3DCoat Forums

Bela's sculpts - learning 3d coat

BYS

Hi there!

As I'm new to 3d coat I'm looking for some Input on how to get better at modeling.

Today I began working on this Firefly. My first creature! Eventually I want to create a low poly model (around 50-100 tris) export it to the UDK and use it as a mesh emitter, lets see if I can get that to work :)

kL9jV.png

9Lqfp.png

Z16hx.png

I'm not quite sure if I should subdivide more and add some more details now or add them later inside paint room...

• Like 4

• Contributor

Fine project! Your question is a hard one. You could certainly get harder edges for the wings in surface mode using the new tools and maybe segment the legs more. Creases could be much sharper. Surface mode allows local detail where global detail would be too much.

• Like 1

Thanks Spincycle and welchrs64! Tony, I wasn't even aware of the surface tools! Just watched a tutorial by Javis and it seems perfect for defining some hard edges. The more you know... I made some tests exporting the highpoly mesh to meshlab and using its awesome poly crunching plugins to bring it down to 1000 tris, Then uv mapped it in 3d coat and baked the normal and occlusion maps in xNormal. Works quite well, but I need to improve on my uv mapping skills.

But first I've gotta learn those surface tools!

Thanks again!

How can I edit my last post?

I tried the Surface Tools and they're really awsome. I crunched my 5M+ poly model(way too much) to 3000 tris and started painting it:

3v6O0.png

I'm aware that poor bug is not perfect but I learned quite a lot modeling it.

Next time I'm modelling a creature I want to do something simpler. Less legs, less antennas. Maybe a worm.

Edit:

Finished the paintjob and exported to UDK.

mpFad.png

• 1 month later...

Finally got some spare time to sculpt again. I'm sculpting a fantasy sword a thing I always wanted to do! started with the handle, basic blade with fuller (not that wight matters for a fantasy blade ^_^ ) and a guard.

DfLn6sz.png

• Contributor

About the firefly. I think it would look much better if you posed it properly, because as for now, it looks like its pose forms a straight horizontal line. Take a look at this photo: http://aggie-horticu...htning_bug.jpg. Note how the back of the firefly is almost touching the plank. See how its body forms a nice curve? Also, the wings are a little tiny bit too short, the head too big and the limbs too thick, but it's nothing that you can't easily correct in 3D Coat either by subtracting the volume (limbs), moving parts of the volume or by using the Pose tool.

Also, it looks like you have sculpted the bug from a single volume. If I may make another advice, I really would suggest to keep parts such as:

- head,

- wings,

- abdomen,

- chitin armour,

- each one of the limbs (I'd also separate each limb into five parts)

a separate voxel layers unless you need a continuous surface. It's simply easier to control and alter separate volumes than a single one. Then I'd make last adjustments to bug's pose, scale of specific elements, transformation, etc. and after that I'd just convert volumes, requiring more details, into surfaces and sculpt them even more with LiveClay.

Anyway, it's a very, very nice start, especially the bottom side of the insect! Good show! :drinks:

And I hope you won't hate me for this little bit of criticism. :wub:

Thanks ajz3d! Why would I hate you for that? It's exactly the kind of constructive criticism I was looking for :) . Yeah I noticed the pose too but rather too late. I should really read up on scene/layer management.