3DCoat Forums

Mudbox Gigatexel Engine

ghib

• Advanced Member

It looks like Mudbox has beaten 3DCoat to the Sandbox Tiling Engine idea. 2 years later :)

Goto 10:30

Shame really, but I still reckon that 3DC voxels and some kindof Tiling Engine would do a much better job. Especially if it could tile multiple subtools easily.

Tiling sculpted geometry has been my dream for the last 2 years. In the meantime I've helped ship 2 games but my life would have been made so much easier if there had been a better method for creating decent tiling normal maps.

I hate sounding like a stuck record but I see 3DC as being the only tool that could do this really well given it's brilliant boolean nature of Voxels.

• Reputable Contributor

It looks like Mudbox has beaten 3DCoat to the Sandbox Tiling Engine idea. 2 years later :)

Goto 10:30

Shame really, but I still reckon that 3DC voxels and some kindof Tiling Engine would do a much better job. Especially if it could tile multiple subtools easily.

Tiling sculpted geometry has been my dream for the last 2 years. In the meantime I've helped ship 2 games but my life would have been made so much easier if there had been a better method for creating decent tiling normal maps.

I hate sounding like a stuck record but I see 3DC as being the only tool that could do this really well given it's brilliant boolean nature of Voxels.

It looks like Mudbox developers are taking Mari seriously. Maybe Andrew should too.

• Advanced Member

It looks like Mudbox developers are taking Mari seriously. Maybe Andrew should too.

It looks like it. I might have to look at mudbox myself. The painting speed looks amazing. The main purpose for 3dcoat for me was the painting and sculpting, like the traditional zbrush way that I can easily use with other 3d appz but without the higher learning curve of zbrush GUI. Sadly the focus is on voxels, a one way workflow good for concept art or flexible projects. The sculpting room is terribly outdated.

Mudbox seems to offer zbrush performance with 3dcoat ease of use.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know exactly what you're referring to Phil, but a lot of the stuff in that video isn't in 3DC at all.

The auto tiling of materials/masks is there, but shouldn't be the only feature, we should be able to turn that off (like Mudbox). And PTEX.

What I'd really like to see, is the angle culling like in Mudbox. Now that's a sweet feature.

I don't know exactly what you're referring to Phil, but a lot of the stuff in that video isn't in 3DC at all.

I'm referring to the part that this thread is about. In per-pixel painting there is a flat plane with a grid on it, when you paint in one section of the grid it gets copied in the other sectiosn, just like the video.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/2xZxSphSN

• Reputable Contributor

I still think 3D Coat's texture painting toolset is top-shelf and got a lot faster when Andrew did all the Multi-threaded work, but it appears Mari and Mudbox have taken things to another level, performance-wise.

We STILL don't have a true Ambient Occlusion solution, and filling layers with the Fill Tool is still slow as molasses. I'm sure there are other things that other users have found irritating, but yeah...the Painting toolset needs some attention, too.

I'm referring to the part that this thread is about. In per-pixel painting there is a flat plane with a grid on it, when you paint in one section of the grid it gets copied in the other sectiosn, just like the video.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/2xZxSphSN

Funny, because the title I read said something about the Gigatexel engine in general, and not a single feature of it.