3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Hehe, that's funny to me since I just finished watching the latest episode of house (doctor TV show).

Here's the objects. I also included a couple of chain links that I made. I expected to get something close to a nice chain with curve, but instead it looks like the link objects are just all mashed together.

Try these. I had to reduce the scale of the objects considerable amount and export using that export in local coordinate option in carrara

parts.zip

post-488-1222870241_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Really, scale was improper. I have attached objects. They should be tiled with step 1m

Splines.zip

oops you beat me by 1 minute :rolleyes:

Could you explain in more detail the process because the scale thing can vary so greatly between programs. To get these to work using carrara I had to do alot of guess work in the scaling process.

oops you beat me by 1 minute :rolleyes:

Could you explain in more detail the process because the scale thing can vary so greatly between programs. To get these to work using carrara I had to do alot of guess work in the scaling process.

What units do you use in Carrara/LW ? Need to use meters. Step should be 1 M. I am using Wings3D.

• Advanced Member
What units do you use in Carrara/LW ? Need to use meters. Step should be 1 M. I am using Wings3D.

Currently im using feet but can switch to meters. Now one "step" does that mean the whole object should equal 1 meter in size? or is a step one tile?

I dont get it - nearly always the first save in a session works - but subsequent saves can not be loaded intact and just revert to the stock sphere. The file sizes do seem to be going up though which is odd.

I don't know if it is after using a particular tool, it doesn't seam to be a particular file size.

Here are the last working and first non working versions of 2 objects.

spheroid.zip

happy.zip

Also I have noticed that the voxel objects attached compress as much as 95% using zip - would it be possible for you to have a compression/decompression option for saving files to minimize their size on disk?

3DBob

• Advanced Member

@3dbob

I downloaded your models and tried them. For both models the second version gives me a sphere just like you said.

I then tried several things with a model of my own. Saving it with a new name, saving it incrementally. I tried saving it while its in "mesh sculpting mode" like flatten or pinch. Working in the DX version and the GL version. I cant make it brake on my side. It always saves and loads properly. :huh:

Do you run a demo version by any chance? Maybe thats what makes it act a little weird. Other then that i have no idea, i cant make it not save over here. Sorry i cant help. :mellow:

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Your welcome. Ive played very little with the curve tools. Dont think i have used them in any of the work i found worth saving though. You thinks curves are connected to the saving problem? :blink: That would be weird if that would be the case :D

3dioot

I dont get it - nearly always the first save in a session works - but subsequent saves can not be loaded intact and just revert to the stock sphere. The file sizes do seem to be going up though which is odd.

I don't know if it is after using a particular tool, it doesn't seam to be a particular file size.

Here are the last working and first non working versions of 2 objects.

spheroid.zip

happy.zip

Also I have noticed that the voxel objects attached compress as much as 95% using zip - would it be possible for you to have a compression/decompression option for saving files to minimize their size on disk?

3DBob

Ok, I see problem. Tomorrow I will heal it. Need now finish my day.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

Can you change the name of one tool? Change "Shift" to "Smudge" or "Smear" it makes more sense for Photoshop/Mudbox/Zbrush users. Also spelling error, "Flattern" should be "Flatten".

A,

I think there must be a memory leak. I have had several occasions when this alpha has locked my machine totally so that I can't even CTRL>ALT>DEL - and have had to do a hard reset.

I have had a a few occasions when using the curve tool with a number of branch nodes in symmetry that the machine display creates a load of red fractured mess.

I am only using the DX version

and I have a Radion card on an 8 penrin core box.

3DBob

• Advanced Member
A,

I think there must be a memory leak. I have had several occasions when this alpha has locked my machine totally so that I can't even CTRL>ALT>DEL - and have had to do a hard reset.

3DBob

Not related but, I had a strange problem with past alpha where 3DC would lock up my computer, the screen would go black and my monitor power icon would blink. I had to turn off the power on PSU.

downloading alpha 19 now! thanks Andrew.

• Advanced Member

Fantastic Andrew!

I cant properly test it because i left my tablet pen at work (i own one myself but im using it at work untill the one they ordered comes in) but as far as i can go with a mouse its fantastic. The way you can stamp shapes on out of nothing with the alphas is.. well.. its fantastic. Its so smooth. Its unlike anything zbrush or mudbox can produce. :D Seriously, voxel sculpting is a thing on its own. Your the man. Voxel pinch looks great too but i cant really test it with a mouse. Im very happy it got made though and once i have my tablet back (or remember not to forget my pen at work) ill give it a good run for its money to see how it feels.

I noticed fallof also seems to work although not in the exact way i imagined it. :huh: For now it doesnt give me the blended edge on my brushstroke i was hoping for; maybe that requires a bit more testing/playing on my side.

Overall im very excited and happy though. This is definately going in the right direction. :)

3dioot

PS

One thing i did notice is that fast strokes (still) loose their fluidity. Smooth bends in the stroke become angular.

• Advanced Member

I spent some time after work doodling with the latest buid.

The tools are getting better each time. They still need a lot of improvement, but the new pinch/expand tool is perfect for me.

i noticed that the clay brush flicker when i use it, and found a bug with the move brush :

i moved a large part of my model, and the brush leaved a pile of cubes behind.

post-476-1222890685_thumb.jpg

post-476-1222890696_thumb.jpg

the new tools are great! nice work Andrew.

with all these new tools, and more to come, it's really getting to the point that we need a brush preset manager. I would love to see a floating toolbar that you can save presets to, much like brush presets in photoshop.

along the same lines... I've been wondering, what would it take to get "Tool ID" working with multiple wacom pens? it would be pretty cool if you had more than one pen and each one remembered which brush preset was used on it last. Painter does this and it's pretty handy. when sculpting with real clay this is usually how I work too, I usually really only use about 2 different tools and just switch back and forth between them.

*edit* doh! looks like presets already exist :blush: they just need to take which tool is being used into account. guess I need to take some time and learn the rest of the software.

• Contributor
I spent some time after work doodling with the latest buid.

The tools are getting better each time. They still need a lot of improvement, but the new pinch/expand tool is perfect for me.

i noticed that the clay brush flicker when i use it, and found a bug with the move brush :

i moved a large part of my model, and the brush leaved a pile of cubes behind.

Ya that's bugs been there for awhile moving in smaller increments helps.

Andrew when I zoom in really close to sculpt 3d coat locks up until I press ctrl alt del.Been happening since first alpha just thought I should let you know.

P.S Watch out for a spammer posting in the forums.Links may contain virus.

• Advanced Member
A,

I have had a a few occasions when using the curve tool with a number of branch nodes in symmetry that the machine display creates a load of red fractured mess.

I am only using the DX version

and I have a Radion card on an 8 penrin core box.

3DBob

Which Radeon/Dirver are you using?

I had similar issue when using Catalyst 8.4 with my Radeon 3870 at work, and everything went better after updated to Catalyst 8.10beta.

hope this helps.

• Advanced Member

Andrew i spotted an error in the carve tool regarding the depth sampling. I hope i have some time tomorrow to explain it. I had it behave strange before but now i have it nailed and can replicate it (and i think i have a theory on how to avoid it also).

Also your forum is really badly spammed right now. You should enable some stricter registering methods. Use confirmation codes that are a written image and a confirmation email send to the users email with a link to a page to enable their account. If not you wont get rid of this crap im afraid. :(

3dioot