3DCoat Forums

Holes in mesh, please help

another666

Hello

I have been playing with 3Dcoat all day trying to retopologise a Zbrush model, My problem is that 90% (if not more) of the time after it has finished there are issues with the mesh. Sometimes there are holes in it, sometimes there are areas that can not be painted on, sometimes the program just crashes out.

Is there a way to fix holes in meshes ? I tries to send the mesh to zbrush to fix the holes but once in Zbrush the mesh is a mess after Zbrush converts it to a mesh it likes .

Its been a very frustrating day.

Thank you far any help

I am using Bata 12 version

Hi

If you have open meshes this problem may appear again randomly. So you may press Make closed in import panel.

You should import ot as surface, merge to separate volumes = ON

With next build this problem will be resolved

• Reputable Contributor

Hi

Thank you for you help

I am importing for voxelization, I do not see any options like the ones you suggest

At the bottom of the tool options panel, when merging mesh into Voxel Room, you will see a button "Make Mesh Closed." You can also use the CLOSE HOLES tool in the LiveClay toolset. In PAINT HOLES, you have and option to re-mesh selection, when you click APPLY. It does basically what "Close Holes" does...only taking an extra step or two, to get the same result

Thank you ..

I have moved back to ver 3,7 and all works fine, The issues I was having have all gone... I have done more in the last 30 mins than I have all day, thinking I was doing something wrong. It looks like the new beta version is a bit flaky on my computer..

Thank you for the screen shot ..

• Contributor

I have been playing with 3Dcoat all day trying to retopologise a Zbrush model, My problem is that 90% (if not more) of the time after it has finishedthere are issues with the mesh. Sometimes there are holes in it, sometimes there are areas that can not be painted on, sometimes the program just crashes out.

Hello Another666, could you elaborate what do you mean by saying "it"? Do you mean some kind of automation - a process not dependant on the user? Like AUTOPO or automated normal baking?

If it's the latter and you can see the viewport background through the holes, then the most likely cause is baking parameters set to wrong values (holes caused by unwanted texture transparency in layer 0 and baked normal map - the result of raycast rays stopping to early. I've seen this happen a couple of times).

I tries to send the mesh to zbrush to fix the holes but once in Zbrush the mesh is a mess after Zbrush converts it to a mesh it likes .

Hmm... so perhaps it's not the texture transparency problem after all. Could you post a screenshot of those holes? In what 3D Coat Room do they appear? This would help a lot.

I have done more in the last 30 mins than I have all day, thinking I was doing something wrong. It looks like the new beta version is a bit flaky on my computer..

I know this pain, man. :(