3DCoat Forums

Multiply Layer

stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

I use layers in PS and Coat, but have no real idea what they actually mean by their name,it is usually just a process of clicking around like a chimp untill something looks good.When I first got into 3dcoat I made a few models and got them painted up,but in Carrara they were always really dark and I had to have my lights bumped up to 300 or whatever just so I could see anything in detail.Now as it turned out when I did the "merge to Normal map" bit, what I did not know is that some or all the layers were in "Multiply " mode. If I would have changed them to standard blend everything would be ok. Today I baked a model and 10 layers were in Multiply, the model was really dark even though I had used a white shader as the base.So I had to change them all to standard.

Am I missing something here? Is there an advantage to Multiply , Or have I clicked/not clicked something? I am willing to be educated about this. But do not get too complicated please.....just plain English..... :(

Do you need a multiply example ?

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/layer-blend-modes/multiply/

The Darken group, is made up of the Darken, Multiply, Color Burn, and Linear Burn blend modes.

In photo retouching and restoration work, one of the most common uses for the Multiply blend mode is to easily darken photos that have faded over time.

• Reputable Contributor

I have not asked Andrew but what I would like to see is the shader layer be place to directly above Layer "0" and not up the layer chain. The reason I believe it is set to multiply is so that the shader color matches as close as possible to the one in the voxel room. Setting it to standard will make it much brighter than the voxel room shader color. What confuses the user is that the multiply layer is placed higher up the layer chain after mergiing (baking)

I will put in a feature request to place the baked multiply shader layer right above layer "0"

Also if you want to see the true colors of your painting like in Photoshop, then under the under the View menu choose Flat shade (No paintroom lighting taken into account).

Low smooth shade gives closer to how the colors really look also but some lighting in taken into account.

Smooth shading takes in more of the lighting and shadows you have set up in the Paintroom.

Plus setting your Ambient and Primary light intensity makes a difference too. That is a subjective call there depending upon what software you use for rendering and whether you are running said software in DX or OpenGL being that OpenGl seems to render colors darker in most cases.

You just a have to fiddle with it to get a happy balance.

AO is always baked to Molulate2X for it to correctly work.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Actually, I just set mine to Standard Blend and got the results as I see them in 3DC outright. With the way it is now, it darkens everything. The point of making layers use standard blend by default, instead of multiply, makes more sense to me.