way street...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

To be honest, I haven't been too impressed with voxels past initial shapes. It seems much slower than surface mode and I can't get very good details in voxel mode. Hopefully there is something in the works to make voxel mode useful for details. Additionally, why in the world do I lose massive amounts of detail when I switch back to voxels from surface. It seems to be a one way street...

I guess it depends on your system. I don't notice a massive speed difference myself. I start with low resolutions and work my way up as I need more detail, and I get lots of detail and good performance from Voxel Volume mode. As for losing details, Volume mode is smoother than Surface and that's why I like working in it most of the time. Surface gets too jagged and pinched up sometimes. I don't have those problems in Volume mode. I also don't notice any significant loss in detail, if any, unless you are working with LiveClay...and it's only there to test, pretty much. Andrew is supposedly working on Subcells in Voxels that allow you to keep any detail you get from LiveClay, as well as use it in the same manner as you would LiveClay, in Surface Mode.

I think you'll start to see more develop on that front when Raul moves from Cuba to Kiev, Ukrane (next month I believe), to join the Pilgway staff there. Hard for them to collaborate effectively when Raul doesn't even have Hi-Speed internet (needed to send heavy files, naturally).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...