3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Just a question, what does this means?

5) Snapping to existing mesh and correct growing of the mesh

Does it means that you can import an existing topology and fit it to an other high rez mesh? If that's it, I didn't find how it works.

And other suggestion about the topology tools.

The smooth Lines is great but you should add and iteration setting, the higher it is the harder the line is smoothed.

Because right now if I want to smooth my curve to get it nearly straight I have to hit the button many times.

An other tools who could be really fine is a spaceloop tools, like Polyboost have, it help you to get a clean and even mesh quickly instead of tweaking every edge one by one.

Here is a little gif taken from polyboost website to show you what it does:

SpaceLoop.gif

You take an edgering from which you want to arrange the spacing of the loops and you execute "SpaceLoop" than you got an even spacing of edgeloop.

I hope it's clear :lol:

It can really fasten the optimization of a mesh.

But I don't know if it is copyrighted or not.

I know that Nex is a plug in similar to Polyboost for maya, but don't know if they got the same thing.

And other thing that would be cool is the ability to create group of polygons, that is really helpfull especially when doing topology.

Be able to hide these group like the feature, hide by connected area (double clic the mesh) could be great.

P.S: I found that hiding with the lasso tool was really slow, it take 1-2s to hide the selected area.

I have updated the links. Draw with srokes was essentially improved.

1) Drawing slices see there

2) You can join several closed curves with single stroke and create cylinder

3) Moving control points

4) Auto making splines

5) Snapping to existing mesh and correct growing of the mesh

6) Moving spline control points

7) Deleting whole curves

8) Smoothing curves

9) Prolonging splines with CTRL

10) I don't remember what else... maybe new bugs :)

Thanks for testing

"2) You can join several closed curves with single stroke and create cylinder"

I try the lines like the demo but I like to know what to do after create lines, enter? cause it makes just the poligons, not the cilinder. Thanks!

• Advanced Member

I did some tests with the new strokes tool, and i can't make it work.

I draw some strokes, and almost no faces are created.

You can see what i mean on the attached pic

post-476-1214544959_thumb.jpg

Ok, I will try to discover. I also see some bugs...

But slices & cylinders work fine on my side... Anyway I see bugs and it should be fixed immediately.

Yesterday was not easy day - electricity was off for some time, internet provider also was working very badly, several urgent tasks...

Seems to be working perfectly here. Not to gloat or anything.

Here's a new bug though. Select the Draw Strokes tool and navigate around with the Navi, you get soemthing like my second attachment. It's kind of fun actually, something like playing with a can of silly string. Not very productive though :lol:

BTW a few little spelling errors in the retopo tool,

Add polygones should be Add Polygons

Delete Polygones "" Delete Polygons

Delete Edes "" Delete Edges

post-466-1214548427_thumb.jpg

post-466-1214549692_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Andrew,I believe most of people like to draw a splines by click step by step,not draging the mouse, because click step by step can making more exact splines and feel more easy to control.So the draw stroke tool should be maked to draw a splines by click step by step by default. ctrl+click to make a splines seems a bit discomfort especially when navigating.

Andrew,I believe most of people like to draw a splines by click step by step,not draging the mouse, because click step by step can making more exact splines and feel more easy to control.So the draw stroke tool should be maked to draw a splines by click step by step by default. ctrl+click to make a splines seems a bit discomfort especially when navigating.

How to end spline? doubleclik?

• Advanced Member

Same problem for me but only in GL mode, it works fine in DX mode.

• Advanced Member
Same problem for me but only in GL mode, it works fine in DX mode.

Here the same

In openGl there are also some flickers along the drawn curves, and yes, no faces are generated.

I also wish to know if there is a way to close already drawn opened curves.

When I continue to draw a curve, point samples are a lot more

And now, 3 requests:

1) I wish to cancel selected curve with a shortcut.

2) Is it possible to resample curves ?

3) The cilinder method is very cute! Could you add also V curves instead only U ?

Guest Lottmedia

ok, now that I have a version working, where are the tuts on retopo because I'm really lost on it. Everyone seems to be talking about it like it's the best thing in the world and they all know everythign ablout it already and I'm starting to feel like odd girl out :(

Casey

ok, now that I have a version working, where are the tuts on retopo because I'm really lost on it. Everyone seems to be talking about it like it's the best thing in the world and they all know everythign ablout it already and I'm starting to feel like odd girl out :(

Casey

:) Tuts will be done when retopo will come to release :)

I didn't have too much trouble figuring it out.

Add Polygons: Simply click to create the vertices of the polygon.

Add Quads: Click an edge, then click twice to create the rest. i prefer the Direct method (In the drop down box) where you click an edge, then click either once more or click another edge (it snaps) Esc drops the tool

Delete polygons: Click each polygon to delete

Delete Edges: Deletes an edge, merging the polygons on either side.

Collapse edges: Click an edge and it will merge the points from either end of that edge.

Split Edge Rings: Pretty much shows you what it's going to do, point at an edge and it will create a loop that crosses through that edge

Tweak Vertices: Allows you to click and drag to move vertices around, along with the other options that appear as check boxes.

Slide edges: Allows you to move an edge along the surface in the direction of it's ring.

Tweak With brush: Similar to the Magnet tool in LightWave if you know it. It allows you to drag vertices with fall off. The brush size controls the amount of fall off.

Draw Strokes: Lets you draw a grid however you like, the boxes of your grid will become polygons when you hit Enter. Hold Ctrl and you can click to create specific points of the spline. For cylindrical shape see my attached tutorial.

I haven't tried the rest, if anyone sees a mistake feel free to correct me.

BTW Casey I see you're in NY, I'm just 1.5 hours away, just north of Philly.

Edit: Here I made a quick video showing all of the above

http://screencast.com/t/bbtbA4snaF (Sorry I ran out of Jing bandwidth on the first day I joined :o )

post-466-1214582743_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

It depend, when you are drawing a line it's better to "drag" your mouse like you were drawing, but it can be nice to have an other mode of creation like you said.

But you should got both of them a step by step mode and a drawing mode.

With the slice tool I find that drawing the spline fit fine for this purpose.

I have uploaded both link. Changes:

1) Bugs in stroke mode fixed (both GL/DX)

2) Symmetry mode works now. It is slightly like mirror modificator in Max. Snapping vertices near symmetry-plane is done (in non-destructive way).

3) Possibility to merge extruded mesh into scene (very useful for cloth)

4) Better algoritm for biasing and clipping back/fore polygones - now retopo tool looks better - see Bias slider

5) You can join with strokes vertices of already retopologised mesh and grow it in so way

6) Merge into scene works much better

• Advanced Member

Bug Report:

Sometimes when I hide a part of the mesh to concentrate on an other and use the drawStroke tool, the newly created mesh is hidden when you hit Enter.

And some suggestion about topology tools:

-It would be cool to have a polystrip tool to be able to draw strip of polygon instead of creating each new polygon by clicking 4 times for each corner, by the way this tool should create only quad, polyboost (again) got a similar tool. (In polyboot you have to choose the width of the edgering, like that you can start from scratch a new strip)

PolyStrips.gif

-Adding some typical edgeloop pattern creation would greatly help, once again Polyboost got similar tools:

-A build Corner

BC.gif

and Build End Loop tool

BE.gif

-A paint edgeloop tool that can automatically create correct corner topology (be able to enable or disable this function).

This gif show you a paint edgeloop tool (called paintconnect) but without the automatic corner topology

PC.gif

-ToolAddPolygon allow you to cut edges, but you should be able to cut through several edges without having to clic on each edge. If you want to cut 4 edges at once you should have to clic on the first and the last and it should cut all the edges.

For the moment if you do that it doesn't work.

I think that's all :)

Freeze problems, DX version:

I paint on a model (any model) and hit Invert Freeze. ironically the whole program freezes up. When it eventually comes back the whole model has turned black. Brushing across it gradually reveals the model with the inverted freeze like I wanted.

post-466-1214620378_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I will be away until evening of monday (it is possible that I will come back sooner). I will be in country. Notebook will be with me, so development will go on. I will be offline (no internet connection there). Please help if someone fill ask something in support forum.

Thank to all of you!

Andrew,just go out and have a good time!

I am sorry,I wonder why you don't add merge vertex tool to retopo?it is very necessarily and I think it is very easy for you to do that!