3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Whatever you chose as foreground/background colors will affect the shader, so everyone of us has his owm red err green, err blue err yellow wax shader depending on the colors he uses...

Will the shaders get a color on their own in the future, so painting a bit with blue won't mess up your green sculpting shader?

mike

• Advanced Member
Whatever you chose as foreground/background colors will affect the shader, so everyone of us has his owm red err green, err blue err yellow wax shader depending on the colors he uses...

Will the shaders get a color on their own in the future, so painting a bit with blue won't mess up your green sculpting shader?

mike

good idea

• Advanced Member
try that:

float4 main( const VS_OUTPUT In ) : COLOR {
	float4 ci = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv);
	float3 d=float3(1.0,1.0/255.0,1.0/255.0/255.0);
	float vi=dot(ci.rgb,d);
	float d1=du/vi/2;	
	float d2=dv/vi/2;
	float4 c0 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv-float2(d1,0));
	float4 c1 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv+float2(d1,0));
	float4 c2 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv-float2(0,d2));
	float4 c3 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv+float2(0,d2));	

float vv0=dot(c0.rgb,d);
	float vv1=dot(c1.rgb,d);
	float vv2=dot(c2.rgb,d);
	float vv3=dot(c3.rgb,d);

float va=vv0+vv1+vv2+vv3;
	d1*=0.8;
	d2*=0.8;

c0 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv-float2(d1,-d2));
	c1 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv+float2(d1,d2));
	c2 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv-float2(-d1,d2));
	c3 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv+float2(-d1,-d2));	

vv0=dot(c0.rgb,d);
	vv1=dot(c1.rgb,d);
	vv2=dot(c2.rgb,d);
	vv3=dot(c3.rgb,d);

va+=vv0+vv1+vv2+vv3;
	va/=8;

float D=clamp(1+(va-vi)*d*10000,0.5,1.0);
		float4 c;
		c.xyz=float3(D,D,D);
		c.w=1; 
		return c;
}

Amazing!! It worked! Andrew you rock!

cavity02407.jpg

now i'm gonna try ssao.

• Advanced Member
for character modeling, i mainly use image planes linked to multiple perspective views, NOT ortho view. I also use a xray mode to see the images through the model i'm working on.

perspective view association would work in 3dC too, by assigning to 'shortcut' cameras that we create (so as to avoid ortho)

but I'm unaware of an x-ray mode in 3dC ...

Akira, nice work on those shaders!

New version uploaded (18). Changes:

1) Bugfixes

2) New voxel tool - plane

3) Better shadow quality

4) New/improved shaders - soft shadow (2 types), wood

5) Carve tool adjuster - now it adds starting from far plane and subtracts from near plane

I think you will love new wood shadrer - it shows geometrical details much better.

Only DX shaders updated. Open GL/Mac version will come soon.

New version uploaded (18). Changes:

1) Bugfixes

2) New voxel tool - plane

3) Better shadow quality

4) New/improved shaders - soft shadow (2 types), wood

Only DX shaders updated. Open GL/Mac version will come soon.

Thanks Andrew...I hope that the SYMMETRY BUG that i reported earlier was fixed as well...That bug is a BIG ONE..

I also hope. After masses of changes I was not able to break symmetry. Anyway, symmetry syncronisation function is coming soon. It will solve any possible symmetry problems.

Thanks Andrew, is weird that you did not have issues since it happen to me three times.....

Anyways, i'm going to test it out to see how symmetry is working now

With symmetry syncronisation you mean working one half first and then applying symmetry..?....

• Advanced Member
Thanks Andrew, is weird that you did not have issues since it happen to me three times.....

Anyways, i'm going to test it out to see how symmetry is working now

With symmetry syncronisation you mean working one half first and then applying symmetry..?....

Would it be possible that you accidently hit "Tab" key and moved the symmetry plane?

• Advanced Member

Thankyou Andrew.

The carve tool feels much better. Im very pleased with how it behaves now; very predictable and very controllable. A little different then what i thought up but appearantly my idea was flawed since this turned out really well. :) Just out of curiousity could you tell me what problems you encountered with taking the average value? Did you still get "ridges"?

A little bit dissapointed to see no working falloff. I realise youve "only" worked two days on this. Lets just say I hope falloff, profile curves and the voxel pinch and "standard" voxel flatten are still on your todo list. ;)

Im going to play with voxel plane now. :D (was mixing up tools again)

Thanks again.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Voxel plane is fantastic! Here is a request right of the bat. :blink:

Just like move really gets messed up when you leave brush radius linked to pen pressure it has the same negative effect on voxel plane. So if you want to make it easier on the people using it disable that the same way you did for move. :D

Right now it feels really broken and not working UNTILL you disable brush radius linked to pen pressure. Then its suddenly perfect! :blink: Thanks so much for making this Andrew! :)

edit

Im confused. It seemed to not work before when radius was linked to pen pressure and now it seems to be working fine. :s Maybe it was something in my model that messed with it. Im uncertain. Right now it always works. Very weird (both when i link and unlink)

3dioot

PS

Also if i may make a suggestion on the naming of the tools. I would change "voxel plane" to "scrape". That describes perfectly what it does. :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the vox plane.

I've got 3 request about it :

a faloff and an elevation value slider (positive or negative ) (actually, the tool dig a little bit into the model). this tool only miss these 2 option to mimic zbrush flatten tool.

when i use the plane tool, a often need to smooth the planarized surface. Could you mix the vox plane with a smooth ?

Bronze shader is terrific! I'm having what appears to be visual anomalies(not seeing it on the screen grabs on previous page) where concentric rings move around the model as I rotate... Is this a result of how the shader is being rendered, or do I have a problem? Again, amazing progress being made... and I second 3dioot on the scrape rename :)

JUST AWSOME!

This is what 3D sculpting always should have been, the feedback and freedom is fantastic - well done andrew!

Really would like brush profile editor. Please, Please.

Love the Bronze shader - one comment. if there is something way infrom of something else, you get a dark halo around it.

Well done all. Can't wait to see how this can retopo!

Doesn't seem to be saving sculpts on my box though at the moment - anyone else get this?

3DBob

Andrew:

Very nice improvements. Here are some of the good things I've noticed:

Much faster sculpting when using a scaled down, merged "sphere", (lower resolution for lower powered users).

Move tool is even smoother, faster, more predictable than before.

Symmetry plane seems to scale in accordance with "increase resolution"

Navigation is faster with a mouse.

Scaling the brush with the scroll wheel is faster, (but I wish it were faster, still)

I did notice that when merging the "sphere", it starts out incredibly small, as compared to its initial size, (big), in the last release. All menu and dialog text is upper case and looks like the names are what you are using for variables, (at least in the demo version which has expired).

What about starting the voxel mode with a lower resolution "sphere", instead of the very high resolution one present in the current release? Since "increase resolution" now produces a very good and smooth version of a lower resolution "mesh", I think most users will appreciate the speed at which they can work, at the beginning, with a lower resolution voxel sphere.

Thanks for your labor,

Psmith

• Advanced Member

@ rimmason

Its supposed to "dig" into the model. Its scrape and works differently from flatten. It works really predictable once you understand it. The radius dictates how "deep" it will scrape. In other words; it will never scrape away more then deepest point it can find under the radius of your brush. Then pen pressure decides how much it removes. (pressure slider does nothing as far as i can judge) Full pen pressure removes all "clay" untill it reaches the deepest point under the brush radius. Half pressure removes half and so on. I find this much more predictable then some "random" digging or raising value i have to tweak everytime i want it to do something different.

For the people who havent used it yet and wonder whats the difference between flatten here is a movie. First i show flatten then scrape

<a href="http://screencast.com/t/eEO07QWv8l" target="_blank">http://screencast.com/t/eEO07QWv8l</a>

Personally id prefer to see the standard flatten converted to voxel too and then have two tools. One is called flatten which raises (i would prefer average but atm i think it raises and im fine with that) the surface to flatten it out and the other is called scrape and really removes the clay. When you work you put everything under hotkeys anyway and id much rather press a single key to switch to a tool that does a specific thing then to go mess with a slider when i want it to do something different. All personal preference ofcourse but hey; this is how i feel about it. ;) I do love to have falloff working for everything so atleast we agree on that one. :D

Im really happy with the carve brush (despite the obvious things that are still missing). Here is a fun sculpt (still low res but hey its for fun). I was a little inspired by TOXE's fun sculpts. :)

post-949-1222809076_thumb.png

Thanks for the awesome bronze shader! (i do get weird very fine black streaks over my model when i use this shader; do you need screenshots of that to debug?)

Oh and before i forget Andrew. I had no idea what my problems with voxel plane were before. It seems to work very reliably now! Must have been user error somehow. :D

3dioot

PS

@3dbob

This sculpt was started and saved and opened in the new version. Are you sure your not forgetting to press the cube after opening a saved sculpt?

• Advanced Member

@tildee

Thanks. :) Sometimes i feel im only giving critics so its good to hear its not taken that way.

@Artag

When i said i got weird black lines over my model with the bronze shader thats exactly what you described. Your not alone with that problem! :lol:

@rimmason

I thought about the smooth as part of voxel plane for a while and to be honest im against it. The reason is that its very hard to control that aspect of a tool (in fact its not controllable at all). I get pretty smooth strokes from voxel plane so i (personally) dont really see the need. While smoothing does give lots of problems. It makes tools react very differently depending on both scale and resolution of your sculpt. Best example is the clay brush. That has inbuild smooth and really sucks for roughing out sculpts at lower resolutions because of it. I dont want the voxel plane tool to become "unpredictable" just because im working at a lower resolution or using it on some fine structure from a bigger sculpt. I much prefer some manual touchup to unpredictability of tools not to mention the slowdown (smooth will always be processor intensive).

Ofcourse if andrew can think up an inbuild smooth for the voxel plane tool without those negatives i would be all for it. :)

3dioot

@tildee

Thanks. :) Sometimes i feel im only giving critics so its good to hear its not taken that way.

I think the way Andrew works he needs our critics and they are very welcome!

More ideas for new functions and fine-tuning come from community.

That's really a different kind of developing software. (And I like it)

Tilo