3DCoat Forums

Seperate Persistent Camera View Backgrounds/Materials

wailingmonkey

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

I wonder if you might consider implementing seperate camera view

background image (material) capability for use when sculpting from reference

images (I'm thinking humans mainly, but it would be helpful overall for

pretty much any subject which one had resource images from multiple angles)?

I'm posting an image showing how Silo does it, but it's basically how you've

currently got manipulation for materials, only the user would be able to assign

a unique image to camera views such as 'Left' 'Right' 'Top' 'Front', etc. (I'm not

suggesting you add the ability to have 4 windows, I think it would be just fine

to toggle thru the hotkeys for each camera view ;) ). I'd imagine this would

be handy for volumetric sculpters as well as transferring texture info to the

model in a somewhat consistent fashion. :)

Thanks for considering it.

seperate_camera_backgrounds.jpg

*edit* bold to highlight what I'm not requesting :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Just bumping this back into view (in case my thread heading is a little strange).

Perhaps people aren't using the sculpting tools for accurate models yet (I imagine this

will change when voxel tools begin progressing to production-level), but I'd like to

re-iterate the utility of being able to sculpt from orthographic reference 'materials' (reference

textures) that can be assigned to each camera view (hit '4' on numpad and get 'Left'

assigned camera reference image, hit '6' and get 'Right' assigned camera reference image, etc.).

I'd imagine this would work exactly like you have current material planes working now, but just

allowing for unique reference images per camera view (or 'shortcut').

Hope you can consider implementing it as it makes matching models to concept drawings or

photographs much less of a guessing game!

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily a quad view, just getting different backgrounds for the different camera angles / views. I'm not sure the interface of the program works like that though. It seems to me that there is basically one camera, an the different views are simply preset locations for that camera. Just like how the target icon sends it back to the default location. So the way I see to implement this is multiple cameras and they each only move left, right, up, down, and zoom. What would be really nice, but harder to implement I think, is like LightWave, where the cameras are connected. So if I'm in the Front view and move the camera up, then switch to the Right view and see that has also moved up.

• Advanced Member
Are you suggesting regular, normal, common place , 3D multi-view layouts?

Hi Brian,

nope...currently we have these options for camera views:

camera-views.jpg

all I want is a way to maximize that functionality by being able to assign a reference

image to each view ... so I can accurately sculpt from reference images (without having

to change materials for each camera and fiddle with scale/rotation/translation as is the

current 'workaround' that I would have to do now if I wanted to sculpt from references)

I should probably swap out that image, but I've clarified my request on multiple occasions

now.... <shrugs>

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Just bumping this to inquire about progress on allowing reference images for version 3.0.

I'm trying some workflow variations with body parts and Vox tree layers and adding the

ability to reference character proportions would really help with the sculpting of each 'part'

as it makes up the whole body shape.

cheers. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

With the addition of background image capability (in alpha80) I'm really hoping you're

working on the addition of allowing seperate background images per camera view.

(just a gentle bump of the topic so we can paint and sculpt in voxels with image references) :declare::ph34r: